PDA

View Full Version : 5/32 BSW dilemma

morrisman
16th January 2012, 09:50 PM
Hi

Can somebody tell me : What is the correct diameter , to run a 5/32 BSW threading die over ?

I cannot find the appropriate chart anywhere .. even searching on the net

thanks MIKE

fxst
16th January 2012, 10:43 PM
5/32 I guess or is that too easy? or you need the metric size? :)
I do it that way when I do BA or imperial threads and it works for me.
Pete

Bryan
16th January 2012, 10:48 PM
Yep, I would have said nominal size minus a few thou clearance, but what do I know?

.RC.
16th January 2012, 11:16 PM
I would say 3.97mm

morrisman
17th January 2012, 12:27 AM
Yes, I also read it as being 3.97mm

Turns out the BSW tap and die set ( Japanese brand ) I bought, has rather sloppy tolerances . The die threads are too small in diameter and they will not start a cut when the nominal diameter is turned . .. too tight .

In the case of the 5/32 die , I had to go down to 3.6 mm in order for the die to get a start , and even then I have to apply much pressure to make it bite . Crap quality control at the factory ... makes you wonder how people can sell crap dies like that.

MIKE

Greg Q
17th January 2012, 01:53 AM
Just wondering about that die: was it 1960's or earlier Japanese? or perhaps a Chinese version of a Japanese brand? In my experience anything Japanese from about 1972 or so has been about as good as it gets.

Greg

Swarfmaker1
17th January 2012, 02:20 PM
Just wondering about that die: was it 1960's or earlier Japanese? or perhaps a Chinese version of a Japanese brand? In my experience anything Japanese from about 1972 or so has been about as good as it gets.

Greg

Ever tried the frost brand? Utter crap . I have a UNF/UNC set which have burrs still attached to the cutting flanks. They don't cut as they bblunt also blunt.

.RC.
17th January 2012, 02:38 PM
Are we talking new or old Frost?

Frost used to be an Au drill manufacturer.... I think they are now owned by Sutton and operate in name only as far as making stuff here goes...

Greg Q
17th January 2012, 06:16 PM
Frost claims to be continuing the 50 year tradition of serving the handyman market in Australia/New Zealand. I thought that there stuff has been made in China for a long time.

Back in the 60's there were a lot of Japanese tool sets sold in blue metallic painted boxes. Indifferent or poor quality, but they gave the junk tool market to the Taiwanese, then the PRC soon after.

Swarfmaker1
17th January 2012, 07:54 PM
RC, I'm talking about new Frost. I though the Frost stuff was pretty good maybe 20 years ago, woefull stuff now. I believe Frost and P&N are owned by Sutton, Frost is obviously the low end of the range.

Are we talking new or old Frost?

Frost used to be an Au drill manufacturer.... I think they are now owned by Sutton and operate in name only as far as making stuff here goes...