PDA

View Full Version : Bottle opener/pizza wheel handles

MitchB
11th January 2012, 09:20 AM
Hey fellas,
I ordered a bottle opener and pizza wheel kit from WoodNWorkshop the other week and just wanted to make sure on the proper method of inserting them into a handle.
Because they are a flat tang, is the proper method to drill a series of small holes?
Or is it to drill a big hole and fill with epoxy?

Any help appreciated,
Cheers, Mitch :)

APD
11th January 2012, 12:03 PM
Hi Mitch

I drill a hole to suit the main part of the tang and then I use a cutdown hacksaw blade to cut a couple of slots to allow the wings of the tang to slide into.Put some epoxy into the drilled hole prior to tang insertion and away you go.

Have fun

dr4g0nfly
12th January 2012, 06:16 AM
Exactly, You can't argue with that for an answer.

brendan stemp
13th January 2012, 07:13 AM
I use 5 min epoxy for this type of job. I load the glue into two separate syringes and squeeze small amounts of each into the hole and keep repeating until there is sufficient glue. I then insert the tang and twist it around to mix the glue. I find this an efficient and neat method.

Jim Carroll
13th January 2012, 12:21 PM
The best way is as APD described .

By only drilling a hole large enough for the bolster then cutting a slot top and bottom of the hole with a ground down hacksaw blade in the shape of a key hole saw.

By having the blade located in the slots eliminates the blade from twisting in use.

Also use a very small amount of araldite just to fill the voids to eliminate any water getting into the timber.

MitchB
16th January 2012, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the tips fellas, hope to get to them soon :2tsup: