PDA

View Full Version : Hare & Forbes WL-46 Electronic Variable Speed Lathe

PEN
29th December 2011, 11:43 AM
I am looking to upgrade my lathe. At present I have a 1/3 hp, basic model, 5 spe3ed that meets my general use requirements. Only a weekend warrior turner, so I am not about buying a Rolls Royce.

I have made the decision to upgrade and have done the usual search for both second hand and new. I have found a second hand Teknatool TL 1500 about 10 years old that looks like good value as compared to say the Hare & Forbes WL-46 Electronic Variable Speed. Both about the same price range.

Does any one have any experience with the H&F WL-46 or views on the value and performance of this lathe as compared to other options. I am open to other suggestions that may be offered for consideration.

PEN:):)

Big Shed
29th December 2011, 01:39 PM
There are quite a few threads here discussing this lathe, rather than regurgitate that information I would point you to those threads.

Suffice to say I haven't heard from an unhappy owner of the WL-46, I am certainly a very happy owner and would buy one again.

PEN
29th December 2011, 03:39 PM
Big Shed,
I did do a search for wl-36 but it didn't come up with the the thread listed at the bottom of this thread. The fact that I didn't look down there when I posted the thread. probably didn't help my cause, but you learn something everday!

Your "Changing of the Guard" thread is exceptional and demonstrates why you made your choice. It is exactly what I was looking for and has now also killed off the questions I have asked about a MiniMax copy lathe on the "Market Place" site.

I will go and look at the wl-36 at Hare and Forbes next week when they re-open in the new year.

Thanks for the help.

Big Shed
29th December 2011, 05:24 PM
PEN, no probs, but if you searched for WL-36 that would explain why you didn't find that thread:)

PEN
29th December 2011, 08:36 PM
Big Shed,

For future reference and not to regurgitate a topic in the future,
what should I have used as a word/phrase in the BB search engine for the H&F WL-36 Lathe?

In the past I have often searched by the member name where I knew they were a subscriber to the thread, but where this is new detail have I misssed some of the protocols for the search engine? Is it a caps issue?

I will try some experimentation?

PEN :):)

dai sensei
29th December 2011, 10:23 PM
I searched on Hare & Forbes Lathe, amongst others came up with this one - http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/feedback-hare-forbes-lathe-wl-46-a-141626/

PEN
30th December 2011, 06:19 AM
dai sensei,
Thank you for your reply.
The point Big Shed made is correct. When I searched WL-36 there was no result.
Last night i searched the more generic phrase Hare & Forbes lathe as you have done and came up with the same result as.
The protocol seems to be that the search should be of a more generic nature
rather than searching the specific model number etc.

Learn't something very beneficial for the future through this exercise.

Thank you.

Big Shed
30th December 2011, 06:09 PM
Big Shed,

For future reference and not to regurgitate a topic in the future,
what should I have used as a word/phrase in the BB search engine for the H&F WL-36 Lathe?

In the past I have often searched by the member name where I knew they were a subscriber to the thread, but where this is new detail have I misssed some of the protocols for the search engine? Is it a caps issue?

I will try some experimentation?

PEN :):)

Sorry for late reply, away from home and on wireless broadband.

The point I was making is that you said you searched on WL-36, when the lathe is actually a WL-46. If your first search doesn't return what you expect (or want) try some different terms, in this case perhaps "variable speed lathe" or Hare & Forbes lathe", confine both searches to the Woodturning forum and you should get something to point you in the right direction.

When a subject such as this this one has been dealt with at length people are often reluctant to go over the same ground again.

I hope you will find the lathe you are looking for, IMHO you can't go wrong with this lathe it is verysolid and very quiet and powerful.

If you have specific questions not already dealt with, or perhaps you haven't understood some aspect, please feel free to ask questions here and I will do my best to answer them.

PS I just searched on "wl46" (no quote marks) and got a lot of relevant threads on the WL-46 18x47 lathe from Hare & Forbes.

PEN
31st December 2011, 12:54 PM
Big Shed
Thank you for all your help and advice on this post.
I will have a look at H& F next week.
Happy New Year to everyone at WOODWORK FORUMS!!!!!!!!!!