PDA

View Full Version : Stuff happens.

RETIRED
8th January 2012, 06:39 PM
It seems that Murphy is back in residence at the shed again.

In March last year we built Natasha (our lathes all have names) to do a job that would not fit on Big Henry (see, told ya) as we needed to spin 700mm diameter.

We used the VB72 headstock and fitted a 3 metre bed to it capable of turning 900mm over the bed and 2.1metres long. Big enough, you'd reckon.

Nope!! This is where Murphy comes in.

We have a job coming up in February that is going to be turning some Corinthian columns complete with flutes.

I thought after talking with the client on the phone that they could be done on Henry.

Client arrives and produces the drawings. Up to 600mm diameter and 2.7 meters long.:doh:
Only one thing to do, extend Natasha.

So , like Sturdee we fitted a bed extension. Ours is a bit bigger and heavier though.:wink:

The first question was, "Can Natasha be extended that far?". She is bolted to the floor in 8 places and allows just enough room to walk around it.

Yes! We have 900mm between her and Henry.

Next question, "Have I got enough scrap steel to build it?" Yep.

After a pm from a board member we picked up an old home made verandah post lathe that had a steel bed.

We have used the head and tail stock to build another lathe, but that is another story. Its name is Spencer in case you were wondering. :roflmao:

So with steel, cut off saw and welder we set about building it.

It is hard work moving and locating bits of heavy steel by oneself. Thank goodness for overhead gantries.

Any how here are the pics if you got this far.

Some of the "scrap" steel.

The operating theatre.

Primary set up. I am glad that I have a heap of clamps. At one stage there were 10 in use to hold it in line.

Fitting "fish plates" to anchor the new bed to Natasha.193942

Aligning the new bed to the existing.

Alignment bar fitted. Our beds on the big lathes are 75 mm apart so that a 75mm RHS bar with a couple of shims can be slipped in to check alignment when we need to. It also allows rests, steadies and head and tailstocks to be swapped around if we need to.

Extension is bolted to Henry and all bits tack welded in place.193945

Ready to lift out.

Lying on the bed of Natasha ready to be welded.193947

All welded together.

We then refitted it to check nothing had pulled during the welding. Man, I hate that. Fitted perfectly.

Now all I have to do is make an indexing head and a giant fluting attachment. Oh well, it is an interesting and different job.

Sorry, I can't say what the job is until I get the clients permission.

dr4g0nfly
8th January 2012, 06:51 PM
They always said - live an interesting life.

Wonder how long it will be before you need something bigger - again!

Sawdust Maker
8th January 2012, 07:32 PM
I'm not sure my shed's that long :doh:

powderpost
8th January 2012, 07:55 PM
I suppose you have given up hope for the pen turning career now? But then you could make large pens. :doh: Good to see you keeping busy. :2tsup:
Jim

Avery
8th January 2012, 07:57 PM
Can't wait for the fluting attachment...

wheelinround
8th January 2012, 08:49 PM
Just like welding chassis but smaller and no need for super accuracy.

Now there is an ideal lathe set up old truck with cab removed motor as headstock diff as tail stock or just use semitrailer for big stuff how about a Skell where the frame extends just by dragging it out and swing at least 8ft if need be.:U

Yes have to agree when heat and steel twist its a RRPIA:~

A Duke
8th January 2012, 09:29 PM
Good one.
Just remember O'Tool's No 1 rule:- Murphy is an optimist.

Regards

springwater
8th January 2012, 09:34 PM
Way out west, 's got a name
For rain and wind and fire
The rain is Tess, the fire's joe and
calls the lathe Natasha

O no, Natasha blows the stars around
And sends the clouds a-flying
Natasha makes the mountain sounds
Like folks were up there dying
Natasha, calls the lathe Natasha

Sturdee
8th January 2012, 09:57 PM
So , like Sturdee we fitted a bed extension. Ours is a bit bigger and heavier though.:wink:

Remember , it's not the size that counts but how well you use it. :U

Peter.

dai sensei
8th January 2012, 11:07 PM
Hope you don't have to use Henry in the meantime for any long stuff :rolleyes:

RETIRED
9th January 2012, 07:43 AM
They always said - live an interesting life.

Wonder how long it will be before you need something bigger - again! Nope. This is it.

I just have to learn to say "no, sorry I can't do that" but the challenge is sometimes interesting too.:)

I suppose you have given up hope for the pen turning career now? But then you could make large pens. :doh: Good to see you keeping busy. :2tsup:
JimThe thought has crossed my mind if only to compete with Con and the Prossy boys.:wink:

Just like welding chassis but smaller and no need for super accuracy.

Now there is an ideal lathe set up old truck with cab removed motor as headstock diff as tail stock or just use semitrailer for big stuff how about a Skell where the frame extends just by dragging it out and swing at least 8ft if need be.:U

Yes have to agree when heat and steel twist its a RRPIA:~I built a truck many years ago. The tool rests would be a problem I think.
Hmm, the Skell idea might be worth considering though.

Good one.
Just remember O'Tool's No 1 rule:- Murphy is an optimist.

RegardsMurphy lives here. O'Toole is a frequent visitor.:D

RETIRED
9th January 2012, 07:44 AM
Hope you don't have to use Henry in the meantime for any long stuff :rolleyes:Shh. Murphy is watching. :wink:

tea lady
9th January 2012, 08:02 AM
Way out west, 's got a name
For rain and wind and fire
The rain is Tess, the fire's joe and
calls the lathe Natasha

O no, Natasha blows the stars around
And sends the clouds a-flying
Natasha makes the mountain sounds
Like folks were up there dying
Natasha, calls the lathe Natasha:cool::D

And we need some more hammer tone so it all matches! :U

artme
9th January 2012, 08:20 AM
Now I know where to get some extra big stuphph turned!:q

Good job . Fairly simple actually, just that the size and weight makes it interesting.

sjm
9th January 2012, 08:34 AM
The cardboard box in the 4th pic has a rather apt name printed on it...
Looking forward to the indexing head and fluting attachment.

Drillit
9th January 2012, 09:31 AM
Hello ,
Suggested name...the sushi train. Cya, JOHN M.

cookie48
9th January 2012, 12:03 PM
Well I'll be. That is dedication to turning for sure. I do like the truck bit tho. Just think of a big Western Star parked in your back yard. Every time you need a bigger bed just go out and buy another trailer. You could end up with a five trailer rig in your yard all set for turning big big pens.Honestly tho great job and well done. You are a craftsman that deserve the credit you get.