PDA

View Full Version : jointer

Craig Spalding
8th September 1999, 07:42 PM
I would like to thank ubeaut for putting me onto Carba-Tec. Got their Catalogue today and My wife and I are Tickled Pink (She loves the craft stuff). I have had the High-Lighter out and marking everything I would love to get. This catalogue is like a dream come true, am I the only one out there that loves to go thru a good Australian Catalogue of Tools ? I could sit and read this type of thing over and over, I can feel the old Credit Card having a fit right now. But the only question I have is Could somebody please tell me what a "JOINTER" is ?I have no idea !
Love to here from you !!!

[This message has been edited by Craig Spalding (edited 08 September 1999).]

Tony Young
8th September 1999, 11:04 PM
A jointer is an american term for a planer (also known as a dubber). Used for straightening 2 edges of a plank. You can then put it through a thicknesser to get the other 2 edges straight and parallel

ubeaut
9th September 1999, 02:16 AM
G'Day Craig

Pleased to see you found heaven in a cattledog from Carba Tec. Not bad is is? You should see some of the ones from the US, they almost make that one look pretty ordinary.

A jointer is also known in Australia as a BUZZER It is basically a big electric plane on its back. The wider the buzzer the better work it will do. A good wide buzzer can (and should) also machine the twist out of bowed timber prior to thicknessing.

Cheers
Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif