PDA

View Full Version : Sorry Boss.

Anorak Bob
29th January 2012, 01:15 PM
Imagine trying to explain this bit of handiwork. :no: Currently on offer at Reliable Tools.
KEARNEY TRECKER MILWAUKEE 10" x 50" UNIVERSAL MILLING MACHINE | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEARNEY-TRECKER-MILWAUKEE-10-x-50-UNIVERSAL-MILLING-MACHINE-/360430193886?pt=BI_Mills&hash=item53eb504cde)

.RC.
29th January 2012, 01:30 PM
That is not too bad.... A chap I know offered me an Elliott Sturdimill that had had one entire T slot ripped out...

Bryan
29th January 2012, 01:47 PM
No problem, just stamp 'OIL WEEKLY' next to it.

matthew_g
29th January 2012, 02:39 PM
I don't get what you mean by that Bryan.:? Am I missing something.?

Steamwhisperer
29th January 2012, 02:45 PM

I think that is supposed to make it look like you meant to do it

Bryan
29th January 2012, 03:19 PM
You read stories about people accidentally drilling a hole in a table and stamping OIL WEEKLY so it looks like it's meant to be there.
Doing that here is obviously absurd. Well I thought it was funny anyway. :-

Steamwhisperer
29th January 2012, 05:11 PM
I nearly fell off my chair laughing at that Remembering how many times I did it. Accidentally touching something with an angle grinder also became an oil groove

Phil

steran50
29th January 2012, 09:24 PM
:oStrewth What a way to Ruin a Beauty of a Machine.

China
29th January 2012, 11:10 PM
No worries just needs some builders bog!

Woodlee
29th January 2012, 11:23 PM
No mention of it in the listing description .
It also should read 2 and 5/8ths tee slots .
Its repairable with a bit of work but will never be as strong .

Kev

Stustoys
29th January 2012, 11:33 PM
I keep coming back to this thread, look at the pictures and shake my head. The thing is I'm not sure it was just one accident, I think they had three or four goes at it....

Stuart

Anorak Bob
29th January 2012, 11:41 PM
It looks like vertical power feed has been used while cutting with the horizontal arbor and then the table's been traversed. But like you say Stu, it doesn't look like a singular .... up. More like in for a pinch, in for a pound! The rest of the table looks to be in great nick. Pretty sad when you consider the machine could hark from around WW2.

BT

Stustoys
30th January 2012, 12:03 AM
Hi BT,
I thought the same as you but I think I may have come up with a different way to explain it.
How about this?
Its a vertical milling cutter. power feed in both X and Z.
Not sure what made the bump in the middle but the Z feed kept going until the face of the chuck was pressed against the table when the Z feed broke(or clutched) that explains the half moon dint at the end of the slot(?). Then either the cutter broke (which would explain the dint that extends to the end of the table or the X feed dropped out and that dint is from another time.
As you say, a real pity.

Stuart

PDW
30th January 2012, 08:11 AM
As you say, a real pity.

Stuart

It is a real pity but unless the table is seriously weakened structurally, it's still a perfectly serviceable machine. You never use all of the T slots all the time anyway and could work around it.

If I needed a mill like that and the price was right, I'd buy it regardless. Having a machine that's 50+ years old and in pristine condition is all very well, but unlikely. My B/port has a couple of minor cuts in its table, as does the Vicky mill, none done by me I might add.

Comes back to other discussions. Do you buy machines to cut metal, or to look perfect as exemplars of the manufacturers' art?

PDW

Anorak Bob
30th January 2012, 12:13 PM
Comes back to other discussions. Do you buy machines to cut metal, or to look perfect as exemplars of the manufacturers' art?

PDW

For me, a bit of both. While none of the machines I own are perfect, I do derive considerable pleasure from simply admiring the thought that went into and the execution of their design.

PDW, I do not use any of my machines as a means of earning a livelihood. I'm certain my romantic view would disappear if they were my tools of trade. I'm happy to keep it romantic.

BT