PDA

View Full Version : Clamping Tool

Twisted Tenon
26th January 2012, 12:09 PM
I just saw this on YouTube It looks a really effective way of clamping difficult angles. It made me wonder if the cabinet makers from by gone eras had their own versions.

TT

kiwioutdoors
26th January 2012, 03:12 PM
They look expensive and my bet is that you could do the same thing with a couple of hinge components

Twisted Tenon
26th January 2012, 03:31 PM
They look expensive and my bet is that you could do the same thing with a couple of hinge components

Yep that's what I thought too, Or bend some flat iron into shape. Which is why I wondered if this was done in a different way in another time. They are not on their web site yet so I don't know what they cost.

BTW I have no vested interest in this product, I just like the simplicity of it.

TT

mattocks
26th January 2012, 05:25 PM
From the Woodcraft website

BLOKKZ Universal Clamping Blocks
Item #153789
$24.99
This is for 2 blocks and 2 neoprene clamping pads.
They do look useful.

Cheers
Frank

Twisted Tenon
26th January 2012, 07:38 PM
Thanks Frank

TT

andrewr79
27th January 2012, 11:21 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a design for a couple of wooden wedges that do a similar job in a book I read - most likely Robert Wearing's Making Woodworking Aids and Devices.

Anodyne
28th January 2012, 10:22 PM
My take on it is that the circular loop on the end allows clamping forces of the 2 clamps to pass through the middle of the circle, perpendicular to the tangent and this prevents the clamp from slipping. Could be "bodgied up" with a few lengths of bar welded to sections of water pipe, or even solid rod if you didn't need to string them together with sections of thinner rod

Denim
30th January 2012, 10:06 PM
Just go down to your local hardware store and buy a couple of gate hinges. They are exactly the same design, only in galvanised steel.

Regards,

Denim

haggismuncher
31st January 2012, 08:01 AM
Somewhere on the laptop I have a off of how to make a wooden version. A strip of wood and a triangular piece (different angles I assume for non 90 degree corners). Will look it out when not on smart phone.

Chris

greek carpenter
31st January 2012, 10:10 AM
24.99 for a pair??? i think this is a better idea Clamp a Picture Frame the Old Fashioned Way - YouTube

Twisted Tenon
31st January 2012, 06:43 PM
Thanks Greek Carpenter. That's what I was getting at. I wasn't really looking at finding a cheaper way to copy them, rather what did people use in bygone days. I really like what I saw on You Tube and if i was doing frames & box's commercially I would spring for half a dozen of them. It looks a good idea and good luck to him.:D

TT