PDA

View Full Version : They're all sold

LiliB
1st January 2012, 11:59 AM
Hi everyone
Well the experiment on Ebay came up trumps. I advertised the little truck and added in my commentary that we would be offering our collection over the coming months. The gentleman who bought the truck ended up buying the whole collection

So that must mean that David will be starting again. At the moment he is trying his hand at new projects on the scroll saw. I bought him three new books, one of which was on intarsia, but he was more interested in the scrollsaw boxes and the book of chess sets. He's completed one chess set (yet to be finished with lacquer, and a box to be made to hold it), and is currently working on a beautiful little fretwork basket.

Pictures will come when these two are finished. And then it looks like he'll try his hand at a U Build Model A. The U Build plans are more like blueprints and this little fellow will usable steering and lots of other little details. So they're more complex than the Toys and Joys ones.

I've put in my orders for sundry boxes so it'll be a while before new model cars appear again on the forum.

Happy New Year All

Cheers from the sunny Riverina
:U:U:U

Scott
1st January 2012, 04:07 PM
Well done, some quality work there. Can I be rude and ask how much you got for them?

LiliB
1st January 2012, 04:36 PM
Not nearly as much as they're worth. But then they're only ever worth what someone is willing to pay for them. :U:U:U

Anyone who thinks that you can recoup the true value of your work on Ebay - just forget it. Even overseas, there is intense competition, pricewise, from cheap (and nasty) work done in South-East Asia. If you think it may take a whole day to produce a set of wheels, then that sort of time will never be reflected in a final price, unless you're working for 20c an hour like they often do in SE Asia.

We look upon the sales as just a way of recouping some money towards buying materials for the future projects. David does the work for the love of it (thank goodness) and doesn't aspire to the high prices people get at Woodworking shows. This is a hobby for him - and he loves the challenges offered by the projects as well as the pleasure attained by succeeding.

We get hundreds rather than thousands for his work. As for me, rather than live in clutter, I'm glad when some things sell, and I get some of my space back.:;:;:;

crowie
1st January 2012, 10:45 PM
You'll be sad to see them go Lili,
They represent some very nice craftsmanship by David.
But then, the funds will help the coppers for the next projects.
Cheers, crowie

PS _ I hope David is enjoying his retirement and finding enough to keep busy....lol

bj383ss
2nd January 2012, 12:14 PM
Man I wouldn't let those out of my sight. It is a lucky mate who got those!

Bret

LiliB
2nd January 2012, 12:39 PM
Hi Crowie
Sometimes it seems like he hasn't left work at all. I sometimes only see him at mealtimes. And of course, now that workshop full of his boy's toys is getting plenty of work.:U:U:U He's really getting to enjoy his retirement, trying his hand at new things on the scroll saw.

He's had a crack at making chessmen, and they worked out well, and he's into boxes at the moment. I bought him a lovely book of fretwork boxes, highly time consuming, but incredibly beautiful and delicate. So the cars are on the back burner at the moment.

There's a plan coming for a 1920s fire engine that should be very cool, and I'm sure he'll want to make it as soon as he sees the plan. So watch this space !!!

:U:U:U
Cheers
Lili

LiliB
2nd January 2012, 02:08 PM
Hi Bret

I guess lots of people might have trouble letting go of their treasured art and craft work, but you get to a point where every corner of your house might be cluttered. And I'm reminded often, that what one is one person's treasure, is junk to others. Grandma's delicate crocheted doileys, dad's coin collection, mother's recipe collection.

There was a case in the last few years when the heirs to a home emptied out dad's stuff and threw away uncut sapphires that the old boy had probably spent years accumulating the hard way, in the sand, dust and flies of western Queensland. (I know, I've done it :)) When they found out later what they'd done, they unsuccessfully trawled a little country rubbish dump for the stones, naturally without success.

Our heirs might well send the model collection to the local charity shop where it might be sold for $20 each. So we're both pleased when David's creations go to a good home. As I said, David gets tremendous pleasure out of the creation process, so that's what it's all about for us.

But I've seen stunning work at woodworking exhibitions that is genius as well as art and craftsmanship. Those few pieces would be extremely hard to let go of. I'll never forget an incredibly delicate spider web made of wood with the spider in the centre - technically brilliant and totally unique. I'd probably fight to keep that kind of thing if it were David's work.

munruben
2nd January 2012, 04:10 PM
Well someone has bought a great collection of beautiful models. :2tsup:

Christos
2nd January 2012, 07:52 PM
I offen find that enjoyment comes from the making not the keeping.

I used to build those plastic models and the fun in the building so once built these seems to find new homes.

Yonnee
3rd January 2012, 12:13 AM
Firstly, Happy New Year to you both and congrat's on the sale.

And then it looks like he'll try his hand at a U Build Model A. The U Build plans are more like blueprints and this little fellow will usable steering and lots of other little details. So they're more complex than the Toys and Joys ones.

:U
I did a quick search for these "U Build" models and could only find this (http://www.skillspublish.com.au/UbuildModels.htm) Australian site selling Armor Crafts, Toys and Joys and Gatto plans, at fairly inflated prices. This is the link to the Gatto Model A (http://www.gattoplans.com/store/roadster_18.htm), which I'm prettty sure you'll find is the same. In fact, their own part number prefix tells you whos plans they are; AR###, GA### & TJ###.

colbra
3rd January 2012, 06:26 AM
Hi All
Here is the address for all the model plans u build has been bought out.
I have spoken to the people there. happy for us to go and have a look
Contact Us (http://www.ubuildit.com.au/Skills%20Contact%20Us.htm)

colbra:)

crowie
3rd January 2012, 08:01 AM
Hi All
Here is the address for all the model plans u build has been bought out.
I have spoken to the people there. happy for us to go and have a look
Contact Us (http://www.ubuildit.com.au/Skills%20Contact%20Us.htm)

I've been to the Skill Publication shop at Lawson to purchase the Toymakers Annual,
but they didn't do one last you and they haven't contacted me to say they are available [I did register on there mailing list].
I've seen the UBuild website reference on the Toymaking side of the forum and thought that they were expensive,
but WOW after seeing the reference which Yonnee put up they are three [3] times the price & that's awful.
I don't see how that they can justify that sort of markup as a reseller who'd surely get a discount on the buy price over the RRP???!!!!.
It'd be nice to think that we might have some sway on they pricing so woodworkers & toymakers could purchase locally [Australia].
Cheers, crowie

colbra
3rd January 2012, 10:25 AM
Hi Pete they certainly are expensive check out Toys & Joys prices against
Skill Publications 70 - Road Grader (http://toysandjoys.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/70.html) I am not sure what the postage is from the States
Skill Publishing is $30:doh:

LiliB
3rd January 2012, 10:44 AM
Hi everyone

I recently looked at the Skills Publishing site and was appalled at the pricing. This trend of charging highly inflated prices for things that sell for 'pennies' in the US is rampant in Australia.

Books are a prime example, however, the postage from the US is so ridiculous that we are stuck between a rock and a hard price. For example I purchased 3 books through Amazon for about $12 each, and had to pay $57 for postage. What a rip off. This brought th product to about the same as we pay here. So the only time I would consider that in future, is if the product is unavailable in Australia.

I collect perfumes and the rarer ones here are double what they are in the US. Small wonder I tend to use the internet for my purchasing. However, to counter this, lots of companies don't sell their rarer things on the net, so you're stuck with buying them from retail outlets which make a fortune reselling.

I can't see how anyone could justify charging $30-$38 for a plan, the U Builds not even having the actual pieces in full size. You have to scale them up yourself. Kind of takes the gloss off the whole process.

What may well be the case, in the defence of Skills Publishing, however, is that their deal to distribute may well involve some hefty payments to the owner of the copyright with each sale. This is again, typical of American commercial arrangements.

colbra
3rd January 2012, 12:06 PM
Hi LiliB
I have been buying my books from Fishpond.com Online Book Store | Buy Books Online in Australia - Fishpond.com.au (http://www.fishpond.com.au/Books)
its free post in Australia even though the books are coming from a UK supplier
And the prices seem too be compatible with other online bookstores I have just bought 2 books
1x Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Box Making
Estimated delivery date: 14th Jan - 26th Jan from UK supplier $22.81
1x Basic Box Making
Estimated delivery date: 14th Jan - 26th Jan from UK supplier $17.44
Sub-Total: $40.20
PS David does a great job of the models was he a toolmaker or paten maker in his working life if not I think he missed his mark.

AUSSIE
3rd January 2012, 01:28 PM
Firstly, Happy New Year to you both and congrat's on the sale.

Toys and Joys and Gatto plans, at fairly inflated prices. This is the link to the Gatto Model A (http://www.gattoplans.com/store/roadster_18.htm), which I'm prettty sure you'll find is the same. In fact, their own part number prefix tells you whos plans they are; AR###, GA### & TJ###.

Its the same plan.A few years ago I didnt know where to get plans at the right price,or even where to get them.I ordered the A model from Aust. company and when it arrived it was on Blue A4 sized paper,and from memory cost me $40 incl.post.I complained and sent it back for refund.

LiliB
3rd January 2012, 04:09 PM
Hi Colbra
What a great tip. I just managed to get three more good books, and someone's got a birthday coming up :U:U:U. It doesn't take much to make me happy.

As for David's background, he is a motor mechanic by trade, so lots of technical things come very easily to him. However, he is totally untrained in woodworking, except for the usual kiddie projects he made at school. He just seemed to take to woodworking naturally and has found one of life's true pleasures.

I'm delighted when I see how much pleasure the creative side of woodworking can bring. Life's never dull around here, since he's retired. He's currently working on a scrollsawn box with a fretwork metal inlay piece on the lid. Very pretty and unusual.

AUSSIE
3rd January 2012, 06:11 PM
Lilli,you still havent told us how much you got for the sale on ebay.Gives us all an idea on pricing

Scott
3rd January 2012, 06:48 PM
That's daylight robbery what Skills Publishing charges, I'm appalled. As a matter of interest Gatto charges U.S. $8 in an A4 size envelope for delivery.

colbra
3rd January 2012, 07:17 PM
As for David's background, he is a motor mechanic by trade, so lots of technical things come very easily to him. However, he is totally untrained in woodworking, except for the usual kiddie projects he made at school. He just seemed to take to woodworking naturally and has found one of life's true pleasures.

I'm delighted when I see how much pleasure the creative side of woodworking can bring. Life's never dull around here, since he's retired. He's currently working on a scrollsawn box with a fretwork metal inlay piece on the lid. Very pretty and unusual.

Hi LiliB & David
I struggle a bit at times but I get there in the end I enjoy the journey I admire people with the natural ability to make and create things, sometimes what would appear to be out of not much at all and with very little tooling.

If you don't mind I would like recall to you some memories of such a person

When I was a small boy about 6 or 7 years old my mate’s father would make him model boats.
We lived in Newcastle near the waterfront at Wickham and he would ride his push bike down to the wharfs and just sit there for hours watching the ships never done any drawing or took notes.
He would then go back to his little tin shed which had a small heavy work bench and a really old vice some very old tools a small window in the front, there were lots of tobacco tines with screws and nails and god knows what else some paint tins and then what seemed like forever, probably a couple of weeks, he would produce the finished ship, launch, tug, trawler, work boat, punt.
I learnt when I was much older that he had been a POW I could not begin to imagine what had happened in his life but I know that he would have been one of those Men that during his time of internment would have made things out of nothing.
I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have had in recalling it.
There are lots of reasons why I enjoy making things and this would be one of them.

colba

AUSSIE
3rd January 2012, 09:14 PM
Col
That is a touching story mate. I am sure it took a bit to write this for us. It brought a tear to my eyes. Their model making must have been the thing that kept them going, don't you think. I never had the chance to meet one of those guys, but would sure have liked too.

Ross

crowie
3rd January 2012, 10:04 PM
Hi LiliB & David
I struggle a bit at times but I get there in the end I enjoy the journey I admire people with the natural ability to make and create things, sometimes what would appear to be out of not much at all and with very little tooling.

If you don't mind I would like recall to you some memories of such a person

When I was a small boy about 6 or 7 years old my mate’s father would make him model boats.
We lived in Newcastle near the waterfront at Wickham and he would ride his push bike down to the wharfs and just sit there for hours watching the ships never done any drawing or took notes.
He would then go back to his little tin shed which had a small heavy work bench and a really old vice some very old tools a small window in the front, there were lots of tobacco tines with screws and nails and god knows what else some paint tins and then what seemed like forever, probably a couple of weeks, he would produce the finished ship, launch, tug, trawler, work boat, punt.
I learnt when I was much older that he had been a POW I could not begin to imagine what had happened in his life but I know that he would have been one of those Men that during his time of internment would have made things out of nothing.
I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I have had in recalling it.
There are lots of reasons why I enjoy making things and this would be one of them.

colba

This is a reminder for us/me to let/bring the little ones [both boys& girls] into the shed,
then show them what we are doing and how it's being done.
The hope is that they too might enjoy making things with timber.
Crowie

Scott
3rd January 2012, 10:11 PM
This is a reminder for us/me to let/bring the little ones [both boys& girls] into the shed,
then show them what we are doing and how it's being done.
The hope is that they too might enjoy making things with timber.
Crowie

I agree Crowie, wholeheartedly. My 5yo daughter constantly sits on the bench and watches me. She knows when to put on her eye and ear protection, offers advice and constantly asks what I'm doing. I bought her a little hammer and she has hammered numerous bits of scrap together and even has her own set of coloured pencils in the shed to colour in the timber. This makes my heart swell with pride that she wants to spend so much time in the shed with me. I just hope my 3yo daughter will follow suite.

LiliB
4th January 2012, 10:10 AM
Lovely story Colbra. I can certainly picture the whole thing beautifully. The silent man, with his demons still haunting him, finding beauty and fulfillment in his craft and his love of his child.

The creative process stirs something very deep inside us in a way that nothing else can. Every person has a creative urge which sadly isn't always allowed to flower. I feel there is no greater satisfaction to be had than to create something out of ordinary everyday materials. I feel that David is truly blessed in finding that he can create. With a wonderful hobby like woodworking, time becomes irrelevant, boredom doesn't exist, just challenges and projects, and self esteem builds to a level that each person should have.

It's particularly wonderful when it can be allowed to flower in children. So those of you who have your youngsters by your side in the shed are doing something wonderful for those kids, allowing their skills and imagination to develop and teaching them the joy of creating. This is one of the greatest gifts you can give them, something that will outlive material objects and probably you yourself.
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

LiliB
4th January 2012, 10:19 AM
Hi Aussie

As you can probably gather, I am not going to tell you what the models fetched. There is really no such thing as a standard price for craft and art work. It boils down to nature of the buyer, the situation in which you sell, and what you want from the sale.

Ebay doesn't actually lend itself to price setting. You put a starting price on and then see what happens. When you take a commission, once again, you agree a price with your buyer, based on why they want the model, and who they are.

You can have two versions of the same plan side by side, and they can be dramatically different. For example, the plans usually call for much thicker material than David uses. They look rather crude if you actually follow the plan to the letter. David adjusts the plan according to his vision of what he wants to create. Although his cars are lovely, I have seen work on this forum that runs rings around what he produces.

So you see, price is flexible.

colbra
4th January 2012, 03:50 PM
Hi All in reference to my last post I had no sad memories of those times even though I often think of him working away in his shed and achieving what he did.
I never knew about the fact he was a POW until it came up in conversation talking to some of Dads old mates which is maybe 30 to 40 yrs. ago.
I just admire anybody that can make things, and as I said in the last post out of almost nothing.
I have all the machinery to get my outcome and still find myself struggling a bit at times to get a reasonable out come.
That’s is were all you great people play your parts by showing and telling swapping and all the advice one could ever hope to find.

Also so in reference to Pete & Scott’s comments on having the kids around you in the work shop, words could not explain my pleasure on that score asking, what are you making…. what is this for….. Can I paint this…… and pop how come it takes you so long to make things... And on it goes great stuff.

In summing up I would like to apologise for any spelling mistake and bad grammar as my spell check went shopping
Colbra:)

LiliB
4th January 2012, 03:53 PM
Hi Colbra

We can all forgive spelling and grammar mistakes here. After all, language is being used more casually these days, and if I as an ex English teacher find your communication beautifully clear, I can't see anyone else having grounds for a gripe there. :U:U:U

Scott
4th January 2012, 04:01 PM
:D em yllaicepse ,ereh dnuora sdrawkcab elttil a lla er’ew ,arbloC yrrow t’noD

colbra
4th January 2012, 06:42 PM
:D em yllaicepse ,ereh dnuora sdrawkcab elttil a lla er’ew ,arbloC yrrow t’noD

Hi Scott you are a lucky man to be bilingual I wish I was… hope I got the spelling right and haven’t wished for anything that I would instantly regret. :oo: LOL :D:D
Col:)

Scott
4th January 2012, 06:49 PM
Yup Col, it's great being bilingual, I only speak Australian and English though. Oh, I can write backwards as well :D

crowie
4th January 2012, 08:11 PM
Yup Col, it's great being bilingual, I only speak Australian and English though. Oh, I can write backwards as well :D

I just speak Aussie & the occasional rubbish so you're one up on me......lol

AUSSIE
4th January 2012, 08:48 PM
My wife says I talk "Alotta Crapp" and sometimes "Aussie" and "spell bad".or
was that "smell bad"?

Scott
4th January 2012, 08:54 PM
was that "smell bad"?

After a hot day in the shed I usually smell bad, especially after eating cashews. I have I ever told anyone what happens to me when I eat cashews? But, to hijack this thread completely, the other language I speak is ETOH dribble.

crowie
4th January 2012, 09:19 PM
was that "smell bad"?

:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

wolflrv
4th January 2012, 10:52 PM
Ya know...if I hadn't been born a Texan, I'd really like to be an Aussie...you guys are tons o' fun!! LOL!

Scott
4th January 2012, 10:54 PM
Ya know...if I hadn't been born a Texan, I'd really like to be an Aussie...you guys are tons o' fun!! LOL!

OH well, you can now be a woodworkforums.com honorary Aussie. Just make sure that from now on you talk dribble and smell bad. :2tsup:

colbra
4th January 2012, 11:28 PM

Feel free to come down and join us you would be made right at home here Where’ve got a bit of oil down here but not as much as you Blokes lol

crowie
5th January 2012, 08:22 AM

Hey Wolf,
We have a texas here in Australia..
I had a chippie mate from navy days who came from Texas, Queensland.
Cheers, crowie

Texas QLD Inc. (http://www.texasqld4385.com.au/)

Texas, Queensland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas,_Queensland)

wolflrv
5th January 2012, 12:22 PM
You "blokes" make a Texan feel welcome...that's for sure!! and I can definitely be stinky with the best o' them!! LOL!

bj383ss
5th January 2012, 11:36 PM
I second that. Best forum and members in my opinion

Bret