PDA

View Full Version : demolish an indoor brick minibar

kufu
1st February 2005, 09:07 AM
I have an ugly looking minibar in my living room made out of brick. One side is single brick while the other is double brick. I desparately want to get rid of it but don't know how. It looks pretty sturdy and don't think I would be able to take it down myself.

Any advice on how to proceed? Who to call? And around how much something like this would set me back?

bitingmidge
1st February 2005, 09:19 AM
Two words:

SLEDGE HAMMER

:D :D :D

Brick work is actually not that hard to demolish, probably the best bet is to get a hold of a little lump hammer, and knock it off one course at a time. It's easier to use a slight upward motion.

Give it a go on a test bit (you're going to demolish anyway) if you still aren't confident, any handyman could do the job.

Demolition is VERY satisfying work!

P
:D :D

kufu
1st February 2005, 09:23 AM
if it was outside i wouldn't hesitate, but indoors with all the windows, walls and furniture is a little bit more delicate.

jackiew
1st February 2005, 09:23 AM
and don't forget the dust sheets .... hoovering up small lumps of brick buggers your vacuum cleaner :o

kufu
1st February 2005, 09:24 AM
well once the minibar is gone i'm ripping up the carpet and putting in laminates so i don't really care about how messy the floor gets :-)

wombat47
3rd February 2005, 08:21 AM
As Bitingmidge says, it's not that difficult to demolish brick work. You don't have to bash really hard - so you won't have hunks of brick flying around the room at high speed. If the end of the bar is against the wall, you might like to protect the wall with something. Corrugated cardboard (opened out cartons) would do.

It's a good idea to move furniture in the immediate vicinity (although I probably wouldn't do that until a hunk of brick landed in the fish bowl).

Put down a couple of plastic tarps, even if you aren't worried about the carpet - it's much easier to pick up the tarp and slide the bits of brick into a bin or bucket for removal. Most of the bricks will come away more or less in one piece, but there will be bits.

Pat
4th February 2005, 10:47 AM
A brick bolster use inconjuction with the lumpy and take it easy. Not my cuppa, I prefer the old swing as hard as possible when doing demolition work. :D

Termite
4th February 2005, 11:04 AM
well once the minibar is gone i'm ripping up the carpet and putting in laminates so i don't really care about how messy the floor gets :-)
Well if thats the case then what about 1/4 plug of Sakura 90%. WHOOOFFFAAA no more mini bar. :D