PDA

View Full Version : Your 2nd hand tool buy of the year for 2011

Pac man
31st December 2011, 05:30 PM
Hi all,

What was your second hand tool best buy(s) of the year for 2011?

Mine was this stanley 6 for $5.

Sure its got a red frog, 2 inch cap iron, non standard tote and incorrect lever cap but its got the 3 patent dates on the base and thats all that matters to me

Andreas87
31st December 2011, 09:45 PM
Here’s my best buy of the year.
3 E.A Berg planes and 4 E.A Berg chisels for 70 dol bought at an antic fear in Bergen. Not really a bargain compared to eBay but in Norway a 0,5l coca cola costs 2,5 dol to put things in perspective.

I made new handles for the tang chisels and tuned up the jointer plane with some linseed oil and a throat opening inlay. Haven’t gotten around to the jack or rabbet plane yet but looking forward to it :U

Happy new year everyone! :burnt:

Pac man
31st December 2011, 09:58 PM
Nice one Andreas! Happy new year.

Berg chisels can sell from $2 to $90ea here or on ebay depending on size, where and/or whom you are buying from.

Are Bergs rare where you are?

by the way Coke in Aust is $3.50 for 600ml.

Andreas87
31st December 2011, 11:02 PM
Wow and i thought Norway was expensive!

I probably can’t say that they are rear, seeing that Norway is right next to Sweden. It’s the first time I have seen one off the internet though… I found it on an antic fear that’s in town two times a year so for me personally Berg tools don’t come around often. :rolleyes:

I hope I can find a #6 Stanley for 5 dol, that’s really a bargain considering the condition yours appear to be in! :2tsup:

Virgil
1st January 2012, 09:02 AM
Morning all.

I was very happy with the Sweetheart Stanley No10 I bought for $70. The SW110 in a ute load of stuff for $50 was pretty good. My fave was the toolbox I won recently on ebay. Lots of good stuff in there and, right down in the bottom corner a Bedrock 604. Worth more than what I paid for the whole box. I think the free Stanley 140 from an old friend of mine was the best bargain of the year however.

Happy New Year folks. May 2012 be filled with rusty goodness.

Cheers,
Virg.

Pac man
1st January 2012, 09:06 AM
I definitely need to go a huntin' with you Virgil.

Glad to see that they all went to a good home

Vann
1st January 2012, 12:53 PM
My best haul in 2011 was a Stanley bench plane. My son went 'round to his grandparents back in May to help clean out their garage, before heading for work (he works part time at a local supermarket to help fund his way through university). Now these grandparents are my ex's parents (my first wife) so I'm not exactly their favourite. Poppa was a carpenter in his day. I jokingly suggested to my son that if he came back with a plane I'd pick him up from work at 10pm (he always asks me to pick him up - I always tell him to catch the bus).

He text me to say he had one. He told me his grandfather had a huge one I couldn't have, and a smaller one that his mother sometimes borrows (!?!), but I could have this rusty one with a broken handle. So I'm thinking an old No.4 or similar.

When I picked up my son he pulled it out of his bag, and even in the poor light in the car I could immediately make out the cut-outs in the sides. A No.10 http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/eusa_dance.gif.
I stopped the car to have a closer look at the funny handles and the side knickers. It's a Stanley No.10¼ http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/occasion14.gif I'm stoked.

The photo below shows it without irons. It is complete, but with broken tote and non-original tote bolt & nut. I think it's a type #13 or #14 (it's a bit hard to tell with rebate planes).

Sorry, yes this is a gloat, but probably ineligible for this thread as I didn't actually buy it.

Cheers, Vann.

BobL
1st January 2012, 01:51 PM
A Stanley 45, including the full box of blades. A friend of mine tried selling it and was so upset at the offers he was made he decided to just give it to me for nothing.

I managed to pick up heaps of stuff for nothing in 2011. A Dawn offset Vice (http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=192994&stc=1&d=1325384016) that just needed derusting and some new jaws. My brother gave me a whole pile of power tools including a festo ROS, and my BIL gave a a $900 welder on permanent loan. Twas indeed an very good tool year.

andrewr79
1st January 2012, 02:06 PM
I think the sweatheart Stanley #80 I picked up for $25, or the Z-Vice for $50 would be my favorite purchases for the year.

Pac man
1st January 2012, 04:11 PM
My best haul in 2011 was a Stanley bench plane. My son went 'round to his grandparents back in May to help clean out their garage, before heading for work (he works part time at a local supermarket to help fund his way through university). Now these grandparents are my ex's parents (my first wife) so I'm not exactly their favourite. Poppa was a carpenter in his day. I jokingly suggested to my son that if he came back with a plane I'd pick him up from work at 10pm (he always asks me to pick him up - I always tell him to catch the bus).

He text me to say he had one. He told me his grandfather had a huge one I couldn't have, and a smaller one that his mother sometimes borrows (!?!), but I could have this rusty one with a broken handle. So I'm thinking an old No.4 or similar.

When I picked up my son he pulled it out of his bag, and even in the poor light in the car I could immediately make out the cut-outs in the sides. A No.10 http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/eusa_dance.gif.
I stopped the car to have a closer look at the funny handles and the side knickers. It's a Stanley No.10¼ http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/occasion14.gif I'm stoked.

The photo below shows it without irons. It is complete, but with broken tote and non-original tote bolt & nut. I think it's a type #13 or #14 (it's a bit hard to tell with rebate planes).

Sorry, yes this is a gloat, but probably ineligible for this thread as I didn't actually buy it.

Cheers, Vann.

Gloats are good and free stuff with a good story should always be encouraged.

Scribbly Gum
1st January 2012, 06:36 PM
It has been a wonderful year, as I have recently retired and now get to spend more time with my hand tools in my cave - I mean my shed.

There are three standouts from 2011 for me, simply because of the pleasure they give me in using them.

A little Lakeside 18 inch 10 point panel saw sold by Montgomery Ward, but likely made by Atkins - very aggressive in the cut.
A Disston D8 style half-back saw. Length of blade, 350mm; 0.8mm thick plate and 10tpi crosscut. This from the creative genius of IanW, and simply beautiful.
and a lovely craftsman made side rebate plane in Rosewood and steel plate. I wish I had its mate in left handed format, but who knows if one was ever made.

All of these are a joy to use, and make cave-time so much better.
Happy New Year to all
SG