PDA

View Full Version : Woodfast Lathe

Geoff123
18th January 2012, 09:37 PM
Hi All,
I just purchased a Woodfast lathe. It appears to be pretty good for its age. I cant find any serial numbers. Does anybody know how I can identify the model? Any history? Was this a popular lathe?
Thanks Geoff

powderpost
18th January 2012, 10:25 PM
Contact Woodfast in Adelaide, They might be able to help. It is a very early model, pre 1980, that has been restored. Still a very solid machine. Invest in a new toolrest, that one on the lathe is a PIA. Hae a close look on the end of the lathe bed, a number may be stamped on the end of bed. A revolving cone centre will also be good.
Jim

Acco
18th January 2012, 10:37 PM
Hae a close look on the end of the lathe bed, a number may be stamped on the end of bed. A revolving cone centre will also be good.
Jim

In case you're wondering, the circle I've drawn is where Jim means :2tsup:

issatree
19th January 2012, 01:39 AM
Hi Geoff,
It maybe an older School Lathe, as they were around then, about 1960's, as was the " Tough " Lathes.
They have a small problem, as that Steel door normally Rattles like you wouldn't believe. Also a bit awkward to change the Belt for different Speeds.

hughie
19th January 2012, 08:40 AM
I have an 80's model refurbed and the model details etc are on the bed as indicated. If ask Woodfast they will charge you to open the archive.

jimbur
19th January 2012, 11:45 AM
I've an early one and the number is under the headstock.
Cheers,
Jim

Geoff123
19th January 2012, 09:20 PM
Hi Everybody, thanks for all the help. What are you doing up at 1:30am in the morning issa? Are you running power tools for the neighbours? No numbers on the end of the lathe. I'll take the headstock off over the weekend and see if there is any id there. Will also get some power to it and see how it runs. Cheers Geoff

China
19th January 2012, 10:29 PM
Some models have the number stamped on top of the bed at the tail stock end, so check there before you pull the headstock off

jimbur
19th January 2012, 11:27 PM
Some models have the number stamped on top of the bed at the tail stock end, so check there before you pull the headstock off
Good point China. It can get a bit fiddly.
Cheers,
Jim

Geoff123
20th January 2012, 07:43 PM
Got it!!!. at the back of the lathe stamped into the bed as kindly pointed out powderpost and acco .and exactly where you said china LS 22 83. I gues sthat the 83 refers to the year 1983. LS - I have no idea. Thanks Geoff

jimbur
20th January 2012, 08:52 PM
Got it!!!. at the back of the lathe stamped into the bed as kindly pointed out powderpost and acco .and exactly where you said china LS 22 83. I gues sthat the 83 refers to the year 1983. LS - I have no idea. Thanks Geoff
For a woodfast that's barely out of the box.
Years of enjoyment for you there Geoff.
Cheers,
Jim

powderpost
20th January 2012, 09:29 PM
Geoff, that lathe is earlier than 83. I have a lathe purchased late in 1981, and it has a square box like head stock, and the tail stock has a camlock instead of a nut and separate spanner to fix the tail stock to the bed.
Jim

RETIRED
20th January 2012, 10:18 PM
Geoff, that lathe is earlier than 83. I have a lathe purchased late in 1981, and it has a square box like head stock, and the tail stock has a camlock instead of a nut and separate spanner to fix the tail stock to the bed.
JimI have a feeling it could be "assembled" from numerous bits of Woodfast lathes. Don't matter, should still be a goodun.

maņana
21st January 2012, 09:18 PM
Our local Men's Shed was kindly given a similar lathe by a High School. The headstock is embossed "Hyco" while the rest of the lathe is branded "Woodfast". The headstock casting is the same shape/profile as the lathe bed where it is bolted to and is the same as the one in the above photo. Did the two companies merge at some time?
Mick C

chuck1
21st January 2012, 09:40 PM
great looking unit! ive got an old hyco and i love it! after a few modifications!

China
22nd January 2012, 12:16 AM
Hyco was I believe the earlier name for Woodfast

mattwolfe
22nd January 2012, 01:40 PM
it is an old school lathe used around the 80's and 90's we still have one at my school it does have a tendency to throw timber at you if you try to make hollow forms though

RETIRED
22nd January 2012, 03:55 PM
it is an old school lathe used around the 80's and 90's we still have one at my school it does have a tendency to throw timber at you if you try to make hollow forms thoughI would say that that is operator error.

Geoff123
22nd January 2012, 10:02 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. I am waiting for the electrician to turn up to wire it in. Can't wait to fire it up and see how it goes. I was going to ask about why one lathe would have a higher predisposition to throw a job at you over any other. Thanks for clearing that up .

Oh, powderpost, whats he problem with the tool post?

Cheers.

Geoff123
17th February 2012, 06:24 PM
Hi Guys,
thanks for your assistance in identifying the Woodfast lathe. The electrician came in the other day and hooked it up for me. Here are a couple of pics of a lump of redgum I managed to turn into a basic bowel. Much fun.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/58324-geoff123/albums/lathe-projects/8030-p2050038-medium.jpghttp://www.woodworkforums.com/members/58324-geoff123/albums/lathe-projects/8028-p2060003.jpghttp://www.woodworkforums.com/members/58324-geoff123/albums/lathe-projects/8029-p2050034-medium.jpg

powderpost
17th February 2012, 10:04 PM
Oh, powderpost, whats he problem with the tool post?

Cheers.
The problem is with the tool rest, not the post. It is made from pressed metal and will flex. The latter tool rest is cast iron and is more erect. The leading edge of the tool rest should project beyond the face of the tool post, when working on a face plate job.
Jim

Geoff123
19th February 2012, 12:03 PM
Thanks Jim, I understand - got it. I did experience a bit of chissel bounce when making the bowl. I found another tool rest - made from cast iron - in the cabinet. I'll give it a try on the next project. Cheers Geoff