PDA

View Full Version : Hide glue pot

homesy135
21st January 2012, 01:42 AM
I've been looking for a cheap contraption to use as a hide glue pot. Others have suggested milk warmers and depilatory wax warmers. All the Australian sites either wanted too much or insisted on a minimum spend.

I've found a cheapy wax warmer on eBay:

Wax Paraffin Heater Warmer Hard Strip Waxing 400ml Pot | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250861402452#ht_2178wt_6188)

It took 4 weeks to get here from China/Hong Kong but it heats water up to 80 degrees Celcius on maximum setting so I'm crossing my fingers it will be okay.

Tonight I have my hide glue soaking in an equal volume of water. Tomorrow I'll melt/dissolve the glue and see how it goes.

cookie48
21st January 2012, 09:00 PM
Would a slow cooker do the job????

homesy135
21st January 2012, 11:16 PM
I don't see why not. I don't have a slow cooker or I would have probably tried it. The reservoir for the glue would be pretty big. You could always use a slow cooker as a double boiler and hold the glue in a smaller pot inside.

The wax pot was less than $30 delivered (albeit slowly) to my door.

China
22nd January 2012, 12:22 AM
have a look here these are reasonably priced The Gluepot Warmer | MusiCaravan (http://www.musicaravan.com/gluepot/warmer)

kiwigeo
22nd January 2012, 01:46 PM
An Electric fry pan also makes a good water bath to put pots of glue in. Also handy for washing brushes and stirrers.

I use a leg wax bath I got from Carbatec here in Adelaide....does the job fairly well.

kamusur
22nd January 2012, 08:34 PM
I use a slow cooker with a second jar inside (small vegemite size), water level in the pot is about 1/2 way up the jar.

Steve

homesy135
3rd April 2012, 05:57 PM
Quasi glue pot (wax warmer) going strong electrically. The aluminium insert pot developed a hole so I have had to buy a stainless steel insert pot to replace the holed pot. The stainless steel pot is an aviary bird seed holder from a pet shop. A bit smaller in diameter but the heating element seems to be concentrated on the bottom of the unit.

Still a happy gluer!