PDA

View Full Version : scaleing a model looking for a chart

hornpout
18th January 2012, 07:33 AM
hi guys does anybody have a chart or diagram on taking a scale demension and seing how long the model will be example 1/20 = how long 1/18= how long etc i`d love to find one me when i make mine i just spread both hand`s apart and hope it comes out good there must be a formular out there on the web if you find a link and want to share i`d be glad thank`s allot :~

_fly_
18th January 2012, 08:34 AM
take your calculator and type in your dimension. Then type in '/' and 20 then '='. Thats a 1/20 dimension. If you change the 20 to 18 it a 1/18 scale size.

So 2.8 Metres (a car say) at 1/20 scale would be .14m = 14 cm long. To small
1/18 is 2.8 / 18 = .155 (15.5cm).

mmm

Robson Valley
18th January 2012, 09:51 AM
There is a $4 circular slide rule called a "proportional scale" for sale in Amazon.
Also gives % for enlargements/reductions as you might do with a photocopier.
I just found out about it the other day and have not bought one yet.
If I buy 2, #1 will never get lost.

crowie
18th January 2012, 09:20 PM
There is a $4 circular slide rule called a "proportional scale" for sale in Amazon.
Also gives % for enlargements/reductions as you might do with a photocopier.
I just found out about it the other day and have not bought one yet.
If I buy 2, #1 will never get lost.
Do anyone know if these are available locally in Australia please?
Cheers, crowie

Master Splinter
18th January 2012, 09:40 PM
Just google 'proportional scale calculator' - there are a heap of sites that have a calculator online.

hornpout
19th January 2012, 10:37 AM
thanks for the info i`m going to looked into it might save some work

colbra
23rd January 2012, 12:27 AM
hi guys does anybody have a chart or diagram on taking a scale demension and seing how long the model will be example 1/20 = how long 1/18= how long etc i`d love to find one me when i make mine i just spread both hand`s apart and hope it comes out good there must be a formular out there on the web if you find a link and want to share i`d be glad thank`s allot :~

Hi Horny
This may help you out they are call proportionals dividers and are used in scale building and to alter scales they are a bit pricey and not used in the drawing office any more http://www.micromark.com/html_pages/instructions/14129i/14129-divider.pdf
Col:)