PDA

View Full Version : GMC routers

28th January 2005, 09:55 PM
I am contemplating buying a GMC 1200 plunge router.Any comments or thoughts?

snow
29th January 2005, 08:03 AM
Yeah, why not. I've got one that I use for hand held stuff. but I've also got a 3HP Makita in a router table for serious work. The GMC suites me fine for light work.

Snow

29th January 2005, 09:16 AM
Yeah, why not. I've got one that I use for hand held stuff. but I've also got a 3HP Makita in a router table for serious work. The GMC suites me fine for light work.
Snow Yea,thanks for that Snow,Can you remember how much you paid for it?.......................Regards,AL

snow
29th January 2005, 09:20 AM

The GMC was floor stock and was on the discount table. From memory I think it was about $50.

Snow

29th January 2005, 10:08 AM
Thanks again Snow,Can you also remember where you got it from?ie,Bunnings etc,also, did it come with router bits,and if so,what was the quality of them?

Kev Y.
29th January 2005, 10:22 AM
I picked mine up from Big W

snow
29th January 2005, 03:55 PM
Got my router from Bunnings. Didn't come with any bits. Regarding bits, I've got good ones but also a supply of cheapies I think you need a mix. Buy them as you need them because they can be damn expensive.

Snow

29th January 2005, 09:05 PM
Thanks fellas,Am going to town on Monday and hopefully can sus the problem out then,will keep you posted as to the results....................Regards,AL

himzol
29th January 2005, 10:08 PM
Am going to town on Monday

If the above means you are heading to Adelaide then check out the Banner store on the corner of Magil and Paynham road (end of North Terrace), they generally have a large range of GMC products, and you can pop into MIK International which is within walking distance form there. Also check Harris Scarfe out for any specials, I baught one of my router from them for only $40.

good luck with it,

Himzo.

E. maculata
30th January 2005, 11:18 AM
G'day all,
have a GMC 900 watt router, one of the first ones out I'd say, if you ignore the silly depth indicator, the swithes needing regular cleaning and the nfact it sucks shavings in through the top of the motor :( everything else is spot on, no runout or endplay, and I am very particular about tolerances in mechanicals, its the major difference between good and lesser brands in everything metal. I've owned it for 6 maybe 7 years bought it for only handheld use and it has far exce3eded my expectations.
Warning however I have returned 3 of their cordless drills within 10 mins of use (excessive tolerances developed quickly :confused: ) dislike their 7 1/4 saw (loud disturbing noises) yet had sterling service for 4 years of heavy use out of the "sandkat". Which leads me to the conclusion that with the "value" end of the market it's pure lucky dip stuff, having said this I personally would not tolerate any of the aforementioned shortcomings in a makita, hitachi or metabo et all, and have given up on a certain yellow brand as a lost cause for that reason...inconsistant quality.

Crikey that must be 4 cents woth today ;)

30th January 2005, 02:07 PM
Himzo/Bruce C,Appreciate the information you supplied,going to Pt Pirie on Monday to check a few things out,but am going to Adelaide next week playing bowls,so will try to make the time to go and see the situation there if i dont have joy tomorrow.Although this is not a router post,am interested in buying a decent wood vice.Fairlly large,as i try? to do some woodcarving(chairs).The main issue re size being the clamping of the legs to carve.At the moment i secure them in a flooring clamp and then secure that to an engineers vice.This has limited features as to other operations,(or lack of).Any suggestions as to manufacturers(Record)etc,also prices.Regards..........................AL

ps.and thats my 4 cents worth.

Dean
30th January 2005, 05:59 PM
This review may also help:
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/gmcr1200.htm

30th January 2005, 11:26 PM
Thanks Dean,had a look and was impressed by what i saw.On face value it looks the goods,but i suppose the proof is in the pudding.Regards................AL

Dean
30th January 2005, 11:40 PM
Yep, its not a bad router for the price... As long as you don't expect it to equal a $400 router in terms of power and features, you won't be disappointed. It sells for around $99 I think.

Harry72
31st January 2005, 12:20 AM
Himzo/Bruce C,Appreciate the information you supplied,going to Pt Pirie on Monday to check a few things out,but am going to Adelaide next week playing bowls,so will try to make the time to go and see the situation there if i dont have joy tomorrow.Although this is not a router post,am interested in buying a decent wood vice.Fairlly large,as i try? to do some woodcarving(chairs).The main issue re size being the clamping of the legs to carve.At the moment i secure them in a flooring clamp and then secure that to an engineers vice.This has limited features as to other operations,(or lack of).Any suggestions as to manufacturers(Record)etc,also prices.Regards..........................AL

ps.and thats my 4 cents worth. You wont even find a decent wood work vice here in Pirie, wait till you get too adelaide!
I think the R1200 gmc you'll find at prest's hardware about $120ish, Bowdens had some GMC stuff on special not long ago(not the R1200 tho).

Harry72
31st January 2005, 12:27 AM
If I had known a bit earlier that youre coming to town I would have invited you around, too have a bit of a burl on the said router!

31st January 2005, 08:06 PM
G,day Harry 72,Yea,went to Pirie,your right,full of depression,but did come home with a small,GMC router from Bowdens.Havent tried it as yet,but for $47's,i should have a few wins.The thing that took my eye was (and wallet)was an adjustable "T"square.$17's,and i was happy to part with the dosh.The only downside is that it is in imperial.Not to worry,we have the technology!Any how,catchya later,Regards............................AL

erlyrisa
3rd February 2005, 01:47 AM
Bought one -had too, Bunnings makes you compulsive.
Nice, light for it's size, nice softstart, doesn't mind being on its side while in use. But that damned saftey on/off switch setup I haven't decied if it's good or cumbersome,. Wouldn't use it for prolonged periods but handy for holding onto another bit.

Black_Friday
19th February 2005, 10:13 PM
if ur after a gmc get the 1550 watt it comes with about 50 router bits i think it goes for around 150 mark well thats how much i paid and the dust extraction pipe is fantastic i think

Landseka
4th March 2005, 10:35 PM
In Big W today I saw a GMC 1050w I think it was...$39. I couldn't resist.

A pleasant surprise was it has 5 bits with it plus a template follower, circle cutting jig thingy and a side fence.

Too good a bargain to miss I think.

Now I can leave the Triton v8 in the bench. ;)

Regards

Neil.

craigb
4th March 2005, 10:49 PM
Plunge router or fixed base?

Not that it matters, I'm just curious.

Landseka
5th March 2005, 11:46 AM
It has a 50mm plunge Craigb.

Regards

Neil

duckman
6th April 2005, 01:51 PM
I'm looking for a 1/4" router to fill the gap between my Makita laminate trimmer and my 1/2" Makita. A Big W catalogue just landed in my letter box and they once again have the GMC 1/4" 1020W Plunge Router on special for $39.83.

I'm wondering if those who have purchased one or more :eek: are happy with their purchase. Have you encoutered any major problems? Have any been returned?

I know what you're thinking, its only 40 bucks and you're right, but I could buy a router bit or a slab :D for that rather than wasting it on what might be a dud router.:p

Sale start Thursday April 7. :D

Optimark
6th April 2005, 08:02 PM
I picked up one of these recently for $39.95 at the local hardware and have been really pleased with it. I didn't purchase it to flog it to death but for handheld small stuff.

So far it's been trouble free and the 5 router bits that came with it are still sharp(ish).

There was one issue I had and that was the dust extraction system. It's clear plastic stuff and what is on the picture on the outside of the box is different to what I got.

Basically I cannot use the dust extractor if using wide bits as I then cannot plunge as the extractor has a flange that comes in close to the collet. In short if you are using straight bits for trimming or rebating it's fine, but once you put a wide curved bit the extraction system has to come off.

It has it's place and compared to the old Hitachi TR12 it's miniscule. The fact that it has variable speed, a soft plunge spring, easy to hold handles and things like that compared to the Hitachi, make it for $39.95 perfect.

Mick.

duckman
7th April 2005, 10:06 AM
It has it's place and compared to the old Hitachi TR12 it's miniscule. The fact that it has variable speed, a soft plunge spring, easy to hold handles and things like that compared to the Hitachi, make it for $39.95 perfect.

Mick.

Thanks for that, Mick. Like you, I intend to use it as a 'second string' router, mainly on-site where I have to rout vertically. My 1/2" Makita is too damn heavy to use safely and my laminate trimmer isn't the best tool for that job either when I'm using jigs and templates.

For $40.00 and a sensational guarantee, I think I'll take a chance.

Cheers,

Mark.