PDA

View Full Version : a pair of multicentre crotch bowls

turnerted
16th January 2012, 03:41 PM
G'day
This is a further development of the sallywattle bowls I last posted . This time the timber is liquidamba . The bowls are about 210 at the widest point and the finish is DO
Ted

sjm
16th January 2012, 03:45 PM
Nice. I think these would be great with a hinge between them, so you place a round log on the table, then open it up to reveal the bowls inside.

artme
16th January 2012, 04:10 PM
Nice work Ted!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

A clos shave on that bottom edge.

wheelinround
16th January 2012, 04:40 PM
Nicely done Ted bet some scary moments

cookie48
16th January 2012, 08:19 PM
Interesting pieces. They look nice. Well done

mkypenturner
16th January 2012, 08:39 PM
Hey ted nice work ! Can you post a pic as to how you had them mounted please ??

mick61
16th January 2012, 10:52 PM
Nice work ,thinking outside the square.:2tsup:
Mick:D

dr4g0nfly
17th January 2012, 05:47 AM
Looks like a couple of nice 'nibble' servers at your next gathering.

Someone else has asked for details of how you mounted them, I'm guessing a faceplate and then on a set of Cole or purpose made jaws to reverse them and finish the base.

turnerted
17th January 2012, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the comments .
This is how they were made . First I carefully cut the crotch in half on the bandsaw . I had to use some blocks and wedges to hold it stable . Next I eyeballed the centre and hot melt glued a tennon on . This enabled me to turn the bottom side .I then hot melt glued a scrap block on the foot and turned a tennon to fit the offset chuck (see picture).
I then turned it over and mounted it in a conventional chuck, removed the tennon and trued up the top face and did a preliminary sanding of the top face .
I then mounted it in the offset chuck, drew with a compass where I wanted the first bowl to be and rotated the bowl and moved it out untill the cone in my live centre lined up with the compass point mark then hollowed it out . The offset is about 50mm.
The other two bowls were done the same way. As it turned out, the three bowls were slightly different sizes and were each a slightly different offset .I just adjusted them for best fit.
To clean up the foot I mounted the bowl on a disk by drilling a few holes near the edges of the bowl and used small plywood tabs with nuts and bolts to hold it in position.
Then I just had to make the other half the same .

To mount the offset chuck it is necessary to remove two of the jaws of a 120 chuck.The long length of wood sticking out the side of the jaws is to act as bit of a counterweight but I had no problems with imbalance anyway.
Note that this a potentially dangerous proceedure so if you try it keep out of the line of fire.
Ted

wheelinround
18th January 2012, 07:21 AM
Ted thats called the KISS method well done

vtbao
18th January 2012, 02:07 PM
I've tried your method but too complicated.