View Full Version : aussie pen blanks

Agro
28th January 2005, 04:43 PM
is there a source of unusual aussie pen blanks
Regards
Agro

gatiep
28th January 2005, 08:47 PM
Yep there are some in the Carba-tec catalog, and Carbatec in Perth keeps a huge range of predrilled ones, Like Tasmanian Timbers, South American and African. I have just done some pens out of the Oz Black palm,coated with super glue, then sanded to 1800 wet and polished with Shellawax. Beautiful!!!

:)

Jim Carroll
28th January 2005, 10:17 PM
We also stock the pre drilled pen parts

http://au.store.yahoo.com/cws-store/penblanks.html

Ross
29th January 2005, 08:40 AM
I buy my timber in large pieces from Trend Timbers. The last pens I made I got 8 out of a piece of Black Palm that cost me $12.00.

I find it more satisfying to cut and drill them myself.

If you want a nice pen turn one out of a Banksia man.

Ross

gatiep
29th January 2005, 10:37 AM
Ross, Turning a Banksia man must be culpabale homoside! We have banksia wood in WA perhaps you should try that instead! Did some purple heart and cocobola pens last week, the blanks from Carbatec in Perth. Beautiful.

:)

Ross
30th January 2005, 10:57 PM
Joe

Purple heart is good, I haven't tried cocobola yet - what's it like?

The banksia turns to a fine pen if you find a piece where the seeds don't go through to the center. My success rate because of the seeds is only about 10%.

Ross

rsser
31st January 2005, 08:38 PM
For Aussie wood pen blanks, well dried burls of whatever takes your fancy, in small pieces to keep the cost down, are worth considering. Cut and drill them yourself. NSW red mallee burl is a favourite of mine for pens (but superglue any cracks that appear before finishing).

PoPnBuG
14th April 2005, 06:18 AM
www.penturners.org (http://www.penturners.org)!!

pete_d
14th April 2005, 05:22 PM
I've been looking for a graduation present for my girlfriend and I was curious as to where someone could actually buy handmade timber pens. Are there any stores around that sell pre-made ones? Does anyone here sell theirs?

rsser
14th April 2005, 06:01 PM
This ain't in the nationalist spirit, but yes, do a google and you'll find US pen turners flogging their stuff.

There are Aussie turners that do pens too. I expect you'll get some posts soon.

dai sensei
14th April 2005, 08:41 PM
Pete D

Try your local arts and crafts markets, there are usually a few woodturners selling their stuff, including pens.

Ross
15th April 2005, 02:46 PM
I've been looking for a graduation present for my girlfriend and I was curious as to where someone could actually buy handmade timber pens. Are there any stores around that sell pre-made ones? Does anyone here sell theirs?
Pete

Do the right thing..............make it yourself!

Ross

Sir Stinkalot
15th April 2005, 02:51 PM

Damn .... I should have kept my Ebay stall open.

If you have not luck locally send me a message through these boards ..... I will try and find a link on these boards with some photos of completed pens.

Stinky.

Sir Stinkalot
15th April 2005, 02:53 PM
Here we go ..... (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=1549)

bitingmidge
15th April 2005, 03:38 PM
Damn .... I should have kept my Ebay stall open.
Just curious Stink,

Why'd ja close it??

Cheers,

P

smidsy
15th April 2005, 03:54 PM
Hei Guys,
Another good place to check is the off cuts & junk bins of timber shops.
A while back I paid $2 for a wedge of Tassie Oak that I cut about 10 pen blanks out of.
Cheers
Paul

Sir Stinkalot
15th April 2005, 06:46 PM
Just curious Stink,

Why'd ja close it??

Cheers,

P

Just a lack of time really ..... I sold quite a few through Ebay and had no problems with payment or anything like that. Every now and then I will still put a few up ..... but for the price that you get it certainly isn't a get rich quick scheme. The Ebay fees can be a bit of a killer on small items as well.

Thinkin' about takin' over me turf?

Sir Stinkalot
15th April 2005, 06:48 PM
Hei Guys,
Another good place to check is the off cuts & junk bins of timber shops.
A while back I paid $2 for a wedge of Tassie Oak that I cut about 10 pen blanks out of.
Cheers
Paul

While I agree that checking out the off cut bins is a good place to get blanks .... isn't Tassie Oak a bit dull for a pen blank. Or is it the fact that over this side of the world we would prefer to use Jarrah as it is harder to get hold of and you would prefer Tassie Oak for the same reason?

bitingmidge
15th April 2005, 07:19 PM
Thinkin' about takin' over me turf?

No!! :eek:

I've a daughter who does a mean little number in hand-made greeting cards, and she's thinking of doing same....despite my scepticism about the market and value??

(I'm not discouraging her, quite the opposite.)
Cheers,

P :)

Ruffy
18th April 2005, 08:47 AM
There is a bloke in South Aus who often has hard to find blanks. I just bought some Coolibah Burl and some Tiger Myrtle off him.

See pic below

PM me and I will send you his email address

Dave in Malanda
22nd April 2005, 11:59 PM
Agro , if you haven't found what you're looking for , I have some ( well , heaps really ) of offcuts that would make nice pens . Off the top of my head , there is bumpy satin ash (sort of like mountain ash but with full fiddleback curl) , jarrah burl ( from the trunk and lignotuber off the root) , fiddleback maple , bubinga , hairy oak , black palm (the top bit) , ebony plus a bunch of more common stuff like blackbean, silver ash , silkwood , northern silky oak , rosegum , redgum , briar oak , scented rosewood and a pile of stuff I've probably forgotten about .

Although we have a fireplace (get's cold in the tropics @ 2,500' above sea level) , the more highly figured bits and pieces don't leave the shop .

Send me a PM if you're interested .

Cheers,
Dave

Wood Butcher
23rd April 2005, 12:08 AM
While we are on the subject. Where is the best ( and cheapest ) place to buy the pen mechanisms. I would love to start making pens for gifts etc. and will be looking for a good place to buy internals.

finewoods
10th June 2006, 01:07 AM
Try the Lazarides Timber Agencies website close to 100 species of timber.
There has to be something that takes your fancy.:rolleyes:

finewoods
10th June 2006, 01:07 AM
Try the Lazarides Timber Agencies website close to 100 species of timber.
There has to be something that takes your fancy.:rolleyes:

rodent
10th June 2006, 03:13 AM
the woodsmith croydon vic hase some interesting blanks

salty72
20th October 2007, 09:50 AM
we also have a ton of stuff and rather then cluter this thread with the same information check out the buy sell and swap forum, (link attached)
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=58803

weisyboy
20th October 2007, 11:14 AM
i have bee getting some interesting looking stuff in lately.

grass tree, palm, mahogany, curly spottygum, various oaks, golden wattle. are just a few of my newer ones.

rodent
22nd October 2007, 11:41 PM
tiger myrtle , carob , rasberry jam , gidge , mulga , bull oak , dead finish . to name a few .

salty72
23rd October 2007, 08:30 AM
Rodent,
Was this a question for me or stuff you have ??

RETIRED
23rd October 2007, 08:37 AM
You might like to check the date of the original post.

Frank&Earnest
25th October 2007, 10:26 PM
You might like to check the date of the original post.

Alas, the glitter of gold blinds everybody...:D