PDA

View Full Version : Let's get down to basics!

Mark Woodward
15th August 1999, 01:05 AM
Hope this doesn't go on too much! (Please tell me if my questions are to long!)

I'm trying to set up a workshop in my garage, which has plenty of room. I'd love to be able to build descent furniture, not works of art, but functional pieces that people would look at and say "where'd ya buy that" not "what's that!". Coffee tables, bookcases, a basic TV unit, that sort of thing.
1. Do I really need a joiner/planer. By this I mean, how much can I rely on my local timber supplier ( a saw mill in Dubbo NSW) who sells dressed timber ( Tas. Oak, maranti, pine, WRC).I DO want the furniture to be straight! Would I be able to get away with it with a plane or two for narrower material if they're not overly reliable?
2. What would be considered a basic toolkit?
I have the usual chisels, hammers, saws, squares etc. As well as the triton2000 saw and router setups. We've just sold our souls to the bank, so money IS an option!(Another reason I'm keen to try to build!)
3. For most operations would a jigsaw do what a bandsaw can. I know it wont cut anywhere near as thickly as a bandsaw, but could I get away with it? Maybe by gluing two pieces together after cutting each with the jigsaw.
4. Some of the add-ons for the triton look pretty good! The biscuit joiner and Bevel ripping guide especially. Would they make life easier? ( Just a side question on biscuit joints - what's stronger, biscuit joints or tongue and grooves, or are they comparable? I'm set up to make T&G's on the router table so should I use that rather than fork out for the biscuit joiner?)
Any comments as to what I REALLY should be looking to buy would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark Woodward.

Rod Smith
19th August 1999, 01:25 AM
Hi Again.
Thicknesser, you can do without for a while, but once you've got one you'll wish you alway s did. A bandsaw is nice but not essential, I managed without one for year, especially the sort of furniture you mentioned. Tongue and grooves and biscuits don't add much mechanical strength mainly align the joint. Biscuits would be the stronger of the two, a thin little bit of wood breaks across the grain pretty easily(tongue). When I want this sort of joint I use a slot cutter and 4mm mdf. I doubt you would have much use for a bevel ripping jig. What ever you build theres usually a way of doing it with the tools you already have. But it just depends how often you need to do it to justify buying another tool. For me, not often. See ya. Rod

------------------

DonN
19th August 1999, 06:41 AM
Mark
You don't need a lot of power tools to start. I started of with only a drill the rest I did by hand (the drill was used to dowel joints) it may have take a lot longer but it was very satisfying. As I sold pieces I bought more power tools. Now I have a shed full and rarely use some of them. What I am saying is don't be in too bigger a hurry to spend you money on power tools that may only get used a few times.
DonN

Mark Woodward
19th August 1999, 07:27 PM
Thanks guys,
These are the sort of answers I needed. I don't really know what the essentials are! ( Maybe not "essentials" but tools that would make life a little easier). I've got money put aside to furnish the workshop and I want to spend it wisely! I think I'll chuck it in an account somewhere and only pick at it as I need to( after I buy a few router bits!). As I progress ( hopefully!) I'll learn what my needs are.
Thanks again
Mark
PS - I've read alot from this bulletin board in the last couple of nights. It's a great resource!

Jamin
31st August 1999, 06:48 PM
I am also just starting to set up a workshop and have looked around for ideas on what basic tools I need. The following web address (Stanley Tool) gave a basic needs list. It might provide some ideas and direction for you. http://www.popularmechanics.com/stanley/PLANS_SKILL.html

regards Jamin

Craig Spalding
1st September 1999, 02:03 PM
Mark, I also started making my own furniture in the last 18 months. I had all your problems of trying to make a decision (after all tools are not cheap). I have made several items now and I finally finished my King Size Lattice Bed with turned Knobs etc. I love it. I would strongly suggest that when you buy a tool, buy a good quality tool (Not cheap crap). I have learnt this lesson. I would really reccomend a Compound Mitre Saw, mine has made my life a lot easier and the cuts are very accurate.