PDA

View Full Version : Finishing it off

finlay25
18th January 2012, 03:34 AM
Hi all started this little box about 3 months ago and didn't finish it off,it had been sitting in the shed and i didn't know what finish i was go to put on it, or even if i was going to put colour on it so i just kept it clear and fininshed it with some sanding sealer and
buffed it up on buffing wheel with some wax the wood is sycamore and is about 3"high by 4" wide hope you like:)

Ad de Crom
18th January 2012, 05:27 AM
You might think to use transparent colorless acrylic water-based, the wood grain remains visible.
Nice lidded box.
Ad

dr4g0nfly
18th January 2012, 09:14 AM
Hi Finlay,

I like the button knob on the top, and especially like the detailing hiding the lid joint, but personally I'd have gone with a inner to match the outer with a full cut corner and not the curved transition to the inside bottom.

Always difficult making something from bland wood like sycamore but you've got a very nice finish there, well done.

CV Turner
18th January 2012, 01:28 PM
... but personally I'd have gone with a inner to match the outer with a full cut corner and not the curved transition to the inside bottom....

This is another point for debate. In the perfect world of woodturning we are almost always told the interior and exterior profiles should be similar. I have turned many boxes for sale and have received somes comments, especially from older ladies, that the curved interior is preferred as it makes it easier to remove smaller objects. So given those comments I try to have some of each type on display.
As dr4g0nfly said, I also like the knob. You need an accent like a contrasting knob or inlay on such a bland wood as sycamore.

finlay25
19th January 2012, 05:54 AM
thankyou for your thread to sycamore box i will take onboard what you have said
and will try it on my next box:U

finlay25
19th January 2012, 05:59 AM
Thankyou i will keep that in mind

finlay25
19th January 2012, 06:02 AM
You might think to use transparent colorless acrylic water-based, the wood grain remains visible.
Nice lidded box.
Ad
Thankyou for your post i will take that on board:U

hughie
19th January 2012, 08:38 AM
[ I have turned many boxes for sale and have received somes comments, especially from older ladies, that the curved interior is preferred as it makes it easier to remove smaller objects.

darn good point, stuff convention, these things have to be practible.

I see in the USA many like to turn thier bowls etc egg shell thick along with a small dia base. One wonders how many are still around a coupleof years later.

artme
19th January 2012, 09:01 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:Neat little box!

TTIT
19th January 2012, 01:56 PM
..... I have turned many boxes for sale and have received somes comments, especially from older ladies, that the curved interior is preferred as it makes it easier to remove smaller objects.......I take offense at that :o I'm not that old or a ladie but I prefer my box corners rounded also - how the hell do you clean or get anything small out of those square cornered things :~ :;

Sawdust Maker
19th January 2012, 02:24 PM
darn good point, stuff convention, these things have to be practible.

I see in the USA many like to turn thier bowls etc egg shell thick along with a small dia base. One wonders how many are still around a coupleof years later.

That's the point - sell em another one :p

BTW - Finlay, I like the box