PDA

View Full Version : Spiral Staicases

reybec
27th January 2005, 12:15 AM
Hi all

First post so here goes.

I want to build a spiral staicase and being just a Cabinetmaker i'm not really sure how to go about it.

So i was wondering if anyone could give me some clues as to how to build one such as advice,links etc.

Any help appreciated thanks

marineman
28th January 2005, 12:19 AM
Reybec

I'll leave woodworking advice up to those who know.

But I do know that if you use google search engine,it will give heaps of data. I remember some months ago doing just that and spent hours looking at the web sites. Lots of American based info but just as valid. some good Aussie ones if recollect.

As you're a cabinet maker I assume that you'll be pretty handy with a tool or 2 so the info you find you can apply to your own situation. As long as what ever you build meets Australian Standard "snakes and Ladders" code. you can even get a copy of that on line.

Hope this helps

seriph1
1st February 2005, 02:57 PM
g'day mate - why not build a rocketship too? :D:D:D:D:D Just kidding! You have picked a difficult first staircase to build and good on you for doing so. If it were me, I would search out plans and study how other's look. Please detail what the room upstairs will be used for, because it actually matters because there are a whole bunch of things that you WONT get up one.

:)

Five Thumbs
1st February 2005, 03:45 PM
Hi Reybec

"I want to build a spiral staicase and being just a Cabinetmaker i'm not really sure how to go about it."

Oh, to be "just a Cabinetmaker" :D

BTW the advice about the Google search is sound. You will get heaps of info. Don't neglect your local library either.

Have fun

5T

seriph1
1st February 2005, 03:49 PM
yeah! :D

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-26,GGLD:en&q=building+a+spiral+stair

Jim Carroll
1st February 2005, 08:30 PM
Before you build the spiral staircase have a think about how you are going to get the furniture up the stairs or do you have easier access.
A mate of mine is a furniture removalist and hates any house he goes to that is double storey with a spiral stair case.
Have you ever tried to get a queen size bed up or down one of these.

reybec
1st February 2005, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Access for getting furniture etc upstairs is not a problem.
I know its going to be difficult to build.
I had done the searches before hand and i guess i was just wanting to know if anyone else had built one before and what their experiences were.I'm now thinking of buying one already made and just installing it (might be a bit easier) anyway thanks guys

seriph1
1st February 2005, 10:47 PM
Reybec

I lived with a spiral for many years and they take a bit of getting used to. But they are a great space saver - the things I always had trouble with were: steel handrails coming adrift (they are a big jigsaw puzzle type affair, with hex-head screws holding them in place - with all the vibration, they come loose and the railing can popout)

socks! DO NOT walk down the stairs in socks - I am referring to polished timber stairs here ..... the quirk of spirals is the inner tread is thinner than the outer, so you need all the grip you can get ......and it's a killer ride when you miss.

grog! walking upstairs ONLY is recommended when p1ssed - one walks down to have a tinkle at one's peril - the combination of semi conscious, semi naked and semi sane is bad when mixed with a spiral

:D

I had always wanted on though and learned to manage its nuances - heh. Those cast iron ones are pretty as hell..... oh and finally, they come is a range of diameters. Get the absolute largest diameter one you can fit in - mine was 1400 from memory and just not wide enough

Steve

soundman
1st February 2005, 11:20 PM
I have a book here ( somewhere)that was my fathers specificaly on staircase joinery It is an original edition but I have seen it as a recent reprint. It covers all sorts of staircases in detail.

Forest Gump
1st February 2005, 11:23 PM
Coming from a stair making backround, I would recomend that you keep away from this type of stair. In most cases you can get a conventional stair in where a spiral goes, with a bit of stairwell modifacation of course. But the end result is well worth it.

Many unhappy people have walked into the stairmaking shop wanting there spiral removed and a conventional stair replace it. The main reason for this were accidents, some quite serious.

When I have built stairs for friends or myself, I have always stayed away from winders where I can. The spiral staircase consists of winders only. The conventional stair that will replace the spiral will still have winders but not as many and the winders will be a lot wider/safer.

Do a search for stair winders to get an idea of what I am talking about.

Daniel