PDA

View Full Version : Wet & Dry

Tankstand
28th January 2005, 08:46 PM
Hi gang,
Does anyone know of a 150mm Velcro sanding disc suitable for wet sanding? I have seen a demo of Organoil's hard burnishing oil and would like to try it for myself. The demonstrator was using Triton discs on a 125mm ROS
and of course I own a 150mm ROS! and I have only seen the Triton discs in 125mm :(

Thanks in advance

soundman
29th January 2005, 10:48 PM
Your not realy looking for a wet product ( water) but a product that is resistant to the solvent in the polish.
The hook & loop part should have no problem the adhesive on the pad may have a long term problem & there may be some problems with the solvent/ oil & the binders in the paper but I doubt it.

I would be more concerned with the machine used, there are certain hazards concerning the solvents in the polish and anarking electrical motor.
It may be wise to consider an air powered sander.

Tankstand
29th January 2005, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the reply Soundman.

I would love an air powered sander but my little compressor doesn't have the CFM's

The Organoil people reccomend and demonstrate with an electric ROS.
The hype with the oil sounds great Organoil (http://www.organoil.com.au/woodcraft/index.html)

They contain NO petro-chemicals, formaldehydes or synthetic resins at all!

They don't mention solvents :confused:

I may have to use Festool automotive discs (Expensive)

Or maybe ask around the Auto paint shops! (Answered my own question :) )

ssgt
30th January 2005, 01:19 AM
Tankstand,
The demos of organ oil product I have seen they used the triton ros and made their own discs. As it was explained to me you take a totally blunt disc and using that as a template cut discs or wet and dry paper of varying grits finishing at 1200. These are then glued to the old blunt discs and you have a sanding disc of the appropriate grit with no holes to allow the oil to work up in between the hook and loop of the velcro.I am assuming they used disc cement for the adhesive.
Never done it myself but those that have swear by it and are able to acheive a smooth and highly polished finish. Good luck.

Tankstand
30th January 2005, 08:32 AM
Thanks mate, yet another option :)