PDA

View Full Version : Looking for second hand mini lathe

DonJ
9th January 2012, 09:48 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a second hand mini (small) lathe.
Can i find one for around $100-$200??

a. Should i be looking for a second hand mini lathe?
b. Or save money & buy a new mini lathe for around $300?

FYI - I'm a newbie & have a very small garage...

Thanks

Avery
9th January 2012, 10:24 PM
Welcome to the madness DONJ.

What will you be wanting to do with your mini lathe?

Give us some clues and the combined expertise in this place will set you right - probably, perhaps, well there's a reasonable chance, maybe..

In general, as with all tools, buy the very best that you can afford.

DonJ
9th January 2012, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply

I'm a newbie.... i have a very small garage..
i will not use it for anymore more than creating toys (for my little one), maybe the odd candle holders, or some lamp shades or the like (small stuff, around 1 foot in length)...

It only meant to be a hobby...

I'm reluctant on spending $300 dollars upfront for a mini lathe... when i'm just a newbie...

is there any hope for me?

Avery
9th January 2012, 11:29 PM
Hope?

In some ways your situation is full of hope! Your intentions are honourable and worthwhile

but

alas, once you buy a lathe and get into this pitifully painful slide that is woodturning you will never be the same again

You may well be able to buy a mini lathe for about $300. I would softly suggest that you expand your budget to the $450 range to get a better quality machine. Having said that, don't forget that you will need some tools. A set of 6 or 8 from Carba tec or Hare & Forbes or other places will cost about $110. If you want to buy name brand tools they will cost between $30 and $150 each. You will also need to be able to sharpen your new tools. A grinding wheel and perhaps a honing stone. At least another $200.

There is also ongoing costs of sandpaper , oils, waxes etc to finish your work

I am not trying to discourage you.

It is a great hobby , a wonderful thing that is an ongoing learning experience.

Just be aware that the up front cost of the little lathe is not the end.

hughie
10th January 2012, 04:49 PM
welcome aboard, perhaps you should aquaint yourself with the nearest turning club. This will give hands on training, face to face advise and more than likely a meeting with somebody in the club with a lathe to sell.