PDA

View Full Version : Round Balls???

JTTHECLOCKMAN
21st January 2012, 07:02 PM
OK I will pose this question to the mates on this side of the pond.:) Has anyone here turned round spherical balls on the lathe and if so do you have some photos. I am looking to learn to do this because eventually I would like to do some segmented ones and turn them. Is there a jig or tool to do this??? How is this done??? How do you get the determined size you need??? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

dr4g0nfly
21st January 2012, 07:42 PM
There are 3 ways I know of to turn a round ball;

1. practice and master your tools.

2. for larger balls use a jig - Lathe Ball Jig (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WOODTURNING-LATHE-100mm-BALL-TURNING-TOOL-JIG-/290658149391?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item43ac93640f)

3. For small balls (for games etc). You'll need a bi-metal hole saw just smaller than the size of ball you want. Grind the teeth off of it and then grind an edge.

Hole saws are threaded, connect this (and lock it) to a bit of bar to use as a handle.

Roughly turn the ball to size with your tools and then use the holesaw to smooth out the final shape.

It will take a little practice so try a few before you attack some good timber!

Tankstand
22nd January 2012, 09:46 AM
I had the pleasure of watching Theo Haralampou at our last (And possibly last ever :C) timber show.

Turnfest 2010 (http://www.woodturner.com.au/turnfest_2010_12.html)

Kidbee
22nd January 2012, 10:40 AM
Have a look on Vermec (http://www.vermec.com/) website. Look under "vermec products" heading, and you will see a sphere making tool there that also seems to have other applications. For background information, these products are made in Queensland and the Vermec proprietor and the Vicmarc manufacturer are brothers.
Gary

TTIT
22nd January 2012, 10:34 PM
The method Guilio Marcolongo demonstrates is the easiest and quickest I've seen. No fancy jigs required - just a pit of scrap to turn a dish shape in that is used to show high spots in the first section that is turned between centres. :think: . . . but I reckon I'll leave the explanation to one of the gurus or we could be here all day :B

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd January 2012, 05:31 AM
I have a few home-made sphere-turning tools that are basically just 12-inch(ish) lengths of steel pipe with handles wedged into one end. Each pipe will turn a ball slightly larger than it's own inside diameter, hence I have one for each dia of sphere I usually turn. (Trying to turn smaller will end up with the blank wedged inside the pipe! Not a good idea. :no:)

In use, the 'working end' of the pipe is simply filed square, preferably in such a way that any burr is formed on the inside edge of the pipe. Think of it as a circular scraper.

A roughly shaped blank is spun up, the pipe pushed against the work so the inside edge is in contact for much of it's circumference and away you go, constantly moving the pipe around and over the piece until all of the cutting edge is making contact.

Very loud, noisy and "brute force-ish." No need for finesse with presenting the bevel or other tomfoolery like that. :innocent:

It can - and often will - leave a rough finish, but with correct use it'll make a perfect sphere every time, practice will improve the finish until it's good enough for a quick hand-sanding.

Dalboy
23rd January 2012, 06:24 AM
The way I turn mine is to draw on a piece of card the size circle required cut just under half dia use this as a template to keep offering up to the sphere. Make two cupped pieces of wood one for the drive and one for tail-stock end put the partially formed sphere back in at right angles and turn remainder of.

Hope this makes sense.
Here is the result of my sphere