PDA

View Full Version : Machinsts chest value

welder
10th January 2012, 11:38 PM
What would you pay for a machinists tool chest with 120 swiss files and measuring tools

Anorak Bob
11th January 2012, 12:41 AM
Come on Andre, you need to be a touch more more specific!

Measuring tools? Chinese and sub continental landfill or Euro exotica? You know the drill, we need to see photos or at least provide a detailed description.:D

BT

welder
11th January 2012, 12:28 PM
Here is the only photo I have and that description is all I have been given so far.

http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/kjc/120107/019r1/6860kia_20.jpeg

Auskart
11th January 2012, 12:33 PM
As little as possible, make an offer and go from there. :2tsup:

welder
11th January 2012, 12:42 PM
thanks i a not sure what a fair offer would be i was thinking $200

morrisman
11th January 2012, 03:45 PM
hi

I bought a similar box of stuff: 5 sets of thread gauges and various V blocks and dividers and heaps of other stuff in it..for $100. It also had a set of British made chassis hole punches . And parallels too. It was a bargain

MIKE

Bryan
11th January 2012, 05:12 PM
It's hardly fair of the seller to expect you to make an offer if you haven't seen the contents. You would expect to find some micrometers, indicators and other precision stuff, but without knowing, a low price is all he can expect. Try $150. If he wants more tell him you want to see. The box on its own is actually pretty cool and looks in good nick, so hopefully the contents are too. One thing to consider - the measuring gear may all be imperial. If you're happy with that, fine, but if not it's not much good to you. (Personally I've banned imperial measuring gear from my shed.)

HazzaB
11th January 2012, 05:15 PM
Hey Welder,

Have a look at whats there, and how much of it you would use, think about how much you would sell it for, and then offer them 2/3 of that, I would think that that was fair.
The price that you would Sell for is never what you would Buy for.

Good Luck.

HazzaB

welder
11th January 2012, 05:25 PM
Thanks everyone i am having a look tomorrow the measuring stuff is probably imperial and i don't buy imperial but i do want an imperial vernier. I also found out out the files are riffler and he is now asking $250 for it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1f/RifflerFiles.jpg/320px-RifflerFiles.jpg

Abratool
11th January 2012, 05:51 PM
It's hardly fair of the seller to expect you to make an offer if you haven't seen the contents. You would expect to find some micrometers, indicators and other precision stuff, but without knowing, a low price is all he can expect. Try $150. If he wants more tell him you want to see. The box on its own is actually pretty cool and looks in good nick, so hopefully the contents are too. One thing to consider - the measuring gear may all be imperial. If you're happy with that, fine, but if not it's not much good to you. (Personally I've banned imperial measuring gear from my shed.)
Bryan
I have made a few attempts to go metric, but it must be an age thing, I find I use longer measurements often in metric like 1500mm long is about 5ft.
However if I am working in small measurements like with a micrometer when machining or grinding to dimension I will always think & use imperial.
My lathe is imperial..... easy
My mill is metric..... not so easy. Always converting to imperial :rolleyes:
When other blokes are talking.... say 0.5mm I immediately think thats approx 0.020" or 20 thou.Which has immediate meaning to me.
To remove .004" is a figure I can picture, but 0.01mm does not register in the head.:(
So I tend to cross over, & cannot see that changing,probably because I have been with imperial so long.
Then there are metric threads & imperial threads so my taps & dies are duplicated.
Its all interesting !
regards
Bruce:)

Greg Q
11th January 2012, 05:53 PM
There are some wine coloured boxes in there: Either Starrett or Lufkin I'd reckon. The box looks like cedar, which tells me its a local version of chests sold in the US under the Gerstner and Union brands (and I'm sure others too).

Such chests alone go for about $250 + in the US. If the contents are of the same calibre as the chest I'd be expecting good things. On the other hand, the seller should be able to provide you with good photos of the contents of each drawer.

GQ

Steamwhisperer
11th January 2012, 05:58 PM
When other blokes are talking.... say 0.5mm I immediately think thats approx 0.020" or 20 thou.Which has immediate meaning to me.
To remove .004" is a figure I can picture, but 0.01mm does not register in the head.:(

Same here Bruce, exactly the same. If was taking a 10 thou cut I know what the swarf should look like yet I have no idea what any metric depth of cut should look like.
A bit set in the old ways.

Phil

Abratool
11th January 2012, 06:02 PM
Same here Bruce, exactly the same. If was taking a 10 thou cut I know what the swarf should look like yet I have no idea what any metric depth of cut should look like.

Phil
Phil
Glad to hear that someone else out there is set in the old ways.
It still works for me.
regards
Bruce

Terry B
11th January 2012, 06:05 PM

Phil
Curious the difference. When a measurement is stated on a drawing like "13/64" I have absolutely no idea how big that is and have to look it up in mm to be able to visualise it. Each to their own.

Greg Q
11th January 2012, 06:12 PM
I am fortunate enough to have both schemes, but I bought most of my metric stuff cheap from US sellers who can't get good prices for it. My inch stuff came from here for the same reason.

At work I use nautical miles for distance, kilometres or statute miles for visibility, feet or metres altitude, Inches of mercury, psi and hPa for pressure. Knots for wind speed and m/s also. Oh yeah, degrees F you know where.

In the shop I find in my limited experience that imperial seems better suited to the world of precision (Since the handy increments are smaller than the metric equivalents). Larger than 1.0" though and I instantly switch to metric. Or nautical.:wink:

welder
11th January 2012, 06:13 PM
I cannot visualize how big fractions of an inch are but i have no problem at all when machining or measuring small ammounts. but i did learn on an imperial lathe.

Greg Q
11th January 2012, 09:00 PM
1/2" is a router bit shaft. 3/8" is a medium size socket wrench or 10mm. 1/4 is 6mm or a small router bit shaft. 1/8" is a pop rivet. Nothing else matters. Decimal inches, as in metric, are the world of the machinist. Fractions of inches are crazy in increments smaller than 1/8" except when it comes to spanners where the 9/16" is popular. If you are not going to be wrenching on many old American gizmos that won't even be a blip in your life.

GQ

(taking a few minutes out tonight to work a little on my 1965 Dutch lathe. All fasteners Whitworth. Arrrgh!)

RayG
11th January 2012, 09:13 PM
Here is the only photo I have and that description is all I have been given so far.

http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/kjc/120107/019r1/6860kia_20.jpeg

Hi Welder,
That looks like quality gear, as GQ said, Gerstner Machinists Chests are good money in the US.

Almost impossible to value without knowing the contents.. but from the outside, I'd say there is a good chance you will find a few diamonds in there..

A new Gerstner Machinist's chest in red oak, (that's just the box) will set you back $300 or so..

Regards
Ray

Greg Q
11th January 2012, 09:31 PM
A friend gave me his Dad's old Gerstner back in 1982. Eventually I fixed it up and made new baize drawer inserts. Mrs GQ thinks it makes a fine jewellery box, so I had to go out and buy more metrology stuff than would fit. (Hence the dual metric/imperial for some stuff)

Speaking of imperial stuff...the postie delivered my $31.50 tap score today. I am gob smacked: almost every tap set (starter, medium and bottoming) from 0-80 to 3/4-10, Greenfield, in HSS, unused. There's over 200 taps in the three boxes, each wrapped in tissue paper and bubblewrap. Plus a Christmas card. I feel like a dirty thief. 80 characters of ebay feedback sometimes isn't enough to heap on sufficient praise and gratitude.

GQ

Abratool
11th January 2012, 09:58 PM
A friend gave me his Dad's old Gerstner back in 1982. Eventually I fixed it up and made new baize drawer inserts. Mrs GQ thinks it makes a fine jewellery box, so I had to go out and buy more metrology stuff than would fit. (Hence the dual metric/imperial for some stuff)

Speaking of imperial stuff...the postie delivered my $31.50 tap score today. I am gob smacked: almost every tap set (starter, medium and bottoming) from 0-80 to 3/4-10, Greenfield, in HSS, unused. There's over 200 taps in the three boxes, each wrapped in tissue paper and bubblewrap. Plus a Christmas card. I feel like a dirty thief. 80 characters of ebay feedback sometimes isn't enough to heap on sufficient praise and gratitude.

GQ
Greg
Lets know if you have any duplicate tap sets excess to requirements, I may be interested in purchasing.
regards
Bruce

welder
11th January 2012, 10:49 PM
well it should be fun looking at it and meeting the 80 year old toolmaker who owns it. whos know what other goodies may lay in his shed.

Anorak Bob
11th January 2012, 11:13 PM
[QUOTE=Greg Q;1428177

GQ[/QUOTE]
Why the .... did I tell you to look for Greenfield!:doh:

BT:no:

eskimo
12th January 2012, 08:54 AM
Fractions of inches are crazy in increments smaller than 1/8" except when it comes to spanners where the 9/16" is popular. If you are not going to be wrenching on many old American gizmos that won't even be a blip in your life.

(taking a few minutes out tonight to work a little on my 1965 Dutch lathe. All fasteners Whitworth. Arrrgh!)

My dad who was Tinsmith always worked in fractions......1/64. 3/64, 7/64th's etc

I do find it hard myself though...especially below poprivets

and what is wrong with whitworth...go to the hardware store get a 5/16 bolt, or was that 3/8 or was it both?....any way, they have whitworth heads....not AF or Metric

whitworth only becomes a problem if you dont have whitworth spanners:p

Abratool
12th January 2012, 09:06 AM
Why the .... did I tell you to look for Greenfield!:doh:

BT:no:
Bob
Please lets know if you see any other buys like this one.
Bruce

Anorak Bob
12th January 2012, 09:52 AM
Bob
Please lets know if you see any other buys like this one.
Bruce

Bruce,

Greenfield (or GTD ) was only a suggestion I made To Gregory when he said he was in the pursuit of some threading tools. GQ being the peerless pursuer of Ebay bargains struck gold, yet again.

I have a few Greenfield tap holders. The quality is second to none.

BT

Abratool
12th January 2012, 12:18 PM
Bob
I have a set of taps & dies in BA thread Greenfield brand from 0BA to 10 BA & they have been handy for Model Eng Steam eng as well as other small work.
Great quality Greenfield.
Always on the lookout for threading taps in various thread forms.
I would like to strike a goldmine like GQs on E Bay.
regards
Bruce

welder
12th January 2012, 04:21 PM
well i bought it the box was too cool i am now broke but i think it was worth it. the box is apparently made from rosewood.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Gb6ZKBjLyVU/Tw5rOK8_dqI/AAAAAAAAAYg/w_YeJjebV0A/s640/P1120638.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zJpyuBtRxoY/Tw5rTz_lsvI/AAAAAAAAAYo/S16WB2xIyOk/s640/P1120639.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-gfaG3Av7K9w/Tw5rXdy9i4I/AAAAAAAAAYw/ssBY5pCCs4M/s640/P1120640.JPG

welder
12th January 2012, 04:24 PM
more photos

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-swEGkh7urcc/Tw5sLwRIHSI/AAAAAAAAAZA/DZeCzwkW8qI/s640/P1120642.JPG
there is a sine bar in the cloth

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-2QwMEqNJY8s/Tw5sSdFBhnI/AAAAAAAAAZI/X0_NJQ6i0TE/s640/P1120643.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-LeW0WVknkrI/Tw5s_wWl_pI/AAAAAAAAAZQ/V_CRNLcx9Mw/s640/P1120644.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-QMwj36TgMAE/Tw5tDbpzYPI/AAAAAAAAAZY/9q170dDkNS4/s640/P1120645.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-dkcLD0-mu6U/Tw5tF3sH5bI/AAAAAAAAAZg/v6jKiHlOA1Q/s640/P1120646.JPG

morrisman
12th January 2012, 04:42 PM
That is quite a treasure trove .... a bargain I would say

What is the thing next to the V block .... a edge finder ?

Mike

Bryan
12th January 2012, 04:43 PM
You did good. :cool:

snowyskiesau
12th January 2012, 04:43 PM
I'd certainly say you got your moneys worth there. :2tsup:
Well done.

welder
12th January 2012, 04:57 PM
That is quite a treasure trove .... a bargain I would say

What is the thing next to the V block .... a edge finder ?

Mike

yeah it an edge finder

Abratool
12th January 2012, 06:44 PM
more photos

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-swEGkh7urcc/Tw5sLwRIHSI/AAAAAAAAAZA/DZeCzwkW8qI/s640/P1120642.JPG
there is a sine bar in the cloth

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-2QwMEqNJY8s/Tw5sSdFBhnI/AAAAAAAAAZI/X0_NJQ6i0TE/s640/P1120643.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-LeW0WVknkrI/Tw5s_wWl_pI/AAAAAAAAAZQ/V_CRNLcx9Mw/s640/P1120644.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-QMwj36TgMAE/Tw5tDbpzYPI/AAAAAAAAAZY/9q170dDkNS4/s640/P1120645.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-dkcLD0-mu6U/Tw5tF3sH5bI/AAAAAAAAAZg/v6jKiHlOA1Q/s640/P1120646.JPG
Welder
Are there any markings on the tools date or year?
The reason I ask is that a lot of the tools I have, & are very similiar & mine are of the 1958 to 1962 vintage.
Just interested.
regards
Bruce

RayG
12th January 2012, 07:09 PM
Hi Welder,

Congratulations, that's a great collection. I can see lot's of gems there, I'd say you got very lucky!

Try to find a better way to store the rifflers, if possible they should be stored so that they don't bump together.

I bet the guy was happy to see the tools go to someone who would use and appreciate them :2tsup:

Regards
Ray

QC Inspector
12th January 2012, 09:28 PM
I knew I shouldn't have looked at this thread!!!

Pete

Stustoys
12th January 2012, 09:56 PM
Hi Welder,
Looks like a great buy.

Whats hiding in the rag and the glasses case?

+1 for what Ray says about the files, goes for the taps and the milling cutters.(I have a bag of 50ish milling cutters that came through the mail from someone I thought would know better. They might not have been great when they went in the bag but they are a lot worse now)

Stuart

Greg Q
12th January 2012, 10:18 PM
Welder, if that chest is rosewood, allow me to be e first to offer you $250 for it.

Second: re those taps, and ebay bargains in general. Bargain hunters need to ensure that they are searching worldwide, use general terms for searches like "machinist taps" which is how I found my (badly described) mother lode.

US ebay is good, often UK ebay can be great owing to a surplus of good stuff on their market and a dying target audience. Lately even German ebay is coughing up the odd good fur ball.

Stuart...give me another six weeks then swing by with your endmills so that we can sharpen 'em up.

My tap score has no duplicates, sorry about that. Now to find the matching die set, with handles, in a Narwhal tusk box*

*an old boss of mine had a six foot Narwhal tusk in his office. He used it for intimidation, but it didn't work on me because I could see that it was left hand thread, and hence a non-starter.:wink:

GQ

RayG
12th January 2012, 10:48 PM
GQ

A christmas card yet!... I thought of several witty things to say, but getting a christmas card from the victim seller after being robbed... just derailed my train of thought..

My ebay searching tips are, use German, Italian, French... words for the things you are searching for.. .. make sure you double check everything and do your research... did you hear about the person who thought they were buying an icecream maker on Italian ebay, only to realise just in time it was an icecream truck...

Nice score GQ... :2tsup:

I must post a picture of my latest pickup, a Mitutoyo Planer Gage in mint condition for $50... Thanks, I should add to a tip-off from BT..

Regards
Ray

Greg Q
12th January 2012, 11:07 PM
Mike Garwood was over when I collected the package. We were like little kids on Christmas morning until I found the card. Suddenly my triumph tuened to ashes, having been guilted into submission. As if the hand-wrapped in white tissue paper caper wasn't enough to underscore just how much larceny was involved.

The seller has 1150 feedbaks with 100% glowing praise. I think I'll keep them a secret just for now:rolleyes:

If I find a similar deal I'll post a new thread.

GQ

RayG
12th January 2012, 11:12 PM
If I find a similar deal I'll post a new thread.

GQ

Ok, here's one...

Would you like fries forming taps to go with that deal...

Machinist Lot Taps Form Forming Taps Lot Over 110 Taps 4-48 to 1/2-20 | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Machinist-Lot-Taps-Form-Forming-Taps-Lot-Over-110-Taps-4-48-1-2-20-/330669993333?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfd77ad75)

less than $1 per tap, not too bad..

Regards
Ray

Anorak Bob
12th January 2012, 11:26 PM
Ok, here's one...

Would you like fries forming taps to go with that deal...

Machinist Lot Taps Form Forming Taps Lot Over 110 Taps 4-48 to 1/2-20 | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Machinist-Lot-Taps-Form-Forming-Taps-Lot-Over-110-Taps-4-48-1-2-20-/330669993333?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfd77ad75)

less than $1 per tap, not too bad..

Regards
Ray

A potential bargain if you have a use for thread forming (fluteless) taps. I won't bid.:roll:

BT

welder
13th January 2012, 12:18 AM
Welder
Are there any markings on the tools date or year?
The reason I ask is that a lot of the tools I have, & are very similiar & mine are of the 1958 to 1962 vintage.
Just interested.
regards
Bruce

Hi no year indication but he told me he got the chest when he was 18 in 1958 so the year seems about right.

welder
13th January 2012, 12:37 AM
Hi Welder,
Looks like a great buy.

Whats hiding in the rag and the glasses case?

+1 for what Ray says about the files, goes for the taps and the milling cutters.(I have a bag of 50ish milling cutters that came through the mail from someone I thought would know better. They might not have been great when they went in the bag but they are a lot worse now)

Stuart

The glasses case contains a 1inch micrometer which i will be selling and the rag holds a 5 inch sine bar.

xXvapourXx
13th January 2012, 12:50 AM
nice thats a great buy good job :2tsup:

Cooper

matthew_g
13th January 2012, 01:43 AM
All I can say is WELL DONE.!!!!!

Stustoys
13th January 2012, 11:27 AM
The glasses case contains a 1inch micrometer which i will be selling and the rag holds a 5 inch sine bar.

I wonder if it might be worth keeping the mic even if you only use it as a slip gauge? I doubt you'll get much for it(though I've been wrong before).

"...give me another six weeks then swing by with your endmills so that we can sharpen 'em up. "
One wonders what Greg has been buying? Don't worry I wont bring them all lol

Stuart

Greg Q
13th January 2012, 11:36 AM
Oh, about 4 months ago I bought a Darex E90 clone. It has an air spindle for sharpening endmill flutes up to 2" dia. But it uses 5c collets of which I have only the popular sizes. I need to consider buying one of CTC tool's 5C:ER32 collet chucks. I also have a genine Darex V290 drill sharpener that I acored on another Grand Theft Ebay caper

GQ

Abratool
13th January 2012, 11:43 AM
Hi no year indication but he told me he got the chest when he was 18 in 1958 so the year seems about right.

Thanks for the follow up information. A lot of my tools are of similiar design & vintage.
Here are photos of my Toolchest I made from Australian Coachwood (Scented Satinwood) grown on the north coast of NSW.With a french polished finish. I made it in 1958 I was 16 at that time.
During my apprenticeship as a Toolmaker at AWA Ashfield NSW, a lot of the tools in the chest & many others, not shown were made from 1958 to 1962.
There was a "credit squeeze".... slow down of the economy, at the time, & as apprentices we were told "just to keep busy" so I took the opportunity without a pause. :2tsup: All of the tools are hardened & ground & the really precise stuff is hand lapped.
They were good years, & great times. I have always been a "Tool Nut" & this forum has accentuated that pursuit, with vigor. Thanks to all out there !
I hope this may be of interest.
regards

Anorak Bob
13th January 2012, 11:47 AM
Oh, about 4 months ago I bought a Darex E90 clone. It has an air spindle for sharpening endmill flutes up to 2" dia. But it uses 5c collets of which I have only the popular sizes. I need to consider buying one of CTC tool's 5C:ER32 collet chucks. I also have a genine Darex V290 drill sharpener that I acored on another Grand Theft Ebay caper

GQ

A clone GQ :o I'm in shock.

Greg Q
13th January 2012, 11:53 AM
Me too. I thought it of sufficiently high quality and good price though that I jumped at it. Having said that, it was originally sold by the Darex dealer so I'm assuming that its a clone based on the lack of decals. I've had it apart and see no sign of any Chinois crapulescence anywhere, so maybe? It is that funky 70's harvest gold colour that the early Darex E90s were painted.

GQ

Stustoys
13th January 2012, 01:07 PM
Hi Greg,
Had a look at a few videos, sure looks easy lol
Certainly sounds like a better buy then my surface grinder.:wink:

Stuart

Bryan
13th January 2012, 01:14 PM
The seller has 1150 feedbaks with 100% glowing praise. I think I'll keep them a secret just for now:rolleyes:

I've decided my name for Greg is "Truffles" for his ability to sniff out treasure in the dirt.
(Perhaps this will endear me to him enough that he will one day sell me that big stupid chuck he keeps tripping over.
Or not. :rolleyes:)

Abratool
13th January 2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the follow up information. A lot of my tools are of similiar design & vintage.
Here are photos of my Toolchest I made from Australian Coachwood (Scented Satinwood) grown on the north coast of NSW.With a french polished finish. I made it in 1958 I was 16 at that time.
During my apprenticeship as a Toolmaker at AWA Ashfield NSW, a lot of the tools in the chest & many others, not shown were made from 1958 to 1962.
There was a "credit squeeze".... slow down of the economy, at the time, & as apprentices we were told "just to keep busy" so I took the opportunity without a pause. :2tsup: All of the tools are hardened & ground & the really precise stuff is hand lapped.
They were good years, & great times. I have always been a "Tool Nut" & this forum has accentuated that pursuit, with vigor. Thanks to all out there !
I hope this may be of interest.
regards
Here are the photos I did not include previously.

Anorak Bob
13th January 2012, 10:19 PM
Beautiful Bruce:2tsup: You make me feel idle.

BT

Abratool
13th January 2012, 10:35 PM
Beautiful Bruce:2tsup: You make me feel idle.

BT
Bob
I had a feeling you would be viewing the forum at this time. Hey you are not idle !
It might seem pretty dumb but I spent a lot of time this morning trying to attach photos without any success. I gave up in frustration. Sometimes this computor stuff baffles me.
Anyway after a glass or 2 of red at dinner,things seemed to clear in the head & all went into motion.
I do like tools, as I noticed you do.
Its a continual search, for quality. The German gear looks good,but I cant read German, so that makes it a bit difficult.The Deckel stuff is suberb.
I noticed that Greg Q mentioned a Hauser Jig Borer. I was fortunate to work one of these marvellous machines for about 6 mths a long time back. I would do anything to have one sitting in the workshop.
regards

Woodlee
13th January 2012, 10:37 PM
Very nice collection Bruce.I'm a sucker for fine tools .

I recall a Hauser jig borer at one toolroom where I worked ,It was housed in an air conditioned room of its own every job was put into the room and left until the room temp stabilised and work could proceed.

Kev.

bwal74
13th January 2012, 11:27 PM
Welder, nice buy. Bruce great tools. Its such a shame Australia is loosing its manufacturing skills. We can only dig holes for so long.
Ben.

Anorak Bob
13th January 2012, 11:31 PM
I'll dig out some Hauser catalogue photos tomorrow, They aren't flash quality wise but should serve well enough to pull on the heart strings.:U

welder
13th January 2012, 11:57 PM
nice tool box Bruce :U
I have the same conversion wheel i see in the top.

Stustoys
14th January 2012, 12:24 AM
Hi Bruce,
A very nice collection you have there.
Whats the square thing with curved sides in the top right near the Vee block clamp.

Stuart

Michael G
14th January 2012, 07:08 AM
I'd keep the inch micrometer for now. While you may be working in metric, sooner or later someone is going to bring something 'really old' in and need it measured. While metric gear and conversion charts will work, working (or at least measuring) in native dimensions is much easier - designers tend to round off in a lot of cases. Reading 22.15mm won't tell you much but reading 0.872" will tell you that you are 3 thou down from 7/8"

Michael

Abratool
14th January 2012, 08:51 AM
Hi Bruce,
A very nice collection you have there.
Whats the square thing with curved sides in the top right near the Vee block clamp.

Stuart
Its a cylinder square.
I saw one like it & decided to make it Its basically to cut down weight.
Its made from a piece of SD51 case hardening steel.
The concave curved cut outs were machined on a Mao Mill from memory.
The whole piece then heat treated, concave ground using a surface grinding wheel of the correct diameter, a bit of an overkill.
The outside dia precision ground parallel & the ends ground at the same time using side of wheel dressed accordingly, to ensure accuracy.
Finally some small grooves were ground on the ends to reduce the surface area when in use on a surface plate.
The whole thing was a bit extreme, compared to the other 2 cylindrical squares you may notice in the tool chest, made in the traditional way.
Thanks for your interest.
I read about your stuff all the time :2tsup:
regards
Bruce
ps Please remember all of this was made about 52 yrs ago, so its a bit of a test on the old brain to recall.

welder
14th January 2012, 11:15 AM
I wonder if it might be worth keeping the mic even if you only use it as a slip gauge? I doubt you'll get much for it(though I've been wrong before).

Stuart

i only want to sell it as i have 3 identical to it.

Stustoys
14th January 2012, 09:31 PM
Hi Bruce,
Thats a great idea, Might steal that if I ever get around to making a good one.

Thanks

Hi Welder,

lol I guess 3 is more than enough for most people :)

Stuart

Dave J
14th January 2012, 11:24 PM
Great score Andre :2tsup:
Your getting well set up now.

Dave

welder
15th January 2012, 01:40 PM
Thanks every one i am worried that i am getting in the habit of buying tools as i now have a sine bar i want a set of gauge blocks and more micrometers.Then I a need a surface plate all expensive stuff that takes ages to save up earning $10 an hour.

wheelinround
15th January 2012, 01:48 PM
$10 an hr whats that 1st yr pay :o

You scored well with the tool chest a lovely kit :2tsup: wishes he who has no room left :;

Well not everything as you've found has to be brand new just looked after as is in that chest.

welder
7th February 2013, 10:13 PM
It's not quite finished but here is my school woodwork project

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-quNjCfZKjH0/URODAfg656I/AAAAAAAAAvw/xJ2dEc3zh5o/s640/IMG_2266.JPG

Dave J
8th February 2013, 01:03 AM
Looks great, can I put in an order?

Dave