PDA

View Full Version : Fun project

Ruddy
23rd December 2011, 07:17 PM
This is a project that was made with my 14 year old grandaughter. She bandsawed the sides and shaped them to the curve on the disc sander. She also did most of the shaping of the drawer pull.The sides and the drawer front are from some of Greg Wards Rosewood. The tambour slats are Olive Ash veneer glued to thin strips of Tasmanian Oak.
The tambour is connected to the drawer so when the drawer is opened the tambour retreats.When the drawer is closed the tambour closes.
The box is finished with wipe on poly and then waxed.

corbs
23rd December 2011, 10:55 PM
I really really really really like that:2tsup:

where did you get plans from?:rolleyes:

ajw
23rd December 2011, 11:00 PM
That's an excellent idea, and well executed. I think my daughter would like one of these too. Your own design? I'd be interested in how the drawer attaches. Any chance of some more photos and construction details?

cheers,

ajw

wheelinround
24th December 2011, 08:28 AM
spiffy looking box Ruddy well done grand daughter:2tsup:

Ruddy
25th December 2011, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the comments. I got the information to make this box from this link.
Making Tambour | Articles | Woodworkers Journal (http://www.woodworkerjournal.com/Main/Articles/Making_Tambour_8273.aspx)

Also, this PDF file gives a full sized template of the sides.

http://www.woodworkerjournal.com/Uploads/Public/Documents/tambour-box-templates.pdf

If you need more details I will post some more pictures of the box unassembled.
There is a futher you tube video of a similar box made buy a chap in Argentina. This shows how the box opens etc.

Tambour 1 :: Tambourbox2.mp4 video by Fernandoindia - Photobucket (http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i250/Fernandoindia/WoodWorking/Tambour%201/?action=view&current=Tambourbox2.mp4)

munruben
26th December 2011, 03:45 PM
The video is good but a few pics would be great and welcome. nice work on the box by the way..

wheelinround
27th December 2011, 07:58 AM
Ruddy thanks for the links :2tsup:

oldbob13
28th December 2011, 10:49 PM
I think that you will find that this box was in Fine Woodworking March / April 1989 in an article by Jamie Russell.
The article is quite detailed.
Many craft stores and galleries have them as they are still made by by Gez N at Taralga, NSW
BobT

Paulphot
7th January 2012, 09:16 PM
Great looking box, I will definately be adding this to my "to do" list. Thanks for sharing. The plans are in Fine Woodworking issue 075.

Avery
7th January 2012, 09:42 PM
I have just started making this. I have done the tambour and the draw. I am just finishing the templates for the sides etc.. I need to get a 3/8 router template guide to do the sides.

If anyone wants the complete .pdf of the plan PM me.

artme
8th January 2012, 07:53 PM
What agreat collaborative effort!! Well done both of you!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Mulgabill
8th January 2012, 08:41 PM
I have just started making this. I have done the tambour and the draw. I am just finishing the templates for the sides etc.. I need to get a 3/8 router template guide to do the sides.

If anyone wants the complete .pdf of the plan PM me.

Received a copy of the drawings from Avery,:2tsup: so now another project has been added to my todo list.

pan713
15th January 2012, 09:53 AM
As above