PDA

View Full Version : Problems changing bits on a Porter Cable router.

Fricasseekid
27th January 2012, 08:06 PM
The chuck on my router seems unusually tight. Granted I haven't used the router that much and it's only about 2 years old, but after I loosen the nut that holds the bit in it still has a death grip hold. I usually have to use a wrench to pry against the base and under the bit to get bits out and when installing new bits I have to put a block if wood in my hand to push hard enough to push the bits down into the hole.
I'm using a 1-1\2 hp Porter Cable router like this one here: http://www.cpoworkshop.com/porter-cable-690lr-1-3-4-peak-hp-router/pcbn690lr,default,pd.html?start=2&cgid=porter-cable-routers
And some standard Ryobi bit assortment.

This can't be normal is it?

joe greiner
27th January 2012, 10:45 PM
Features include "Auto-release collet system ends -infrozen-in bits"

Whatever that means.

The death grip is what makes it work. But for ease of removal, don't set the bit all the way into the collet. Leave about 1/32" - 1/16" free travel, so that when you want to remove, rap the bit deeper to release from the collet.

Chances are, some of the components have become too friendly with one another. I'd take it apart and give everything a good cleaning.

It isn't normal to need such force to install bits, especially to avoid bottoming as suggested above.

Cheers,
Joe

Fricasseekid
28th January 2012, 12:21 AM
Ok, mine doesn't have the auto release feature. That must be the newer model.

So it is normal to have to pry the bits loose?

Do some brands of bits fit differently?

rayintheuk
28th January 2012, 04:12 AM
If the collet nut is two-part (i.e., a female nut containing a thin shallow conical sleeve) then the first loosening will not release the bit. You need to release the nut one further turn to release the bit. :)

Ray

Fricasseekid
28th January 2012, 07:22 AM
If the collet nut is two-part (i.e., a female nut containing a thin shallow conical sleeve) then the first loosening will not release the bit. You need to release the nut one further turn to release the bit. :)

Ray

I usually release the nut all the way until it spins freely.

rayintheuk
28th January 2012, 09:30 PM
OK, but I'm still not clear whether the collet is a two-part assembly. Does it look anything like the ones pictured below?

http://www.raygirling.co.uk/images/mof00113.jpg

The picture shows the underside of the collets. The inner sleeve clicks into the nut, forming the collet assembly. If it is simply a nut, it sounds as though the second part may have become detached and is still in the shaft.

Have you tried continuing to turn the nut and - if so - what happens. When you say "until it spins freely," does that mean that, if you continue to turn it that it will come off of the shaft?

Sorry for the questions, trying to help but without having seen the collet itself.

Ray

elanjacobs
28th January 2012, 11:18 PM
When you do manage to get the bit out, try giving the inside of the collet a rub with super fine steel wool - it might help in future and it can't hurt:2tsup:

Might be a long shot, but you could have a metric collet which is slightly smaller than imperial. I admit it's not likely but that would explain the problem.

If all else fails, try buying a new collet/lock nut.

Fricasseekid
29th January 2012, 11:34 AM
Here's what the collet on my router looks like:
http://img.tapatalk.com/a6890e3e-924e-a87c.jpg

After I turn the top nut a half turn, it comes completely loose and will spin up freely until it reaches the retaining ring at the top.

pal
29th January 2012, 02:59 PM
To me it looks as though you have the Collet in back to front.
It should not protrude out of the front of the nut as yours does
Have a good look at the photos that rayintheuk posted.

Regards

Harold

Fricasseekid
29th January 2012, 10:42 PM
The way it's installed in the photos is how it came from the factory. I've never changed it since I bought the router.

rayintheuk
30th January 2012, 12:24 AM
The collet is installed correctly.

When you say that the nut "spins freely" until it reaches the retaining ring, it is at that point you should be doing one more turn with the wrench, which should then release the bit. :)

Ray

Fricasseekid
30th January 2012, 01:16 AM
The collet is installed correctly.

When you say that the nut "spins freely" until it reaches the retaining ring, it is at that point you should be doing one more turn with the wrench, which should then release the bit. :)

Ray

How will it not bend the little retaining ring at the top by forcing the nut against it?

rayintheuk
30th January 2012, 01:56 AM
The ring should be designed to take the force of the nut, thereby lifting the inner sleeve upwards - thereby releasing the bit. That's how the "auto-release" or "self-selease" collet design works.

As suggested previously, once free, give the collet a clean and check for rust/corrosion on the inner sleeve. HTH :)

Ray

Fricasseekid
30th January 2012, 02:38 AM
Ok, will do. Thanks. I'll report back after I do so.

rayintheuk
30th January 2012, 06:14 AM
Looking forward to hearing what happens. The fact that the inner sleeve is still trapped is accounting for both the "death grip" you describe and the need to use a block of wood to insert the bit. Neither of these is necessary (or healthy for the collet) and once the collet is actuated correctly, you'll find that any correct-sized bit will insert into and withdraw from the collet without any force being required at all.

One final thing - NEVER tighten the collet without a bit inserted, or you'll destroy the inner sleeve part of the assembly.

Ray

Fricasseekid
19th February 2012, 12:59 AM
Sorry for the late update. The problem isn't so bad any more.

It seems that I do need to loosen the collet all the way because it was getting stuck down in the funnel shaped receiver that squeezes it tight. I still need to pry the bits out but I can put new bits in by hand once I remove the collet assembly. Thanks for the help fellas.

rayintheuk
19th February 2012, 03:41 AM
The collet should be in one two-part assembly, not in two separate pieces. If undoing the nut all the way leaves the "funnel-shaped receiver" in the shaft with the bit, then the collet has come apart and/or is missing the circlip that holds the assembly together. The "funnel-shaped receiver" you refer to is part of the collet nut assembly and should be connected to the nut at all times.

You SHOULD NOT have to pry any bit loose, which means that either the collet has sprung apart OR (more likely) that it's damaged and needs replacing.

Please get it looked at - the last thing you need on a router is a damaged collet. Bits flying about at >20,000RPM do a lot of damage.

Ray

Fricasseekid
20th February 2012, 12:02 AM
I think it's designed the way it. The collet and the nut are two parts of an assembly that fits onto the shaft. The router came with two interchangeable size collets. When I spin the nut and remove the collet from the shaft, the bit comes with it. Perhaps I'll post a photo later to further explain.

cadas
20th February 2012, 03:06 PM
I did notice on Amazon US, they are selling 'easy fit' collets for P&C routers. The blurb says it is to make removing bits easier.

Maybe this is a known issue.

Fricasseekid
22nd February 2012, 12:34 PM
I did notice on Amazon US, they are selling 'easy fit' collets for P&C routers. The blurb says it is to make removing bits easier.

Maybe this is a known issue.

I will look into that. Thanks for the heads up!