PDA

View Full Version : Sheoak Bowl

Turner Corner
29th January 2005, 09:49 PM
Hi Guys,
Thought I'd post a couple of pictures of the latest creation from my shed. A Lace Sheoak bowl - 23cm diameter, 7.5cm base, 7cm high. I took your recent advice about using hot glue to attach a block of wood to the base with great results. I was able to make the most of the piece of wood I was recently given by the EFOH (eternal flower of happiness) for Xmas. Hope you like it.

Big Mac
29th January 2005, 10:32 PM
:) :) Its a very nice bowl, i like the timber .Whats it like to turn
Neil

Turner Corner
30th January 2005, 08:34 AM
Very nice to cut, very easy with sharp tools - and great to watch the grain develop on the long straight sides. I finished it off to 1200 grit, then EEE, then Shellawax (what else?). Glad you like it.

Lucas
30th January 2005, 09:15 AM
beautiful bowl Mark come up great

LineLefty
31st January 2005, 11:55 AM
Very nice,

I've just been trying to prepare small roughsawn lacy-sheoak board by hand and I wouldn't say it's 'very easy' to work. The grain direction alternates every 1cm!

Babytoolman
31st January 2005, 12:21 PM
great bowl. Looks fantastic. What finish?

reeves
31st January 2005, 01:07 PM
seriously nice wood mate !

very good shape..

what kind of weight was the original blank...?

Turner Corner
31st January 2005, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, I'm pretty happy with it myself.

To answer the questions:
reeves - it weighed about 10kg I guess, 24cm x 24cm x 7.5cm(ish) block. I think the EFOH picked it up from Trend Timbers but can't be sure (she will neither confirm nor deny her sources)
Babytoolman - EEE, then Shellawax
Adam - I haven't ever worked with Lace Sheoak before but suspect the darker "red" bits of the blank were still a bit moist. I cut and finished the bowl in one day and it hasn't warped or cracked (yet).

rsser
31st January 2005, 08:07 PM
Very tasty TC; nice work.

Pity about WA sheoak is that it loses the orange colour on exposure to light, and heads for a rather more mundane brown.