PDA

View Full Version : Rattle and Platter

sturina
23rd January 2012, 10:54 AM
Here are a couple of things I have played with lately. The first is a babies rattle made from Olive Ash. It is only the second or third I've tried and still trying to master sanding the inside and edges of the rings.

The second is a Eucalypt platter. After much umming and errring, we decided it was sappy eucalypt (looks almost identical to another burl I have). It is the first time I have had to turn the headstock of my lathe around and use it as an outrigger. It is finished with several coats of DO and some WOP. I was very happy with it, now just to find a place to put it.

issatree
23rd January 2012, 11:53 AM
Hi Sturina,
Maybe I can Help you, as I make quite a few Rattles.
When you use a Parting tool to segregate the Rings, you take the corners off, then Sand to at least 400G.You could use some of Neil's Food Safe on the Rings.
I use 2 Allen Keys, both Sharpened, as 1 goes in one side & vice versa.
As for Sanding the inside of the rings.
I tear a bit of 150G & either tape it to the Shaft or I glue the S/P with a couple of drops of Loctite 401, Super Glue.
A little hard to get off, but not to bad.
I always sign my work with an Artline .04 Black 200. I then oil up the whole lot.

sjm
23rd January 2012, 01:20 PM
....As for Sanding the inside of the rings. I tear a bit of 150G & either tape it to the Shaft.....

That's a good idea, so the sandpaper spins and you hold the ring. Might give it a go :wink: