PDA

View Full Version : DIY Paddle Plans

venice
12th January 2012, 08:03 AM
Hello.

First post. Experienced woodworker but novice boatbuilder and kayaker here... :roll:

I just started to build a wooden strip (sea)kayak. And of course i'll need a paddle to get it on the water when finished. Trouble is, i am new to kayaking. Therefore i don't have the slightest clue what paddle fits me best.

Asking around does'nt help that much in this case; ask 10 guys what the best paddle is and you are ending up with 11 different opinions... :D

Instead of spending quite some money on the latest model just to find out it does'nt suits me, i thought about building me a couple of different shapes out of wood, glass or carbon to find out.

While i found some tutorials on how to build a greenland paddle, i could'nt source any plans for more modern paddle shapes.

Does anyone of you know a good source for plans or is willing to share plans or to help out in any other way?

Thanks. Venice

labr@
12th January 2012, 01:30 PM
Hi Venice,

Have a look at Mik's paddle plans here:

Free Plans for Download - Michael Storer Boat Design (http://www.storerboatplans.com/Paddles/FreePaddle.html)

I have made some hollow shaft paddles of my own design and can give you information on those although not plans as such. Let me know if you are interested.

b.o.a.t.
12th January 2012, 11:42 PM
Here's a good treatise on the things to be thinking about.
How To Buy A Paddle (http://www.greenval.com/buy_paddle.html)

Also makes a difference whether you like to paddle high like white water
paddlers & racers - or low for long distance cruising. Paddling high needs a
longer shaft & bigger blades. Paddling low, shorter & smaller.
I built a modified version of MIK's paddle as linked by Labr@. I paddle slowly,
and scull a fair bit, so wanted a wider blade with a smoother foil-like cross-section.
Plenty of room in MIK's design to fit in what I wanted.

If you don't already have a clear feel for your preference, just build one of
MIK's to plan, then think about it once you've used it for a while.

There - I think I've managed to match your existing 11 opinions... :U

cheers
AJ

venice
13th January 2012, 07:58 AM
Bob, AJ,

Thanks. That gives me something to start with. I've been on Mic's page before but for some reason i missed the paddle plans.

Thanks again. Venice