PDA

View Full Version : What is the best glue for box making?

Woodkid
27th January 2012, 09:33 AM
What is the best glue for box making?
Thanks.
Ben

groeneaj
27th January 2012, 10:19 AM
I use Titebond 3 - Titebond III Ultimate Wood Glue : CARBA-TEC (http://www.carbatec.com.au/titebond-iii-ultimate-wood-glue_c11793)
I find it gives me a little bit more time to put together dovetails without it drying too fast.

Andy

mn pete
27th January 2012, 10:42 AM
I've used Titebond and Titebond III. Like Andy says, TB III gives you a little more time to get your joints aligned and set.

Woodkid
27th January 2012, 10:58 AM
Thanks i use Titebond i was just wondering if there was anything else people like. So i will continue to use it.

son_of_bluegras
27th January 2012, 12:07 PM
I happen to like hot hide glue.

ron

Billyboydes
27th January 2012, 01:01 PM
Thanks i use Titebond i was just wondering if there was anything else people like. So i will continue to use it.

Hi Ben, there are four glues I use.
- Titebond 3 when a tan glue (it dries tan coloured) is OK. Good 'hold' while clamping.
- Gorilla Glue goes on white dries clear, dries to a very strong bond, but has more slip at clamping.
- Techniglue Epoxy when some fill is required, dries cream.
- Super Glue for quick fixes, with sawdust for filling, gluing brass to wood etc.

regards :U

AlexS
27th January 2012, 05:13 PM
Most glues are suitable. I use Titebond or Titebond II most of the time. For light coloured timbers I sometimes use epoxy such as Techniglue with tints; eg, for silver ash I would tint with ochre & white. Epoxy gives you more working time & is gap-filling, but is a bit slippery & messy until it starts to g6 off.

ian
27th January 2012, 10:06 PM
What is the best glue for box making?Ben

IMO there is no "best glue" for box making

hot hide glue is probably the most versatile in terms of open time and reversability and many will claim long lasting

almost any PVA would qualify as the most convenient, just squeeze the bottle

epoxy and other two pack glues have their place, but can be a pain to mix properly and clean up after -- and as Alex noted, they can be very slippery

Sculptured Box
28th January 2012, 06:52 PM
Hi

I've used Weldbond for some years. To reduce the slippery factor I will use 3 or 4 spots of Superglue, with the Weldbond - reduces the slip factor

For difficult shapes I also use electricians cable ties

munruben
28th January 2012, 08:48 PM
I use a good quality PVA glue. seems to do the trick and haven't had a glue failure yet.