PDA

View Full Version : Banksia Pod Tealights

sjm
23rd January 2012, 06:40 PM
A couple of banksia pod tea light holders. They were meant to be a matched pair, but didn't quite work out that way :B Once you take it off, you can't put it back on again...

Made from a single giant banksia pod and a recycled redgum house stump. About 150mm high, 60mm wide, and finished with cedar traditional wax.

WIP photos show the pod mounted for hollowing and finishing the inside, before switching from compression to expansion and turning a spigot. The redgum spindle has a mounting hole drilled down the center.

These goblets are designed to hold a battery powered LED tea light, and are not intended to hold an open flame wax candle.

mkypenturner
23rd January 2012, 06:54 PM
what a great idea :2tsup: they look really great !!

cookie48
23rd January 2012, 09:38 PM
Very nice. Well done

Tim the Timber Turner
23rd January 2012, 10:09 PM
Like the concept.

Open flame near dry wood?

Hope you have product liability insurance.

Even if you give the items away, as the maker you may still be held liable.

Like I said I like the concept.

Cheers

Tim:)

mkypenturner
23rd January 2012, 10:17 PM
insurance is now known in the dictionary as " the bloody world has gone mad !!!! "

what a terrible downside to such an amzing idea

Grommett
23rd January 2012, 10:47 PM
Very nice indeed. All my tea lights are done with glass candle inserts (Ikea). Actually we don't allow candle sticks etc in our sale exhibitions unless they have some sort of guard. The delight of living in a litigous society.

cava
23rd January 2012, 11:02 PM
Very nice. Thanks for sharing. :2tsup:

mkypenturner
23rd January 2012, 11:06 PM
wonder if you could use one of those cheap glass tea light holders from the $2 shop ???

artme
23rd January 2012, 11:35 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

John Saxton
23rd January 2012, 11:54 PM
Some turners like the banjsia pods, I gave a bag away to the WT club in Perth last year had had them for years never got around to turning them others make coasters out of them.
Often make good fire starters on those cold mornings.:2tsup:
When we get a decent wind storm through here I have to pick them up so as to not mow them with the ride-on.

White ants love getting into them so I usually drown the buggers (banksi pods) in a bucket of water to get rid of them.

SJM Nice turning of the goblets they look good.

Cheers:)

dr4g0nfly
24th January 2012, 07:17 AM
You don't want to have to buy then here in UK, I pay £5:50 for a small one and upwards from that for bigger ones.

On the upside though, to us they are so strange to us that they sell well and you can make a few pennies from them:U

Ozkaban
24th January 2012, 08:06 AM
Beautiful work! I've tried to do similar (without the stem), but using the glass holders for the tea lights. Didn't work out so well though. Turning Banksia pods can be entertaining :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Dave

_fly_
24th January 2012, 08:10 AM
We'll pay about 8-10 quid for the big ones (foot long) here in melbourne. The small ones 4 inch I can get locally.

sjm
24th January 2012, 08:29 AM
Like the concept.

Open flame near dry wood?

Hope you have product liability insurance.

Even if you give the items away, as the maker you may still be held liable.

Like I said I like the concept.

Cheers

Tim:)

Thanks for your concern Tim, but I have no intention of selling or even giving away my work. It's very sad that I need to point this out, but it seems that I must state that they were intended to use battery powered LED tealights. These goblets are not intended for use with an open flame wax candle. :no: I have modified the original post accordingly.

dai sensei
24th January 2012, 09:52 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: