PDA

View Full Version : Wine bottle stoppers

SDB777
8th January 2012, 11:02 PM
Wife has been casting a LOT of items for me to turn, photo, and add to the website...problem is, she keeps selling all the inventory in finished product(I know, not such a bad problem to have)

Some recently cast, turned items....while not pens....still turned(and a nice change from the pen world):

BlowTorch on a PSI chrome B/Stopper kit
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/SDB777/IAP%20blanks/IMG_0328.jpg

"No name" on a PSI chrome B/Stopper kit
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/SDB777/IAP%20blanks/IMG_0327.jpg

Both were turned, sanded wet all the way to the MM12k, and then polished with some MacGuires PlastixPolish. Simple is best....
Forgive the fuzzies that juped on the pieces during the photo shoot....forgot to get drier sheets at the store to wipe them down...

The second casting looked, blah....but once opened up and finished, it was pretty surprising! Both were pre-sold...think I'll have her make some more!

Scott B

cookie48
8th January 2012, 11:11 PM
They look very nice. Would make just about any red wine bottle look good.

Nai84
9th January 2012, 01:22 AM
Nicely done mate love the colours on those wine bottles stoppers well done Ian

dkennedy
9th January 2012, 05:36 PM
What's the odds of running across another woodturner from central Arkansas on an Australian woodturning forum?

Those are really nice and the design is unique. Your wife is doing a bang-up job on the casting.

old pete
9th January 2012, 06:26 PM
Hi SDB 777,

Can someone enlighten me please : What exactly is the purpose of a wine bottle stopper??

Old Pete

hughie
9th January 2012, 07:23 PM
Can someone enlighten me please : What exactly is the purpose of a wine bottle stopper??

stops the wine from falling out of the bottle when you cant finish it and the cork is stuffed. Proably not a major issue with synthetic corks, but then its a decor item as well.

SDB777
11th January 2012, 12:41 AM
What's the odds of running across another woodturner from central Arkansas on an Australian woodturning forum?

Those are really nice and the design is unique. Your wife is doing a bang-up job on the casting.

Seems those odds are pretty good:2tsup: Where are you at in this big ole State?

Hi SDB 777,

Old Pete

With my family and friends, not very useful(they usually drink from the bottle and put it down empty). But for those individuals that like the finer things....they love 'em!

Scott (wine is blah to me) B

dkennedy
11th January 2012, 01:45 AM
Seems those odds are pretty good:2tsup: Where are you at in this big ole State?

Down in Saline County... Benton/Bryant area.

oldiephred
11th January 2012, 02:36 AM
Hi SDB 777,

Old Pete

Other than keeping the wine fresh, there are other uses. For example (and this works) if you want a hole in the ceiling, open a bottle of chilled sparkling wine place it on the table with a wine stopper in it and when it warms, the stopper becomes a projectile that will make a nice hole in the ceiling.:2tsup: