PDA

View Full Version : Pine Cone Scraps

dai sensei
27th December 2011, 08:15 PM
Gawdelpus (John) came around on boxing day and we were going to cast some more larger pine cones and Banksia. I start the pinecones by cutting off the leafy bits with a bandsaw on 4 sides before I sand them down round to fit my vertical tubular silicon molds. As I cut off the leafy bits, I was thinking hmm, what can I do with these :rolleyes:

Anyway, did the first cast of the banksia with some bright gold resin and had some left over, so put the leafy bits in a block mold, then poured in the leftover resin. It only approximately half filled the mold, so thought I will fill it next time I had some leftovers. Well the next cast 10 minutes later of green was a bit short, so when I made up some more, I did enough to fill the block mold too. The yellow hadn't gone off, but thick enough such that I knew they wouldn't mix.

When it had set and I took the block from the mold I noticed a pretty interesting mix of wooden leafy bits and almost perfect half green half yellow resin. Obviously the yellow had formed some holes though, no pressure, but were filled with the green under the pressure. I couldn't resist turning one to see how it looked.

Fitted to a gold Baron and finished with CA to cover the wooden bits.

Cheers

Treecycle
27th December 2011, 08:45 PM
Looks fantastic.:2tsup: Couldn't have done better if you had been trying.

gawdelpus
27th December 2011, 09:48 PM
Came out real nice Neil. One thing about casting it sure opens up the horizons hehe. I will have a play tomorrow with those feathers you glued up for me, still a ways off perfecting these but still trying hehe, :D cheers ~ John :2tsup::2tsup:

Perfect Pens
27th December 2011, 10:18 PM
Nice work guys !! you both never cease to amaze me with your trials and experiments:2tsup:
Cheers
Tony.

cookie48
27th December 2011, 10:57 PM
Waste not want not. That is very nice. well done

Pariss
28th December 2011, 05:10 AM
Great work Neil. Looks amazing. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Penpal
28th December 2011, 08:22 AM
Neil,

You are a braver man than me to coin a phrase Gunga Din using the bandsaw to trim the cones I felt uneasy thinking about the catching possibilities, glad you came out unscathed.

Looking at the pen with amazement and high praise for the most professional result acheived. The blended colours, kit with top finish created that magnificent result.

Ripper mate, happy New Year to you.

Kind regards Peter.

sturina
28th December 2011, 08:33 AM
Another interesting use of left overs. I am always left amazed at things that turn up on the forum. Great looking pen.

BoomerangInfo
28th December 2011, 11:15 AM
Hey, that looks pretty good!

Or, I could be facetious and say it looks like someone threw up in your resin pot :p

Russell.

Boxerman
28th December 2011, 02:19 PM
Very nice looking pen. Very well done.:2tsup:

plantagenon
28th December 2011, 09:57 PM
They are beautiful Neil. Its now a competition between you and Amos for the finest cone. Really nice.

Greg

SDB777
29th December 2011, 01:26 AM
Was wondering...

Are you using 'pressure' with the pours your doing?

Great looking pen too!!

Scott B

dai sensei
29th December 2011, 10:38 PM
Are you using 'pressure' with the pours your doing?

Usually yes. Sometime the pot is full though, in which case leave it on the bandsaw table, which is what I use before the pot anyway.

rhossack
30th December 2011, 01:14 AM
Very nice sir ...

munruben
30th December 2011, 09:05 PM
Nice work Neil. looks great. :2tsup::2tsup: