PDA

View Full Version : Lie-Nielsen 85 or 112?

Morbius
8th January 2012, 02:33 PM
I am looking at purchasing a scraper plane and my choices have pretty much come down to a Lie-Nielsen 85 or 112.

I am looking at a scraper that I can use to make cabinets and boxes as well as do the occasional coffee table.

Can anyone here offer me any advice in favour of one of these two models over the other?

Thanks,

Craig

markharrison
9th January 2012, 12:01 AM
To be honest, neither. I had a Stanley 112 and I did use it. The biggest problem is that any sufficiently large surface will have dips and hollows that these tools will miss because of the size of the planes' soles. I'm not trying to make engineering level surfaces, just smooth ones. I think I will just buy a cabinet scraper to replace it. Lee-Valley make a nice enhancement on the old Stanley 80, not that there's anything wrong with a Stanley 80 either. They work just fine.

Morbius
9th January 2012, 06:24 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the 80 has handles that stick out the side, which I am hoping to avoid, which is why it came down to the 85 or 112.

Craig

ian
9th January 2012, 06:46 AM
I've got both.
the #112 is good for large surfaces, but a bit fiddly to set up.
the #85 is easier to setup and use and the one I'd recommend for the use you describe

note, IMO neither plane is an alternative to a #80

Claw Hama
9th January 2012, 06:47 AM
I have the 112 for doing larger slabs and boards etc, for boxes and smaller projects I would get an 85.

Morbius
9th January 2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks all!

I am leaning towards the 85.

I have scrapers and the Veritas scraper holder, so can do most of what an 80 would do anyway, and while the 85's blade angle isn't adjustable, it is simpler to use and I like the adjustable handle feature.

I might hold off on the 112 until I am a bit more experienced with scraping - for now, I think the 85 is the way to go for me.

Again, thanks for the advice!

Craig

groeneaj
14th January 2012, 10:07 AM
Craig,
If you go on YouTube and type in " Lie Nielsen scraper plane " you'll find two videos on the LN scraper planes. It might be of some help to you.
Andy

markharrison
14th January 2012, 03:08 PM
You might also consider this: Veritas® Small Scraping Plane - Lee Valley Tools (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=62885&cat=1,41182)

sinjin
15th January 2012, 08:06 PM
I have the large Veritas which is very nice....But i just think the little Lie Neilson is superb for doing small work...i seem to use it quite a bit because it is so easy to use and get a great finish.