PDA

View Full Version : illumination for camping

burraboy
17th January 2012, 08:01 AM
Here's a tip that I think worth passing on to those who hit the road or bush for a bit of camping. We bought from Aldi a SOLAR SHED LIGHT. Small solar panel and a 10 light LED thing. It charges up on the dash during the day and gives enough light to do the general cooking and camp chores, then setting on a table behind you, enough to read by. You might have to wait for it to come around again, but for $15, good value.

tea lady
17th January 2012, 08:07 AM
Ooooooh! Might be going to Aldi later. :cool:

burraboy
17th January 2012, 08:13 AM
The green shed has them too if you can't wait for them to come around. They cost something like $22.50 and have a remote control I/O as well. :rolleyes:

rsser
17th January 2012, 08:26 AM
It's a good idea if you're heading to wetlands and river country (and there's a lot of that at the moment even in the outback) to cover the light in yellow cellophane. Fewer mozzies are attracted that way and you reduce the risk of getting Ross R. fever, Barmah virus etc.

sjm
17th January 2012, 08:40 AM
LEDs are highly specialized semiconductors which emit a fixed range of wavelengths. The amount of UV and IR a conventional white LED emits is virtually zero. Mosquitoes are heat seeking (IR) and detect UV for egg laying, as well as sensing CO2. They will not be attracted to a white LED.

However, a conventional incandescent globe does emit both UV and IR, and in this case, filtering may help.

Big Shed
17th January 2012, 08:47 AM
I have recently swapped all the 12V incandesent globes in our camper trailer for LEDs.

We do a fair bit of bush camping and the camper trailer lights would put a fair drain on our 105amp AGM battery.

The 4 12V incandesent globes would consume 7amps, I added 2 extra globes and then put in 6 LEDS, the 6 LEDS consume 0.7amps!

The LEDS are a direct replacement, fitting wise, for the LEDS.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220811065672&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:AU:1123

Ozkaban
17th January 2012, 09:15 AM
I bought one of those Aldi lights last time and it's been sitting there getting in the way ever since. Thanks for the idea about camping - I most certainly will give it a go next time I'm out there...

Cheers,
Dave

rsser
17th January 2012, 11:26 AM
Will have to look into that Fred; thanks. I use a couple of 12V compact fluoros in worklights around the camper trailer but they're exxy and hard to replace in the bush.

I've heard that using LED globes in vehicles can cause problems. I'm sure SJM could comment.

SJM, that's interesting to read. Some posters on camper trailer forums swear by the method and one manufacturer produces a duo colour LED strip light. Just a con?

sjm
17th January 2012, 12:18 PM
Well, with an undergraduate degree in physics, majoring in semiconductors, and a postgraduate degree in electronic engineering, I think I know a thing or two about LEDs ;) Most insects (including mozzies) are attracted to UV and/or IR wavelengths, with some insects also being attracted by some wavelengths in the blue region of the spectrum. White LEDs do not emit UV or IR wavelengths, and so will not attract mozzies, but white LEDs do emit a small amount of blue, so may attract other insects (eg, moths, beetles). Thus there may be a legitimate reason for wrapping yellow cellophane around a white LED, or using different colored LEDs, but it certainly won't stop the mozzies.

munruben
20th January 2012, 03:42 PM
We live and we learn. :)

Woodworx
16th April 2012, 07:37 PM
Here's a tip that I think worth passing on to those who hit the road or bush for a bit of camping. We bought from Aldi a SOLAR SHED LIGHT. Small solar panel and a 10 light LED thing. It charges up on the dash during the day and gives enough light to do the general cooking and camp chores, then setting on a table behind you, enough to read by. You might have to wait for it to come around again, but for $15, good value.
Hi burraboy,

I've used solar lights before but they can let you down and I recently found some really good battery spotlights for camping. I've used them on few scout camps this year and haven't changed the batteries yet. Very bright, unusually long battery life, and they switch off when the scouts go to bed. They're only $30 on the Mr Beams Australia website.
Regards,

Peter