PDA

View Full Version : Another Hollow Form - Red Gum this time...

yarrabilly
29th December 2011, 08:52 AM
Hi All,

At the risk of boring everyone with my recent stuff, another hollow form for your perusal. Red Gum, 300mm wide, 255mm high. Turned green, finished with multiple coats of DO and final wax and buffing. Comments and criticism very welcome.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i436/yarrabilly/P1110311-small.jpg

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i436/yarrabilly/P1110326-small.jpg

And with the happy recipient for scale...
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i436/yarrabilly/P1110568-small.jpg

Thanks for looking.

john

Cliff Rogers
29th December 2011, 08:56 AM
:2tsup:

Rattrap
29th December 2011, 10:11 AM
wow thats a really nice piece.:2tsup:
you turned it green, aren't you concerned it may warp/twist/crack?

vk4
29th December 2011, 10:25 AM
this looks really good , it will be interesting to see the final shape as the wood dries .

well done, I have some of this timber , but it's 10+years old and as dry as, and as Hard as, real fun to turn not.

Jeff

joevan
29th December 2011, 10:32 AM
Hello Yarrabilly.
Stunning is the word. I would want to get some advise from you in order to produce items of such beauty.

Joevan

dr4g0nfly
29th December 2011, 10:33 AM
If that's the result of a session or 2 on the lathe, be boring by all means be very boring.

It looks great and always please to see finished products.:2tsup:

NeilS
29th December 2011, 11:24 AM
At the risk of boring everyone.....

Bore away, John.

If turned green, it will be interesting to see how it seasons up. If it warps it may may make an even more interesting form.

yarrabilly
29th December 2011, 02:45 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the comments.

Re: warping or cracking, I'm expecting it to move around some although I'm thinking ( hoping ) it won't crack. It's been about a month since it was turned and there has definitely been some movement but nothing too extreme and no cracks. A bit of warping doesn't worry me too much as I quite like the organic look. Turned to a reasonably even wall thickness ( approx 6mm ) and no pith so hopefully will continue to dry evenly and not crack. Getting the wall thickness even close to consistent was a real challenge as the thing was moving a lot on the lathe and was clearly out of round before I was done. I guess only time will tell...

Jeff - wouldnt even like to think about turning something this size from dry redgum. Turned a form about a 3rd the size of this one from bone dry jarrah and it took pretty much a whole day... Not the most fun I've ever had on a lathe - although I did like the end result.

Thanks again for the kind comments.

john

TTIT
29th December 2011, 11:19 PM
Very nice looking piece - suitably impressed :2tsup::2tsup:

cava
29th December 2011, 11:57 PM
Envious. :2tsup:

Willy Nelson
30th December 2011, 01:08 AM
I reckon you have done a bloody good Job! Well done
Willy
Jarrahland

Dalboy
30th December 2011, 07:01 AM
Boring no we like people to share. Great piece of turning lovely wood as well, give me something else to have a go at.

cookie48
31st December 2011, 01:01 AM
Aint nuffin rong wiv dat one. Honestly very nice looking piece ( i mean the vase for all you blokes thinking the wrong thing) and the finish is great. Here is wishing you well in no cracks.

GregD
31st December 2011, 05:54 AM
Yeh well that is what sets humans apart from computer made products, thank goodness. That is a job well done!!! Keep boreing us with work like that.
:2tsup:

yarrabilly
31st December 2011, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. Much appreciated. Always good to get the perspective from a well informed and unbiased community.

john