PDA

View Full Version : What hinges for cabinet drop leaf ?

Dengue
31st December 2011, 07:42 AM
I have a 15mm plywood cabinet 750H x 750W x 500D for my outdoor BBQ, and wish to put a hinged extension drop leaf 500x 500 on the side so when raised it is flush with the top of the cabinet, and preferably without any hinges interfering with the continuous line of the top surface. It will need to be strong as the leaf extension will take up to 20kg loading.

Can anyone please advise on the best hinge arrangement to use, and the best way to latch it in position?

All ideas and suggestions are most welcome

Dengue
31st December 2011, 07:50 AM
I found an image of a hinged arrangement on the Rockler site. It looks so simple. I will probably use a piano hinge along the full width of the extension leaf.

Can anyone please suggest a locally sourced support bracket?

AlexS
31st December 2011, 08:47 AM
The brass stays and rule joint hinges (the sort traditionally used for drop side tables) are available from Graeme Brown Antiques (http://www.gbrownantiques.com.au/pdfs/Hardware%20Catalog.pdf). They are very good with phone orders.

Dengue
31st December 2011, 11:49 AM
thanks for this link, Alex, but I was looking for something a bit more pedestrian ( not so flash or expensive)

A Duke
31st December 2011, 01:06 PM
I wouldn't think a rule joint would be very suitable for an outdoor table anyway.
Regards

Template Tom
31st December 2011, 03:46 PM
I found an image of a hinged arrangement on the Rockler site. It looks so simple. I will probably use a piano hinge along the full width of the extension leaf.

Can anyone please suggest a locally sourced support bracket?

Jill
Have a couple in my shed I'll photograph and I think Haffelle may be your source of supply or Hettich
Tom

dr4g0nfly
1st January 2012, 05:44 AM
You've always got the choice of Counter Hinges (http://www.isaaclord.co.uk/productDetail.aspx?product=1283&subCat=89&parentCat=5/89);

or Parliament Hinges (http://www.isaaclord.co.uk/productDetail.aspx?product=1762&subCat=000)

But for a 500mm worktop carrying the sort of weight your talking about you will need a strut or support of some sort.

Dengue
1st January 2012, 07:54 AM
thanks for your contributions everyone. I went to Bunnies yesterday, and they have a "Desk Stay" that does the same purpose of holding up the drop leaf in position, but they only sell the very light weight small ones which are not suitable for my purposes.

So I am still open to suggestions for the support brackets

Happy New Year everyone :)

dr4g0nfly
2nd January 2012, 12:51 AM
Just had a thought for the stays. How about a swing out (or maybe 2) stay. In the same way that the leg swings out on a Drop Leaf table with a Rule Joint.

Dengue
2nd January 2012, 07:29 AM
Many thanks for the suggestion, Dragonfly, but what is a swing out stay ? Do you have any links to photos of them on the Internet?

dr4g0nfly
2nd January 2012, 09:15 AM
Jim,

sorry, when I posted I could see what I was thinking but could not think how to find a link.

We used to have a big camper with a lift up table arrangement and I've managed to find the link with the types of support brackets you want to view.

Table leaf supports (http://www.ezone4.co.uk/shelf_accessories.htm)

The first is one you've already discounted.

the second is a lift and latch arrangement, okay but for light duty only.

the third image is the one I think you you want. It is a swing out 'A' frame. Something that could be made out of wood and hinged to your main cabinet. Or if you've the room, two working opposite edges.

Dengue
2nd January 2012, 09:28 AM
many thanks Dragonfly, that is exactly the sort of thing I am looking for. Will have a look at the local 4WD and camping shops

Template Tom
2nd January 2012, 09:13 PM
Here is another bracket no identification

Dengue
2nd January 2012, 10:32 PM
many thanks Tom, that looks the bee's knees too- quite strong looking too. I don't suppose you recall where you go it from :rolleyes:

Template Tom
3rd January 2012, 08:37 AM
many thanks Tom, that looks the bee's knees too- quite strong looking too. I don't suppose you recall where you go it from :rolleyes:

Sorry Jill
This has been in my shed for over 12 years that was when I retired and I have no idea how long I had it before that when I was cabinetmaking.
Just as a matterof interest I have produced a perfect dovetail with my Super Jig. How is your Elliptical boxes going is there anything I can help ypu with. Have a good New Year
Tom

Acco
3rd January 2012, 09:36 AM
I don't suppose you recall where you go it from :rolleyes:

I've bought those ones at Bunnings in the past and yes they are pretty strong too. I used them on a few BBQs that I used to make. Think I've still got a couple in the shed somewhere.