PDA

View Full Version : Starting a challenge

Beekeeper41
12th January 2012, 05:21 AM
This year I was elected to organize monthly programing including demos and learn & turn for our club. I would like to organize some type of turning challenge, but do not know anything about this activity. We have 3 types of turners in the club; beginners, 1-10 year hobbists and senior pros and semi pros. Can I include these 3 groups or separate the challenges? Any suggestions for topics, rules, how to make it a fun learning project?

dr4g0nfly
14th January 2012, 05:56 AM
I did the same for our club for the current year. I found it best to not be to proscriptive, it allows creative juices to flow and makes for better entries.

We only have the two classes and Nov & Dec we don't run the competition, I also reversed the monthly challenge so everyone got a chance if they had a good idea. 'In the Style of' means - make something you've seen a demonstrator or other professional turn.

Below I've appended what I set, if it's any help of guide. (Sorry it's an ugly layout - I can't get tabs or additional space to work in the forums.)

June - Wall Plaque - A Fruit
July - Off Centre Turning - ‘In the Style Of’
Aug - Thread Chasing - Natural Edge Bowl
Sept - Box/Lidded Vessel - Item of Jewellery
Oct - Christmas Decoration - Christmas Decoration
Nov - ‘Hands On’ & Woodturner of the Year Competition
Dec - Christmas Social & Annual Awards
Jan - Item of Jewellery - Drinking Vessel
Feb - Off Centre - Box/Lidded Vessel
Mar - Easter Egg - Easter Egg
Apr - A Fruit - Wall Plaque
May - ‘In the Style Of’ - Natural Edge Bowl

finlay25
20th January 2012, 08:23 AM
This year I was elected to organize monthly programing including demos and learn & turn for our club. I would like to organize some type of turning challenge, but do not know anything about this activity. We have 3 types of turners in the club; beginners, 1-10 year hobbists and senior pros and semi pros. Can I include these 3 groups or separate the challenges? Any suggestions for topics, rules, how to make it a fun learning project?

Hi Are club meet once a month and they set turning challenges for everyone to take
part, it gives the hobbists and the senior pros the chance to see each others work
and give everyone a chance to enter a piece. It can be as easy or hard as you want
to make it, We also have a demonstrator or professional tuirner. I hope this will help
you.