PDA

View Full Version : Mini lathe extension.

Sturdee
7th January 2012, 03:27 PM
I have been using my mini lathe for a while, mainly turning pens and pendants, and I found that when turning pendants the tailstock gets in the way for some operations. So I have been removing and replacing the tailstock regularly.

An extra lengths to move it out of the way would be nice but the commercial extension for this model, whilst available and quite reasonable, is longer than the bench opening thus requiring more modifications to the bench.

This is easier said then done so when I saw a home made lathe extension on the net I decided to make one myself.

Made of old and well seasoned hardwood (still from my original load of seconds bought as one of the first bulk buys) and other bits and pieces from the workshop. The extension is 250mm which fits in well and makes it long enough to park the tailstock out of the way and slide it back when needed.

Photos 1- 3 show the front, end and back of the extension whilst photo 4 shows the tailstock resting on it.

I finished the sides etc by painting it black and the top is finished with a few coats of Trad. wax as per photo 5 and the last photo shows the completed unit ready for turning a pendant.

Enjoy.

Peter.

artme
7th January 2012, 04:10 PM
Now that looks like a top job!! Well done!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

How do you think humididty changes will effect the timber?

Sturdee
7th January 2012, 04:38 PM
Now that looks like a top job!! Well done!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

How do you think humididty changes will effect the timber?

I don't have that problem.:2tsup:

The hardwood is very seasoned. It already was back in 2005 when we bought it from the mill. Also the temperature and humidity in my workshop changes little between winter and summer as it is under the house and all outside walls are triple insulated, the other walls are double insulated.

The other day when the temp reached 39 for a few days the workshop only got to 25 degrees. :2tsup:

Peter.

Pat
7th January 2012, 05:09 PM
The other day when the temp reached 39 for a few days the workshop only got to 25 degrees. :2tsup:Peter.

Peter, the term "Man Cave" springs to mind.

Good work on the mini extension ways.

Avery
7th January 2012, 05:53 PM
What an excellent idea and very well executed too.

Consider the idea stolen. Thank you.

dai sensei
7th January 2012, 11:07 PM
Looks great :2tsup:

I had the same idea with my Woodfast, but ended up buying the extension, with the intention of cutting it in half. Then I got distracted, trying to think of ways to include a hinge to pivot the extension away, similar to the Vicmarc's. Still sitting in the box.

Cheers

cookie48
8th January 2012, 12:17 AM
Very smart thinking. Rekon I am like Avery and pinch your idea. Thanks for showing that.

Sturdee
8th January 2012, 11:45 AM
Very smart thinking. Rekon I am like Avery and pinch your idea. Thanks for showing that.

You're welcome to do so, as I also borrowed the idea.

Peter.

letzzzgo
8th January 2012, 12:35 PM
Good job! :wink:

orraloon
8th January 2012, 03:35 PM
That is a pretty neat fix to the problem. I had been thinking of mounting the tailstock on blocks but had not figured a good way to secure the banjo past the metal bed. Your way has got it all. As for wood movement I dont think it will make any difference for spindle work that long. Old lathes had wood rail beds for many hunderds of years.
:2tsup:
Regards
John

Sturdee
8th January 2012, 04:27 PM
Thanks guys for the comments.

As for wood movement I dont think it will make any difference for spindle work that long. Old lathes had wood rail beds for many hunderds of years.
:2tsup:
Regards
John

Wood movement might make it a bit harder to move the tailstock along and if that's the case a bit of hand sanding will fix it. It is mainly to get the tailstock out of the way when not needed but quickly replaced.

If I need to hold work that long between centres I'll use the MC900 clone that is on the other side of the turning corner. :2tsup:

Peter.

artme
8th January 2012, 05:48 PM
I don't have that problem.:2tsup:

The other day when the temp reached 39 for a few days the workshop only got to 25 degrees. :2tsup:

Peter.

Oh to be in the same boat - or cave!!:)