PDA

View Full Version : Detailed Sanding

draco
30th December 2011, 02:28 PM
Hi all,

First up Happy New Year. I have a book case that I have sanded back as far as I can with a mouse sander. The problem I have however is that the book case has got some grooves in it, meaning that I can not get my sander into those spots to sand away the previous stain. The reason I am sanding it, was that it had a bit of a smell to it (my wife found it on roadside pick up and thought it might be something we could use :D). Anyway, I only have these parts left before I can stain it and use it.

http://members.amnet.net.au/~draco3/Bookcase/bookcase1.jpg
http://members.amnet.net.au/~draco3/Bookcase/bookcase2.jpg

I was wondering if I bought something like a dremel with a sanding attachment, if that might be useful for these parts given how small they are. I understand another option is to get maybe some dowling and attach sand paper to that and run that back and forth, but I think my arm and shoulder will give out way before I could finish it. Has anyone got a good suggestion in a speedier way to remove the stain in these areas so I can get this little project done?

ian
30th December 2011, 02:38 PM
Looks like the stain is mostly in the finish.
You could try using paint stripper, followed by a dowel wrapped with sand paper

_fly_
30th December 2011, 03:20 PM
I'm going by hand instead of machine. I like the dowel with a bit of sandpaper around it. One of those foamy blocks with sandpaper (commercial ones) around it or even that foam that they pack pc monitors in (squishy one, not polystyrene) with sandpaper around it. If its the wifes show her how to do it by hand as well (half the time).

vk4
30th December 2011, 09:07 PM
HAve a look at the RENOVATORS TOOL , it is an oscillating sander
(FEIN MULTI MASTER ) clone.

There is a kit that comes with several profiles that will fit the T&G grooves on the back and the routed channels on the front .

Alternatively a paint scraper for the T&G grooves , and as has been suggested dowel & sandpaper for the routed grooves.

Jeff

Christos
30th December 2011, 09:39 PM
If it was me I would hand sand this detail. Might take a while but when it done you are buggered and you might have a glowing feeling. I would also look at ensuring that the paper used is not the one that clog up quickly.

Groggy
30th December 2011, 09:50 PM
I agree with Christos and would do it by hand with a sanding block. I've been sanding for the last three days and that would take 1/2hour. Make sure your paper is fresh and cuts well.

goodwoody
30th December 2011, 10:06 PM
Why not make a small scraper that fits the moulds and that should remove the finish in next to no time. Old hacksaw blade perhaps? Damien.

Artesano
30th December 2011, 11:31 PM
:whs: - first a scraper , than hand sanding . 90% of the job is done with the scraper:2tsup:

draco
30th December 2011, 11:33 PM
Any ideas on a scrapper that I can use? Picture of scrappers that might get this job done?

Heilander
31st December 2011, 12:17 AM
Sundries,Warner/AllPro Scrapers & Putty Knives, Cutlery ~ O-Gee Paint Co. (http://www.o-geepaint.com/Sundries/Cutlery.shtml)

they're called moulding scrapers with different blades for all the crooks and nannies :wink:

pineforyou
4th January 2012, 09:26 PM
Hi Drayco,
I think this is one of my bookcases! If you look on the back it may have Whytecliffe Pty Ltd Brisbane.
However,.If I were to get one of my staff to remove what is left on the bookcase after you sanded it,I would have them use thinners and metho (50/50) and steel wool and rub the finish off with one rag and keep another clean rag,wet with thinners and wipe off the remaining stain and lacquer.( keep the surface wet as if it dries it will go hard again) Once you've removed as much as possible,let it dry fully and then sand off any remaining lacquer.Id use a 180 grit followed up with a 320 grit prior to staining and relacquering.
good luck!
regards
mark

draco
4th January 2012, 10:29 PM
Thanks all.

Mark not sure, but it was being used at some point somewhere medical. My wife happened to stumble on it during road side pickup. Sounds like the bookcase has had quite an adventure if indeed it came from Brisbane to Perth.

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely try and follow yours and other board members advice on getting these last remaining bits of stain off so that I can finish this book case off.