PDA

View Full Version : Clamping Solution

Scribbly Gum
24th December 2011, 01:22 PM
Problem:
Long Mirror and short clamps.
How to .....?

I have been tossing around various ideas to solve the short clamps dilemma. I just don't have enough clamps long enough to span the length of the mirror - essential for the glue-up.

Here is what I came up with:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-x5B8H2bayh4/TvUR1hlt-lI/AAAAAAAAALs/3GN06PbHSN8/s1600/DSC00309.JPG (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-x5B8H2bayh4/TvUR1hlt-lI/AAAAAAAAALs/3GN06PbHSN8/s1600/DSC00309.JPG)

This is a long mirror, so the table saw and router table were pressed into service as benchtops, and the gap between them became the pivot point for the solution.

I clamped a pair of cauls across the middle, and used my longest clamps from this point in both directions.
The clamps pull against each other - with the top caul in between them to keep them straight. One happy side effect is that I have adjustable clamping pressure at every corner.
I only had time for a dummy run this morning. The real thing will have to wait until after Xmouse.
Cool!

You can see the rest on my blog.
Cheers
SG

wheelinround
24th December 2011, 01:30 PM
SG well done like the idea muchly.

Other alternative is ratchet tie-downs using cawls so they dont cut in.:2tsup:

orraloon
24th December 2011, 02:33 PM
Nice fix SG. I may use that one day.
McJing has clamp ends that attach to a length of wood and were about $22 per clamp for any length you like. I got 2 sets when I did the bed build early this year and they work quite well.
Off the shelf clamps can get quite costly for long ones.
Regards
John

markharrison
24th December 2011, 02:44 PM
I did the same as John however I found in practice that they needed to be in opposing pairs on both sides of the posts as the short clamping error tended to rack the posts out of square in respect to the rails. That might be more of a comment on the quality of the M&T joints though!

I like your solution though.

HOOKED.UP
24th December 2011, 02:51 PM
Pipe Clamps.

They are reasonably priced. You will have to buy the Gal pipe separately and have it threaded.

You can have a clamp to any size you want.

This is a very old idea, so may have been lost in the mists of time. :U

Paul.

Scribbly Gum
24th December 2011, 04:39 PM
Pipe Clamps.

They are reasonably priced. You will have to buy the Gal pipe separately and have it threaded.

You can have a clamp to any size you want.

This is a very old idea, so may have been lost in the mists of time. :U

Paul.

Thanks Paul.
I do have two pipe clamps of enough length to cover this mirror, ....but ... I want to save one as a diagonal clamp in case I have to correct any racking that might have thrown the frame out of square. Couldn't do the whole clamping trick with only one pipe clamp, so here was my workaround.
Cheers
SG

Woodwould
24th December 2011, 05:06 PM
Good idea! :thyel:

In the past, I have used a couple of boards, say, 4" x 1" somewhat longer than the thing being clamped. I screwed a square cleat to both ends of each board, leaving a gap of a few inches at each end between cleat and workpiece. I then drove opposing wedges between each cleat and the workpiece. If it goes out of square, you just tap one or two of the wedges in the direction that you want it straightened until it's square.

orraloon
24th December 2011, 10:19 PM
I have also used a combination of battons clamped to a solid core door and wedges. This was years ago before I had any sash clamps. The method was from a woodwork book. Works ok but takes time and a bit of phluffing about.
Regards
John