PDA

View Full Version : A different way.

RETIRED
3rd January 2012, 10:01 PM
Not my way but may interest some. Ignore the turning.:rolleyes:

Wood Turning - Flapper Template - YouTube

benupton
3rd January 2012, 10:06 PM
Yea it is a different way of thinking. While watching this I was thinking would it be possible to bandsaw out the spindle pattern on one side then turn down to where you cut?

joe greiner
4th January 2012, 12:15 AM
Craftsman had a similar contraption accessory on some old lathes. IIRC, there were a bunch of bent-wire fingers mounted on a shaft parallel to the ways, movable along the shaft at critical points, and probably cut to lengths to suit the task at hand. When the reference diameters were reached, the fingers dropped down. Shape freehand between critical points.

This one is somewhat more sophisticated. I don't have sound (computers half shot), and maybe he mentions it, but I'd want stops to register the template reliably.

Cheers,
Joe

Paulphot
4th January 2012, 01:11 AM
Interesting enough that if I ever need to turn a set of table legs, I might give it a go.

wheelinround
4th January 2012, 07:44 AM
Is an idea but he has the jig set to high for accuracy of the pattern if copied should be on centre. As for the turning each to their own.

RETIRED
4th January 2012, 07:49 AM
Craftsman had a similar contraption accessory on some old lathes. IIRC, there were a bunch of bent-wire fingers mounted on a shaft parallel to the ways, movable along the shaft at critical points, and probably cut to lengths to suit the task at hand. When the reference diameters were reached, the fingers dropped down. Shape freehand between critical points.

This one is somewhat more sophisticated. I don't have sound (computers half shot), and maybe he mentions it, but I'd want stops to register the template reliably.

Cheers,
JoeRobert Sorby had a similar idea. It had adjustable fingers that fell through when the diameter was reached.

I have one of theirs and a home made set. Very handy for some jobs where there were multiple diameters on a job.

His idea registers at the back.

Grumpy John
4th January 2012, 08:43 AM
I just love his "roughing" cuts :fisch:. That and the music put me to sleep.

dr4g0nfly
4th January 2012, 08:49 AM
Did anyone catch what the 'flapper' material was as I don't think paper would stand up to that treatment very long, in fact I doubt many thin plastics would either.

And his turning - awful, not a single curly came off his tool, he scraped the whole thing!

Scott
4th January 2012, 03:13 PM
The elevator music put me to slee….

jimbur
4th January 2012, 04:24 PM
Did anyone catch what the 'flapper' material was as I don't think paper would stand up to that treatment very long, in fact I doubt many thin plastics would either.
Described as construction paper.
Cheers,
Jim

vk4
4th January 2012, 05:29 PM
neat idea , it looked like a gouge being used , but yes he appears to use it as a SCRAPER!!!!,