PDA

View Full Version : some advice please

Geoff Dean
29th January 2005, 03:07 PM
Hi,

Finishing would be my least favourite part of any woodworking project. Most of what I build is from radiata pine and when finished I generally slap a couple of coats of stain on and its finished.

As my skill level increases this level of finish is no longer acceptable and as I am thinking of using better timber and possibly hardwood, I need to rethink finishing techniques.

I am thinking about using shellac, but having no knowledge of what it even is, let alone the best methods of application, some advice would be most appreciated.

I have done a quick search of the forums, but didnot find anything that helped me. (could be I was looking for the wrong thing of not in the right place)

It seems that purchasing Neils book would probably be a good starting place, any comments on the book would be most welcome

Regards, Geoff :) :) :)

Groggy
29th January 2005, 03:29 PM
Geoff, shellac is a product of the Lac beetle. You will get some good information by searching for Patrick Olguin or Paul Radovanic (Dec) in Google:

http://www.google.com.au/groups?hl=en&lr=&q=shellac+group%3Arec.woodworking+author%3Aradovanic+OR+author%3Aolguin&btnG=Search

Apply in a well ventilated workshop.

Shaty40
29th January 2005, 04:39 PM
Buy Niels book, it will answer most of your quetions, and make you ask more.If you follow Niels instructions a good result can be had, but the best reults come with practice.

Tim:) :)

simon c
29th January 2005, 04:49 PM
Geoff

I was at the same stage as you and bought Neil's book. I would recommend it but don't expect it to be the answer to everything and it does focus quite a lot on woodturning.

I think there is something missing in the finishing information. Neil's book will tell you everything you want to know about shellac but like most books you have to know you want shellac in the first place.

I think there is a need for a beginner's guide that says:
Q. I want to do this ...
A. Then you should do this or this

Finishing is like most things, there isn't one answer to each problem/activity so it's hard to know where to start.

Simon