PDA

View Full Version : All but the kitchen sink

marineman
28th January 2005, 12:37 AM
To all the knowledgable people.

Just had a cabinet maker install a new replacement kitchen. I had the experience of a burst water pipe while I was away and the water seeped into the MDF that make up the kick bords for the kitchen benches.

This guy's done a good job (even used marine ply for the stucture of the kickboards). But the Poor B*****d made a mistake and installed the sink 130 mm in the wrong spot. Can't move the plumbling cause it verticle mount on the tiled splash back.

I felt sorry for him cause it's gonna cost upto $800-$1000 to replace the bench tops he has to ripout to install the new bench piece where the sink has gotta go.

What I've been trying to do is find a new sink that is bigger than the installed blanco 1 1/4 with one drainer.

I was thinking of a 1 1/4 sink but with drainers on both sides with which means he only has to cut a bigger hole.

I was wondering if anybody knows some where that might have something like I'm looking for? I've tried all the internet searches - "Stainless steel kitchen sink" etc. but have been unable to find anybody online who has what I'm looking for at a reasonable price.

The cabinet maker says he's looked in all of his catalouges but found nothing.

thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

arms
28th January 2005, 07:34 AM
try this

http://www.hngs.com.au/listing.cfm?business_id=40710
it is the address for the sink warehouse
you are very understanding for the cabbie
kind regards

Barry_White
28th January 2005, 10:32 AM
Marineman

I have 1½ bowl sink with a drainer on both sides which is 1550mm long made by Clark. The only problem is I don't know if they still make them as this one is 25 years old but an excellent sink.

Apparently Clark do not have a website so you may have to make enquiries through a plumbing supplier.

Barry_White
28th January 2005, 11:00 AM
Marineman

Clark do have a website and they do still make that sink.

Here is the link

http://www.clark.com.au/ClarkSearch.htm

Select:
Price Range: All
Application: Kitchen Sink Collection
Number of Bowls: 1½
Number of Tap Holes: All

Then Scroll down to
Flushline 1538mm 1.75CB LH or RH
2011 or 2012

Trav
28th January 2005, 11:18 AM
also try oliveri and tradelink. They make sinks and have them in about every different size. Youn can get a 1 1/4, 1 1/3, 1 1/2 or 2 I think. PLus you can get drainage boards on either or both sides.

Trav

vsquizz
28th January 2005, 12:37 PM
Reece plumbing or Plumbtec may help.

http://www.reece.com.au/sites/products/prod_nav.cgi?area=0&type=171&site=S

http://www.plumbtec.com.au/plumbtec_frames_side.htm

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=346 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=346 height=16>CAIRNS</TD></TR><TR><TD width=346 height=16>Metroll Building Products</TD></TR><TR><TD width=346 height=16>109 - 111 Kenny St, Cairns QLD 4870</TD></TR><TR><TD width=346 height=16>Ph: (07) 4035 4900 Fax: (07) 4035 4999</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

marineman
28th January 2005, 02:20 PM
Cheers guys

some of the sites i had already looked at. Looks like the clark unit was closest but because it is 22mm narrower than the installed Blanco there wouldn't be enough lip left to secure the Clark Unit.

Custom made was obviously too expensive. So the cabbie gotta revert to Plan A.

Can't say we didn't try.

Wildman
28th January 2005, 03:56 PM
Sinks cause more kitchen problems than anything else but the missus still wasnt understanding when I put a hole through the new sink bowl when I slipped with the holesaw when I couldnt be bothered pulling the sink out fully when I had to trim the cutout a little. I silver soldered it up and ground and polished it with the dremel but it was still rather obvious.

Measure once, buy twice I discovered. So did your cabinet maker...

Wouldnt it be cheaper to knock out the tiles and move the plumbing? 130mm would only be a handful of tiles and a bit of time. A solid stainless or glass splashback would be a bit tougher but tiles shouldnt be too much work.

Cheers
Ben

marineman
28th January 2005, 10:50 PM
Moving the plumbing,was an idea considered, but the Cabinet maker pooh hooed the idea. I don't think he wants to pay other trades , increasing his costs???? the tiles are glued over a Conc block wall that pipes come through so a bit of fiddling arround to mod the pipes i suppose.

also don't think the tiles are available anymore.

This might change as I have just been told by SWMBO that there is a tile or 2 cracked that wasn't there before the bench replacement. this should make things interesting when the cabbie gets here next week???

arms
29th January 2005, 09:18 AM
[I felt sorry for him cause it's gonna cost upto $800-$1000 to replace the bench

The benchs must be made of granite or your cabbie is having a go at you ,even if the sink peice is damaged it shouldnt cost the amount you have been told to replace it,laminate rolled edge tops estimate out about $150 per linear metre,it sounds like your job will also go pearshaped when the cabbie is told about the cracked tiles

marineman
29th January 2005, 09:56 AM
[ The benchs must be made of granite or your cabbie is having a go at you ,even if the sink peice is damaged it shouldnt cost the amount you have been told to replace it,laminate rolled edge tops estimate out about $150 per linear metre,it sounds like your job will also go pearshaped when the cabbie is told about the cracked tiles
Tom
Standard laminates in this house. The Bench top where the sink is approx 3.5m and it connects to a 90 deg piece that's about 2.5m. and it all has to come out so he can replace the section where the sink goes.

I'm told it will get damaged when removed cause it's already glued in the joint. So 6m of bench at $150 is $900. not even counting 2 chippies time for half a day, plus the plumber, plus lost time on the next job etc etc.

He may have been trying to spin me aline about the cost (but I don't think so). doesn't matter he's still got to fix it.

Hope he remembers I tried to look out for him, when I tell him about the tiles!!

I guess if there's a problem I'll just have to get the insurance company involved, they're the ones paying after all.

By the way Tom "Great"! website, I'll have to keep you in mind when I get to build / refurbish my next house.

cheers

arms
30th January 2005, 01:11 PM
By the way Tom "Great"! website, I'll have to keep you in mind when I get to build / refurbish my next house.

cheers[/QUOTE]
glad you had a look and liked the site,we do a lot of business over the net through our flat pack range

Barry_White
30th January 2005, 07:37 PM
Cheers guys

some of the sites i had already looked at. Looks like the clark unit was closest but because it is 22mm narrower than the installed Blanco there wouldn't be enough lip left to secure the Clark Unit.

Custom made was obviously too expensive. So the cabbie gotta revert to Plan A.

Can't say we didn't try.
If the Clark unit would at least cover the hole couldn't he glue and screw some timber to the edges of the hole to decrease the width so as to fix the fixing clips.

marineman
5th February 2005, 02:03 AM
:confused: Well Lads

Kitchen is finally done. cabbie fitted new bench tops, then cut sink in the right place. I thought beut' all finnished till I got to look close.

-new ceramic stove top moved/slides arround in bench
-back edge of bench packed with screws and od bits of laminex or nothing at all
-holes in grout arround new kick board to tile joint
-bench top not screwed down 100%
-existing wall to cupboard not sealed
-left exposed MDF when cupboard doors open

Tell me if you think this guy took his eye off the ball, I mean the bench!!!

Had to get him back again to finish all the above and some.

To tip it all off this morning I found about 30 screws, obviously off the back of his truck, sprinkled arround my drive way. Ready to puncture the new tyres i've just fitted to SHMBO's car.

I was fuming, :mad: but luckily kept it cool. He now needs a fax from me saying the job is complete and I am satisfied. mmmmmmm??? :rolleyes:

I'll have to send it to him when I'm back at work.

I'll be optimistic and explain it as a series of unfortunate circumstances, chaulking it up to experience.

Hope you all don't mind me having a bit of a rant but maybe somebody out there can something out of the story. I sure did.:cool:

arms
5th February 2005, 09:10 AM
[QUOTE=marineman]:confused: Well Lads

Kitchen is finally done. chaulking it up to experience.

Hi see i told you it would probably go pearshaped when the cabbie got back,the industry is riff with people who really dont give a toss for quality,it appears that you have found one,a word of advice though ,before giving him a fax go through the installation with a very critical eye as from the time the fax goes through the cabbie will deny any fault found,and you will have to go through the bsa to try to get it fixed,and he will no doubt produce the fax and claim no responsibility ,
"a lesson well learnt will always be well remembered"
regards

marineman
5th February 2005, 03:20 PM
Tom

The unfortunate thing about all this is that the insurance company chose the cabinate maker, there by adding a futher complication. I didn't get a say I had to take what was offered. you know the usual story. everybody around town is busy work for thier own builders, not enough time to fit in doing the small jobs around town.

but i'm not going to accept second best. I don't look for confrontation but i'm not gonna shy away from it either. I even tried to do the right thing by this guy trying to work out a cheaper option for his mistake.

I Know the misses would love it all to be over but if it's not right i intend to get it set right.

What really pisses me off is the lack of control having all these people involved creates. Considering the kitchen should've been rebuilt Oct last year it's an exercise in frustration mitigation.

I'm gonna take your advice and take a close look at everything and if I have to, make another list of things still to fix. hi ho hi hum

Sturdee
5th February 2005, 04:22 PM
I was fuming, :mad: but luckily kept it cool. He now needs a fax from me saying the job is complete and I am satisfied. mmmmmmm??? :rolleyes:

Marineman,

Unless you are completely satisfied that all the work is done correctly and that no faults will be found later DO NOT send a fax to say that the job is complete and that you are satisfied.

Once you do you can forget about getting fixed anything that may come to light later.

Instead take a leaf out of the insurance company books and send a fax to the contractor and Insurance Company outlining all the problems you had. Be specific, show dates and problems, dates you had to ring about it, days you had to wait, etc, and even about the screws found.

Advise them that in the circumstances you are not prepared to sign any release whatsoever, that you are waiting for future faults to come to light which you will want rectified, that any consequential damage from screws, etc, that you did not find will be on their account and invite the insurance company to inspect the work.

If the Insurance company pays the contractor so be it, but nobody can later wave your waifer about as to why they won't fix anything else.

Peter.

Who has never yet signed an Insurance Company waiver in order to retain my future rights.