PDA

View Full Version : Mods To C3 Lathe For Wooden Toy Parts

AUSSIE
26th January 2012, 06:17 PM
Mods To C3 Lathe For Wooden Toy Parts

I was getting this ready to email to a member ,who has recently purchased a slightly bigger lathe.I think the ideas will work with a larget lathe as well
I designed the adapter to take the wood chuck,but had it made.I wouldnt try to make it on the C3.I only need to undo 3 nuts to change the chuck from either wood or metal
The adapter for large dia turning is Aluminium I had laying around.I just used one of those 1mm thick cutoff wheels used for cutting stainless.Worked fine.I made it to take large and small metal cutting tools(I use them to turn the wood wheels etc.. Obviously the wood adapter is the pattern I used to work it out.
To use hand held woodcutting tools,I put a steel bar in the tool post/I havent got a pic but if someone wants to see it I will take one

AUSSIE
26th January 2012, 06:21 PM
I forgot to show the kit box that the chuck and Jaws came in:DIt came from one of our sponsors

Scott
26th January 2012, 11:05 PM
Thanks Aussie, I'd love to own a metal lathe for this very reason. Making my wheels on the wood lathe is a matter of trial and error by hand. I might try and work out some sort of retro fit so I can do something like this.

Thanks once again!

bj383ss
26th January 2012, 11:44 PM
Love your Lathe Aussie. All that polished metal and red paint is sexy. LOL.

Bret

colbra
27th January 2012, 01:48 AM
Mods To C3 Lathe For Wooden Toy Parts

I was getting this ready to email to a member ,who has recently purchased a slightly bigger lathe.I think the ideas will work with a larget lathe as well
I designed the adapter to take the wood chuck,but had it made.I wouldnt try to make it on the C3.I only need to undo 3 nuts to change the chuck from either wood or metal
The adapter for large dia turning is Aluminium I had laying around.I just used one of those 1mm thick cutoff wheels used for cutting stainless.Worked fine.I made it to take large and small metal cutting tools(I use them to turn the wood wheels etc.. Obviously the wood adapter is the pattern I used to work it out.
To use hand held woodcutting tools,I put a steel bar in the tool post/I havent got a pic but if someone wants to see it I will take one

Thanks Ross I would like to copy your idea I have a 100mm chuck and my chuck attachment for the C4 is a little different but I should come up with something similar regarding the other chuck I am having a problem with, I have pulled it down and fixed it there were some burs left on the internal threads cleaned up with fine emery cloth and a bit of oil thanks for the pics
Col:)

PS I t’s a wonder there wasn’t red paint in there its every bloody where else:rolleyes:

crowie
27th January 2012, 09:36 PM
A lathe of any sort and the space to locate would great.
it'd test the "grey matter" as I haven't used a lathe since Navy days.
Anyways, THANK YOU Aussie for sharing your knowledge & know-how; it's very much appreciated.
Cheers, crowie