PDA

View Full Version : Diamonds-#2

orificiam
19th January 2012, 10:08 PM
Hello everyone this is my first work of 2012, continuing the theme of Diamonds.
This time the diamond is surrounded by Ebony strips, Keeping the thickness of the strips equal between sanding was the most difficult part.:(
The main wood is Teak, I found this wood to be very oily, it wasn't too hard but it seems to blunt the tools very fast, it seems that I spent more time at the grinder that I did at the lathe.
Because of the wood being so oily before gluing the segments I had to wash the wood with Methylated Spirit to remove the oil.
Dimensions 145x85mm wall thickness of 5mm.

The wood used - New Guinea Ebony-Red Gum-Box-Huon Pine and Teak. 229 segments in all.
Finishing EEE-Ultrashine and Shellawax Glow.

Cheers Tony,:)

dr4g0nfly
20th January 2012, 01:14 AM
Teak is full of oil, which is why it makes such good boat building wood. It's also full of silicates which is why it blunts your tools so quickly.Question. How did you glue it together without knowing about the oil content?My normal method is to degrease the wood a deeply as I can with White Spirit to allow the Glue to grab and set. Otherwise I find it does not hold very well.

orificiam
20th January 2012, 06:56 AM
Thanks for looking Dragonfly, I was aware about the oil content, as I had read it in Malcom Tibbetts book, but I wasn,t aware of the silicates, however it was a plesant experience,
Cheers Tony.:)

Sawdust Maker
20th January 2012, 08:21 AM
Nice job

the joins look good and crisp :2tsup:

sparkie54
20th January 2012, 11:34 AM
Very nice looking piece this is the track I want to take well done

orificiam
20th January 2012, 07:32 PM
Very nice looking piece this is the track I want to take well done

Thanks Sparkies, I find Segment work very relaxing, and it keeps the Brain active
I recommend it.

powderpost
20th January 2012, 09:35 PM
Nice work Tony, you have done a very nice job. :2tsup::2tsup:
Jim

orificiam
20th January 2012, 09:40 PM
Nice work Tony, you have done a very nice job. :2tsup::2tsup:
Jim

Thanks Jim and Nick,.
Cheers Tony.

smiife
23rd January 2012, 07:53 PM
hi tony,
a beautifull piece tony ,your patience is amazing
in making these forms, well done mate:2tsup::2tsup:

JTTHECLOCKMAN
23rd January 2012, 11:50 PM
Diamonds are something I want to try to add to some pens. Do you think I can make them that small??? Do you have a photo of your cutting sled or jig??? Thanks Nice work by the way. I am just getting started in some segmenting work.

orificiam
24th January 2012, 12:08 AM
Diamonds are something I want to try to add to some pens. Do you think I can make them that small??? Do you have a photo of your cutting sled or jig??? Thanks Nice work by the way. I am just getting started in some segmenting work.

Thanks for the compliments JT, sure you can make them small. Here'e a Link to a video My friend and I made for the Italian forums as my Italian is very poor, I do the video and photos and send them to my friend Livio who does the editing and voice over, It's in Italian but it's easy to follow, Hope you like it.
Diamonds in the segmented - YouTube