PDA

View Full Version : Disgusting Vices

toolman49
20th January 2012, 01:36 PM
That got your attention,
At the moment Standaco are clearing out their entry level milling vices on a pick up from Nunawading basis . I grabbed a a 125 mm swivel base job to use on my drill press for $65.00, the quality is about what you would expect for the price. After ditching the base and a bit of milling, grinding,sanding and a coat of paint (even I could not live with the flouro orange) it came up quite reasonably, considering the price.
Regards,
Martin

Com_VC
20th January 2012, 04:50 PM
That came out looking good! Are they the same as these ones? Milling Machine Vice 125mm - Swivel Base - Mill Vice | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Milling-Machine-Vice-125mm-Swivel-Base-Mill-Vice-/270760051704?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3f0a8e83f8)

I might grab one at that price, if they have any left that is?

Do they have any other specials going on at the moment?

Thanks

toolman49
20th January 2012, 08:07 PM
G'Day,
It looks like the same vice, just a different colour, they have a few face mills, collet chuck sets etc. They list on eBay as bransby_pty_ltd.
Regards,
Martin

jhovel
20th January 2012, 10:11 PM
That got your attention,
....After ditching the base and a bit of milling, grinding,sanding and a coat of paint (even I could not live with the flouro orange) it came up quite reasonably....

What will Bob think? :B

Dave J
20th January 2012, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the tip.:2tsup:
If I was closer I would grab a couple as you can never have to many vices, but the postage kills the deal for me.

Dave

Anorak Bob
20th January 2012, 10:28 PM
What will Bob think? :B

These blokes won't know who he is.:D

Stustoys
20th January 2012, 11:39 PM
Hi Martin,
Great idea, looks like its meant to be there. What size is it?

you can never have to many vices
I may be the exception that proves the rule. :D(I still have my eye on "just one more" lol)

Stuart

Dave J
21st January 2012, 12:31 AM
Will you stop at 10? Or will it still be just one more, LOL

Dave

Michael G
21st January 2012, 06:58 AM
10? Let's see -
2 drill press vices
3 mill vices
1 on the shaper
1 x 5" Dawn (metal)
1 x 8" dawn (wood)
1 x Boley clamp on
1 x Eclipse instrument maker's vice
1 made as a project at school

Does the one on the bandsaw (not detachable) count?

Michael

Stustoys
21st January 2012, 08:32 AM
Well if we are counting bench vices one more would make 13 and that wouldnt be good so I might have to get two.

Dawn 6" offset
Record 4"
a little wood vice(though I'm not sure where it is)
10" on the shaper
4 6" mill vices
4 drill vices
That four armed 100mm odd shaped gripping vice thing

Each time I count them I come up with a different number lol
Do I get to count my 12" four jaw that was really bought as a vice more than a chuck?

I think I may have a problem and I dont just mean running out of space lol

Stuart

Edit, on second thought I dont think the 6" offset bench vice is a dawn

.RC.
21st January 2012, 10:49 AM
Well I am the king of pipe vices....

2 X record 181's
2 X record 182's
1 X record 183
1 X record 184
1 X record clamp type pipe vice
1 X ridgid tri-stand
1 X some cheap pipe vice

:D

toolman49
21st January 2012, 02:42 PM
G'Day Stuart,
The jaws are 125mm wide, opening 100mm, jaw depth 50mm.
Just finished knocking up a pair of soft jaws with 90 degree grooves for holding round stock and a clamp bar to hold the bugger down,
When it comes to vice count I can't come near you guys, with only 2x drill press, 1x milling, 2x5" bench vices @ right angles for welding and carpentry and a clamp on job in the car boot for field work, but then if we are counting all vices I drink, smoke and cavort with women of questionable virtue.
Regards,
Martin

pipeclay
21st January 2012, 03:47 PM
Have you got enough meat left to do a vertical 90.

toolman49
21st January 2012, 05:56 PM
G'Day,
For vertical round stock I usually use an knackered 4" 3 jaw chuck which has short
1 1/2" hex arbor and a hollow 20mm bore, the moral being never throw out an old chuck, one day you will find a use for it.
Regards,
Martin

Greg Q
22nd January 2012, 01:13 AM
I read this and thought you guys with ten vises were...out the a little bit. Then I did a quick count and came up with 13. :-

And I don't even have a shaper.

Yet.:wink:

RayG
22nd January 2012, 12:26 PM
Near as I can figure they must be breeding somewhere... 14 vises, probably as many vices, but I won't list those.. :)

Stuart's not helping, he visited yesterday, and dropped off a nice big milling vise for the shaper.. (thanks Stuart.. :2tsup: )

Regards
Ray

Anorak Bob
22nd January 2012, 12:40 PM
I've got a few as well but I yearn for more. Maybe one of these the most. A French Sagop.

Greg Q
22nd January 2012, 01:01 PM
You had to post that, didn't you?:wink:

One more to add to the list along with the Rohm hydraulic.

Greg

jhovel
22nd January 2012, 01:12 PM
Stuart's not helping, he visited yesterday, and dropped off a nice big milling vise for the shaper.. (thanks Stuart.. :2tsup: )

How big, Ray?
piccies please....
Joe

Anorak Bob
22nd January 2012, 01:40 PM
You had to post that, didn't you?:wink:

One more to add to the list along with the Rohm hydraulic.

Greg

There's a pair. Maybe I should talk to Martine, the Dutch girl at work about organising a transaction! :D But then again, I'm struggling with the 90 Pound an English seller's chasing to post a 5 kilo 102 faceplate to Perth. I reckon I'd haemorrhage over the shipping cost of one of those honeys.

For further enticement add Gerardi XL to your "saved searches"

BT

Greg Q
22nd January 2012, 02:00 PM
Maybe Martine should make the call to at least see about a price. I also need a Hembrug DR-1 fixed steady if that dealer is so equipped.

Greg

jhovel
22nd January 2012, 03:04 PM
Here is my this weekend's effort:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=195536&stc=1&d=1327204268

This is as I got it (after soaking with Inox to get it to move):

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=195537&stc=1&d=1327204268

I have some tool steel to make new jaws one of these days.

Is that OK Bob? :B

Damn, now I have to do a 'Bob's fault' on it's twin again....

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=195538&stc=1&d=1327205011

Joe

RayG
22nd January 2012, 03:48 PM
How big, Ray?
piccies please....
Joe

Hi Joe, it's the same size as the one i've been using, but much bigger jaws and heavier construction. The Wangaratta Tafe college staff go back to work next week, so I'm hoping to chase up the guy's in the mechanical engineering department to try and track down the original Varnamo.. fingers crossed.

That vise looks good, is that the $15 one from that old factory in Bendigo?

Regards
Ray

jhovel
22nd January 2012, 04:23 PM
Yes, Ray that is the $15 one.
Good luck with your Shaper vice search!
Joe

Stustoys
22nd January 2012, 11:43 PM
Stop it Bob I have enough already!
My pair of mill vices have jaws angled on the back like that but they don't seem to move at all to pull the work down like the ones on the drill vice.

Hope it comes in handy Ray, Although much better if you can not need it in a week as you've managed to find the original.

Stuart

Woodlee
23rd January 2012, 07:47 PM
Picked up this today for 120.00 , its going on my shaper until I eventually find a proper shaper vice .
Jaws are 9" wide and open to 6"
Kev

Dave J
24th January 2012, 12:34 AM
Good to see he had one, at least that will get you up and running.:2tsup:
Is he going to post it up to you?

Dave

Anorak Bob
24th January 2012, 01:21 PM
Maybe Martine should make the call to at least see about a price. I also need a Hembrug DR-1 fixed steady if that dealer is so equipped.

Greg

Done.

Informatievraag=Set machineklemmen Sagop R80.
Ik schrijf deze email voor Robert, die geen nederlands spreekt. Hij wil graag weten wat de set machineklemmen (Sagop R80) zou kosten, en of uw ook opstuurt naar Perth, Australie? uw kan mij emailen op ......

Bedankt,
Martine

Martine says the seller requires purchasers to either pick up items or organise their own transport. Sagop ownership might remain a yearning. :no: See if we hear anything before getting your hopes up about a steady.

BT

Greg Q
24th January 2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks Bob. I had a look at their website...Nice looking operation they've got going there. Too bad about the shipping. Thanks for doing that though.

Greg

Woodlee
24th January 2012, 10:49 PM
Good to see he had one, at least that will get you up and running.:2tsup:
Is he going to post it up to you?

Dave
LOL the old girl at the Katherine post office would have a hernia lifting it it's over 50KG .Probably blow a gasket myself .

Im arranging the freight from this end ,so he dosen't have to muck about ,trying to get a quote from E-go.com.au .
But have already spoken to a freight company here in town who can organise it . Its probably going to cost me .
Not sure if it's a shaper vice , but it will do until I find a proper one. Never seen a mill vice with slots in the bed ways like this has.
Kev.

Dave J
24th January 2012, 10:53 PM
I would say it's just a different design instead of having gib's on them like a lot of others. The slots would be there for bolts to come through from under the base to hold the movable jaw down.

Dave

Woodlee
24th January 2012, 11:51 PM
I got a price for an Indian made shaper vice from a company in India .
have attached the details .
I thought the price wasn't too bad considering shipping is included .
Not sure of the quality ,maybe ok maybe not .
The 8" swivel base is $439US the fixed base is $421US
10" swivel base is $653 US fixed base is $569US

Dave J
24th January 2012, 11:53 PM
Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator (http://www.woodworkforums.com/sendmessage.php)

RayG
25th January 2012, 12:51 AM
Hi Dave, Kev,

Worked ok for me... I'll repost it anyway.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f65/195926d1327409405-disgusting-vices-shaper-vice-cat.jpg

Thanks for that Kev, nothing wrong with the price, I wonder what freight would be? Ok I see it's included... :)

Regards
Ray

Woodlee
25th January 2012, 08:05 PM
Just got a quote from E-GO couriers for road freight from Bonnyrigg ,NSW to Katherine they are asking $339.00 to move the vice . Considering I'm paying $120.00 for the second hand vice makes the Indian vice a bit more attractive.
I'm going to see a local freight company on Monday to see what they can do ,they have a carrier that comes from NSW to NT once or twice a week.

Kev.