PDA

View Full Version : How to clean up a lathe

Gloriac
9th January 2012, 09:55 PM
This is probably not quite the right place for this question but since it concerns finishes here it is.
Can anyone help me with cleaning up finishes that have spilt onto my lathe please? Most likely it is Shellawax Glow and possibly some shellac as I don't think the EEE would be at fault. I got a bit carried away making pens for Christmas presents and didn't do my 'housework' as I went along. Now I have a few splotches and splatters that I have tried all sorts of ways to clean off but short of taking the paint off I am not winning. It is not too bad - just bits here and there but it is annoying me since I haven't had the lathe very long.
All suggestions most welcome :)
Thanks Gloria

RETIRED
9th January 2012, 10:27 PM
Try a cloth soaked in Metho.

Hold the soaked cloth over the stain to soften it.

You may have to do it a few times but it should remove it.

Gloriac
9th January 2012, 11:09 PM
Thanks for your reply and suggestion. I had tried metho but it seems I had not left it on long enough - I have just now cleaned up most of the splatters so thanks very much:2tsup:
Gloria

dr4g0nfly
10th January 2012, 06:52 AM
You say 'finish that's spilt', so I'm assuming it's your bedbars that need cleaning.

Have you tried a cabinet scraper to remove the worst and then the Meths for the final clean up?

Ozkaban
10th January 2012, 07:42 AM
I have a piece of wood (veneered chipboard, if memory serves) about 50cm x 30cm that I put over the lathe bed when polishing pens... I learnt this trick 'cos I did exactly what you've just done :D

Cheers,
Dave

robo hippy
10th January 2012, 09:07 AM
Wait, you are supposed to clean up your lathe????

Most of the time, I use a painters multi tool thing, almost like a chisel, but thin blade, and scrape any finish/super glue/wood glue/gunk that gets on the ways. Other than that, I don't mess with anything that can't be blown off with the air hose.

robo hippy

ticklingmedusa
10th January 2012, 02:59 PM
WD 40 & silicone sprays & a wipedown sometimes help loosen a stubborn blotch of the yucky,
but I must have attended the same school of housekeeping that Robo Hippy went to. :D If I can find it
I sometimes use a piece of thin foam or cardboard laid over the bed to avoid the nasty.
Don't forget good ventilation when using both finishes and solvents.

hughie
10th January 2012, 04:45 PM
Yep the pneumatic broom and a scraper is all I need as well :)

issatree
10th January 2012, 04:59 PM
Hi Gloriac,
Yes, well I just use one of my Wood Chisels, if it gets that bad, then most likely clean the Bed down with a bit of 320 Grit Paper, wipe with a cloth to get the dirt off , then apply very little " Silbein Gliet " ? ( Silver Glide ) to the bed, & everything work beautifully again.

Gloriac
10th January 2012, 10:35 PM
Thanks everyone!! I am not sure how people put excerpts/quotes from a lot of different people in their posts as I seem to be only able to get one.

dr4g0nfly - Maybe I should have said splashed rather than spilt? As it is mainly on the painted part of the bed not on the bed rails/bars. So the cleanup is cosmetic only :U not operational.

I am going to follow the suggestions of Ozkaban and ticklingmedusa and cover the bed when applying finishes - makes very good sense and saves on the clean up. Thanks also for the tip on ventilation TM.

Wait, you are supposed to clean up your lathe???? - LOL @ robo hippy

I like the sound of the Silver glide issatree - I will have to invest in some of that as the bed could do well with it.

Oh by the way - thanks for not telling me I should have stopped the lathe and applied the finish!! I did slow it right down! but from now on it will be stopped for each application, and the lathe bed covered .:D

Thanks again ~ Gloria

Paulphot
11th January 2012, 12:51 AM
My lathe is pretty clean but the wall behind it and the person in front of it generally cop a spray, especially if I'm not paying attention to how much glow is coming out of the bottle.

Sawdust Maker
11th January 2012, 08:18 AM
I do what Ozkaban etc do and place a piece of (in my case) vinyl (leather lookalike) over the bed

And the lathe does get cleaned occasionally - usually when I can't find something on the shelf under it :D

Paul39
11th January 2012, 12:02 PM
Once you have cleaned up all the stuff on the painted parts, you might want to rub on a fairly thick coat of paste wax. Even with care, a drip here and there accumulates. It will come off the wax easier.

A good cleaning and light coat of wax on the bed and sliding parts might keep things working easily.

I did find that after I did this, my tailstock did not grab as firmly and needed to take up the adjustment a bit.

Most professional turner's lathes I have seen are well encrusted with finish and sanding dust. If one is going to upgrade one day and hope to sell the old lathe at a decent price, a good looking lathe will bring more.

munruben
11th January 2012, 12:47 PM
Wow! I dont think I have ever cleaned mine.:no:

bowl-basher
11th January 2012, 01:27 PM
:rolleyes:Know the feeling well!!!!!!!!!!!!

rsser
11th January 2012, 01:40 PM
Nice challenge BB!

Another option for cleaning up spills is Acetone (or nail-polish remover). Good on sticky stuff. But test on a spot first.

As far as protecting the bed metal goes, beyond a physical barrier, having gone through a range of products, I'm sold on Ferro-pak G15 (http://www.australianinhibitor.com.au/news/31/ferro-pak-g15.html).

Also use it on the bandsaw table, the jointer/thicknesser, planes and chisels, and chucks and jaws. Beats the crap out of the competition.

Paul39
11th January 2012, 03:14 PM
This is what I had in mind as an example of covered up lathes.

The late Rude Osolnik's big bowl lathe.

http://rudeosolnik.com/sites/default/themes/rude_osolnik/images/studio_01.jpg

and:

http://rudeosolnik.com/sites/default/themes/rude_osolnik/images/studio_02.jpg

If you can see paint, that doesn't count as a dirty lathe.

Sawdust Maker
11th January 2012, 04:42 PM

As far as protecting the bed metal goes, beyond a physical barrier, having gone through a range of products, I'm sold on Ferro-pak G15 (http://www.australianinhibitor.com.au/news/31/ferro-pak-g15.html).

Also use it on the bandsaw table, the jointer/thicknesser, planes and chisels, and chucks and jaws. Beats the crap out of the competition.

Ern

Where do you get it? From them direct?

rsser
11th January 2012, 04:53 PM
Try Carbatec in Sydney; or the hand-tool guys like Jim Davey.

Sadly it can't be posted cos it's flammable in spray-can form. Has to be pick-up or ground courier.

Tedious but well worth it in my book. The spray-cans are generous and go a long way.

hughie
11th January 2012, 05:02 PM
So far my lathe has not had any rust in the new shed. Its a very dry, low humdity workshop. The down side is a few 'dry' blanks have opened up. :C

Paul, Rudes old set up looks like he was working in a old quarry. :U

cookie48
11th January 2012, 09:50 PM
I cover mine when doing wet work (ie; sanding acrylics) with a cut up picnic rug. The rubber back type. Only cost $5 from some little shop.