PDA

View Full Version : Huanyang VFD front panel pot

RayG
29th January 2012, 06:14 PM
Well, it's not steam driven shapers, but I hope someone finds this useful.

The credit for this modification must go to Joe Hovel, who posted the details on CNCzone.

The front panel keypad on some Huanyang VFD's shows that there is the option to fit a pot on the front of the keypad.

When you pull the keypad apart, you will find everything is there, just the pot itself is missing.

http://www.backsaw.net/pics/Misc/DSCN1723.JPG

A suitable 10k linear Bourns pot is available from Mouser PTV09A-4020F-B103 Bourns Potentiometers (http://au.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=PTV09A-4020F-B103virtualkey65210000virtualkey652-PTV09A-4020FB103)

There might be a suitable pot available from Jaycar, I haven't checked. If anyone want s one I have more than a few, I use the exact same pot in other projects. Send me a PM.

Next is to select the front panel pot rather than the external screw terminals, this is a jumper on the terminal PCB.

http://www.backsaw.net/pics/Misc/DSCN1724_1.jpg

The other changes, are to select PD002=1 external reference.

The rest of the settings are same as if you used a pot connected to the terminals

Regards
Ray

jhovel
29th January 2012, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the credit Ray. I just "had to know" why there was a speed scale printed on the panel... Getting the pot was a pain, since I had no idea how to specify it other than resistance..... Jaycar staff got it for me but it took weeks.
I'd like another for my second Huangyang.... if you have a spare.
Joe

RayG
29th January 2012, 09:27 PM
I'd like another for my second Huangyang.... if you have a spare.
Joe

Hi Joe,
No problem.. I can post it, or you can pick it up next time you are over here.

Access to the forum from iinet has dissapeared into a routing black hole somewhere in Dallas... so I'm on a backup nextG system for a bit, and telstra access seems to come and go as well...

Regards
Ray

Dave J
29th January 2012, 09:51 PM
I would just like to thank Ray for posting this mod and Joe for the idea, :2tsup::2tsup:

Ray I have sent you a pm about the pot.

Joe, would you have the jaycar part number for reference?

Dave

jhovel
29th January 2012, 11:37 PM
Sorry Dave, that's why I asked Ray to reserve one for me. It wasn't a Jacar part. One of the local friendly Jaycar guys looked up a supplier catalogue and ordered one for me - outside the Jaycar range.....
Joe

Dave J
30th January 2012, 12:15 AM
No problem Joe hopefully I can buy one off Ray, thanks again for the idea.:2tsup:

Dave

eskimo
31st January 2012, 12:20 PM
Ray

did you know you can get them from the ebay sellers?...and also remote with cable?

Dave J
31st January 2012, 12:34 PM
Sounds good, do you have any links?

Dave

eskimo
31st January 2012, 12:48 PM
Sounds good, do you have any links?

Dave

I got mine from the ebay seller that I got VFD from ......cant recall who that was Dave..its was so long ago

here's email address
[email protected] .

eskimo
31st January 2012, 01:07 PM
i think this is him Dave

PROFESSIONAL 2.2KW 10A 220-250V 3HP VARIABLE FREQUENCY DRIVE INVERTER VFD p6 | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PROFESSIONAL-2-2KW-10A-220-250V-3HP-VARIABLE-FREQUENCY-DRIVE-INVERTER-VFD-p6-/230721973100?pt=BI_Electrical_Equipment_Tools&hash=item35b819eb6c)

Love Happy shopping rings a bell

Dave J
31st January 2012, 01:24 PM
It should, we all know you love shopping,:D

Seriously though, thanks, I looked though his shop but there is nothing listed, but will contact him. Did you get a remote panel? If so have you posted a photo of it here?

Ray is sending me some pot,:Smoker: :stars: I mean he is sending a pot,:roflmao2: but interested in a remote panel so I can leave the VFD somewhere else.

Dave

eskimo
31st January 2012, 01:43 PM
here is a couple of pics Dave

The remote includes the display of the VSD but comes with a carrier that clicks into a panel of your choice.

if you wanted to you could use your display from your VSD with pot mod and get some plugs that fit the display and VSD's PCB...it just clicks out. The plugs are available from jaycar. You would need to use shielded cable if your run from the VSD to the remote is long in length...thats what is recommended anyway.

The only problem with using the VSD display is being able to hold it in your panel

The remotes you buy has a carrier which holds the display and will click into a panel with correct size hole.

Dave J
31st January 2012, 01:51 PM
I had a play around with it and noticed the panel comes out. When you buy the remote do you get another display and the plastic piece, or just the plastic piece. Also do you get a extension cable with it.
And last can you remember the rough price it was?

Thanks for the help Eskimo.:2tsup:

Dave

eskimo
31st January 2012, 03:14 PM
It included the front panel with the rotary pot, cable to my length - 2 metre and the plastic carrier so that it can be placed into a panel or lid of suitable small enclosure

it was US$46 delivered going by my paypal reciept back in april 2010..i'll get around to fitting it it one day....and no smart comments!!!!

Dave J
31st January 2012, 03:32 PM
Thanks for that, not a bad price for what you get.

Smart comments, me :roll: :D
At least you can blame the nut on Ray, :D

Dave

RayG
31st January 2012, 10:22 PM
Thanks for that, not a bad price for what you get.

Smart comments, me :roll: :D
At least you can blame the nut on Ray, :D

Dave

Thanks Dave, :doh: now you've reminded him, he will be blaming me for not doing it...

Buying the pot and extra bits off "Love Happy Shopping" is a good tip, I hadn't seen that he was offering those. :2tsup:

Regards
Ray

Chris Parks
5th February 2012, 11:54 PM
Better late than never, Jaycar have the ribbon cable and plugs to remote mount the keyboard.

Dave J
6th February 2012, 12:15 AM
Thanks Chris,:2tsup:

Dave

jhovel
6th February 2012, 12:22 AM
'Love-happyshopping' doesn't list the remote panels, mounts or cables (nor do any other eBay sellers). I've contacted him (or her) and will pass on any info I get back.
Joe

eskimo
6th February 2012, 09:08 AM
'Love-happyshopping' doesn't list the remote panels, mounts or cables (nor do any other eBay sellers). I've contacted him (or her) and will pass on any info I get back.
Joe

yeah..I had to ask before I ordered mine

and yes as Mini says..the cable and plugs are available from Jaycar

I found it easier to just order them from lovehappy when I ordered the remote panel.
(i think he or she calls himself/herself "Saintstone")

Bryan
6th February 2012, 09:48 AM
I corresponded with a "David". There's probably hundreds of 'em.

eskimo
6th February 2012, 10:12 AM
There's probably hundreds of 'em.

probably hundreds of different names that he go by you mean!

Chris Parks
6th February 2012, 11:18 AM
The cables from Jaycar are the same colour code and it takes about two minutes to make a cable. I am using a different type of VFD these days, the remote mount is by using an ethernet cable and it already has the rotary speed dial on it. if anyone is interested I am about to place an order in to get some so I could bring a few in that are suitable for CNC use. This is the brand....Powtran Technology Co.Ltd-Frekvensomformer£¬ AC-Umrichter£¬ frequentieregelaars£¬ Variatori-AC£¬ Variatore frequenza£¬ variadores-AC£¬ variador frecuencia£¬ Variateurs-AC£¬ Variateur fr¨¦quence£¬ conversores freq¨¹¨ºncia£¬inversor freq¨¹¨ºncia£¬ frek (http://www.powtran.net/product_detail.asp?id=439)

It has several advantages over the Haunyang

Remote mount by ethernet cable
Download into the keyboard, upload from the keyboard
Rotary speed dial installed from the factory
No huge delivery fees from the supplier

If anyone would like to try one let me know what power level and I can get a price.

jhovel
6th February 2012, 11:07 PM
That looks like impressive specs, Chris!
What sort of prices are we talking about her - for say 1.5 and 2.2kW size?
Cheers,
Joe

jhovel
6th February 2012, 11:25 PM
Oh, I just realised that 'Saintstone' is the guy I corresponded with and who sent me the English Huanyang user manual in Word format - that I edited and they used ever since without thanking me..... :(
I recently saw a printed version (with the VFD a friend of mine bought) and they obviously didn't understand some of the English in the edited version and they ignored it :)
An example is the "Digital Operator" - if anyone is confused, it's the "Operator Panel" or "Control Panel". They didn't agree with that one :) and liked the word 'digital' in there better.... I guess it is digital since that's the latin word for 'finger', and it does allow you to 'operate' the device too. ;)

Anyway, I just emailed him with the same request - his e-mail is [email protected]

Joe

Dave J
6th February 2012, 11:35 PM
Pot arrived today, thanks Ray.:2tsup:

Dave

Chris Parks
7th February 2012, 02:48 AM
That looks like impressive specs, Chris!
What sort of prices are we talking about her - for say 1.5 and 2.2kW size?
Cheers,
Joe

Joe, give me 24 hours to get prices. I did not know what power levels you guys used as I have only brought in the 4KW version up until now.

eskimo
7th February 2012, 07:44 AM
Oh, I just realised that 'Saintstone' is the guy I corresponded with and who sent me the English Huanyang user manual in Word format - that I edited and they used ever since without thanking me..... :(

Can I have a copy...in english ...not chinglish

Bryan
7th February 2012, 08:25 AM
Joe, give me 24 hours to get prices. I did not know what power levels you guys used as I have only brought in the 4KW version up until now.

How much was that?

Chris Parks
7th February 2012, 02:55 PM
Ball Park pricing has been established, it won't alter a lot but as I don't know the background costs etc it is not precise. Give or take a few dollars the 1.5 will be $165 and the 2.2 $205.

What we do with these is program one VFD, upload into the keyboard then put that keyboard onto the next one and dump the program into that VFD. I am going to keep one master keyboard for this purpose as the process is far simpler than trying to individually program each one. This works for us as everyone uses exactly the came parameters to at least start the dust collector after installation. I can see that if someone stuffed a preset program I would be able to exchange keyboards by mail which I think is a good thing as well or if someone wanted something special I would be able to do the same thing, program and post the keyboard.

jhovel
7th February 2012, 11:59 PM
Can I have a copy...in english ...not chinglish

It's still largely 'Chinglish' as I said.... and they still preferred the 'digital operator'....

here you are: http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2971405/huanyang-english-manual-b-pdf-july-10-2011-11-15-pm-8-6-meg?da=y

Joe

eskimo
8th February 2012, 07:38 AM
It's still largely 'Chinglish' as I said.... and they still preferred the 'digital operator'....

here you are: http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2971405/huanyang-english-manual-b-pdf-july-10-2011-11-15-pm-8-6-meg?da=y

Joe

Thanks Joe

Dave J
9th February 2012, 02:15 AM

Joe

Thanks for that Joe, :2tsup: they could have given you some credit for it, or even a % off store voucher at the least for helping them out.

Dave

jhovel
9th February 2012, 10:35 PM
Dave, I suspect if I asked Saintstone he probably would give me a decent discount. He is a regular member on the CNCzone forum and a 'good guy'. I rather suspect he is a go-between or Hong Kong based whlesaler or dealer and has a little influence ont he manfacturers, but no more than that.
When I did the editing, I couldn't see myself buying another one - but have since from someone on this forum (as second owner - of a new VFD).
I also think that the next one I buy will be a sensorless vector drive, rather than a Huanyang....
Joe

Chris Parks
10th February 2012, 02:37 AM
That manual is nothing like the one I have, mine is written very well. I have no idea where it came from though as I have had it for quite a while. I just had a good look at it and it is absolute rubbish compared to my version.

eskimo
10th February 2012, 07:43 AM
That manual is nothing like the one I have, mine is written very well. I have no idea where it came from though as I have had it for quite a while. I just had a good look at it and it is absolute rubbish compared to my version.

and your inverter is a huanyang

if so.... give us a copy of your manual

seafurymike
10th February 2012, 08:03 AM
Sorry to ask, but the remote unit came from chai? My front panel has a problem with the display and this would be a cheap way to fix it.

Dave J
10th February 2012, 11:35 AM
and your inverter is a huanyang

if so.... give us a copy of your manual

+1
Me to if it's not to much trouble

Dave

Chris Parks
10th February 2012, 01:45 PM
My inverters, at least 10 of them came from Happy Shopping and in the package was a doc with a link it it to DL the manual IIRC. If I can't find the link I will organise to distribute it for you guys, give me 24 hours.

Dave J
10th February 2012, 01:55 PM
Thanks,:2tsup:
Take your time, no hurry even if it's a couple of weeks.

Dave

eskimo
10th February 2012, 01:57 PM
thanks Mini

RayG
10th February 2012, 02:39 PM
Hi Mini,

Does that Huanyang manual you have list the error messages?

That one Joe linked to is the only version I've seen that has the error messages chapter.

Regards
Ray

Then there's always this one from CNCDIY linked to from the CNC forum, alas no error message chapter.
But does have spindle wiring diagrams tacked on the end. And some good information on modbus comms, that's missing from the other one.

www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f170/165773d1301457503-tips-newbie-huanyang-vfd-users-hy-series-inverter-20100627.pdf (http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f170/165773d1301457503-tips-newbie-huanyang-vfd-users-hy-series-inverter-20100627.pdf)

Chris Parks
10th February 2012, 02:47 PM
A link but not the one I have, but ok all the same....

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f170/165773d1301457503-tips-newbie-huanyang-vfd-users-hy-series-inverter-20100627.pdf

A lot of info in this thread.....

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f170/tips-newbie-huanyang-vfd-users-96380/

RayG
10th February 2012, 02:56 PM
Hi Mini,

I think we crossposted, I was in the process of adding that same link.. does yours have the error message chapter and the modbus comms as well?

Regrds
Ray

Chris Parks
10th February 2012, 03:06 PM
It certainly has the modbus communication protocol in it. I can't see an error chapter though. PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

Bryan
10th February 2012, 03:22 PM
Since this document is in the public domain, why don't we (someone) gather all the versions and put together one definitive edition with all the best bits? Give it a distinctive name and post it on all the relevant boards? So we don't have to keep going through this.

Dave J
10th February 2012, 03:30 PM
I vote for Bryan since he mentioned it. LOL

Dave

seafurymike
10th February 2012, 03:44 PM
It certainly has the modbus communication protocol in it. I can't see an error chapter though. PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

The modbus protocol on this VFD is buggered. You should refer to the stuff that was written by Mark hastings located here Huanyang VFD controller plugin (http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,14182.0.html)

In addition, we have been talking about this VFD for so long over here:

This is a very good thread and I have even written some documents on interfacing it to spindles, motors and external control devices.

Michael

Chris Parks
10th February 2012, 03:46 PM
The modbus protocol on this VFD is buggered. You should refer to the stuff that was written by Mark hastings located here Huanyang VFD controller plugin (http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,14182.0.html)

In addition, we have been talking about this VFD for so long over here:

This is a very good thread and I have even written some documents on interfacing it to spindles, motors and external control devices.

Michael

I don't even know what a Modbus thingy is so it won't worry me whether it works or not. I no longer use the Huanyang having gone to another brand Powtrans. We commissioned two systems this week and they appear to be working ok so far.

Bryan
10th February 2012, 06:14 PM

Dave

Thanks Dave. :cl: Seafurymike clearly has a few clues about the subject; I'm an electrical dunce.

eskimo
11th February 2012, 11:08 AM

Dave

me too...and he only said that to try and get out of it...:U

RayG
11th February 2012, 03:26 PM
Hi All,

Well, I've had a bit of time to compare a few different Huanyang manuals, the one mini referred to it the same as one I already had. There are at least 4 or 5 variants that have been posted in various places. The one by CNCDIY linked to earlier in this thread is pretty good, but the one Joe did, it still the only one with error message descriptions. Only problem is the error message descriptions are difficult to read? Joe, do you have a better resolution version?

I think all it would take is to add the error message chapter, maybe a section on adding the front panel pot and sample configuration for lathe and mill operation, a lot of the documentation on the cnc forum is specific to high speed spindle operation.

Since the drives come configured by default for 400 Hz operation, the first thing to do is warn people who are using these to run normal 3 phase motors to change the frequency to a more reasonable value..

Regards
Ray

PS.. I have written linux drivers for the modbus interface if anyone wants modbus spindle control under EMC2 I'm sure it could be done. I just haven't looked at the EMC2 side of it yet. They use non -standard function codes which means standard modbus register reads and writes don't work... :doh:

Bryan
11th February 2012, 03:41 PM
Ray, here's a link to jpg versions. May not be any better. Thought I had them in .doc format but can't find it.

PS: Note the follow-up about page numbers.

Huanyang VFD Inverter all available Error Codes - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net! (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/phase_converters_vfd/117229-huanyang_vfd_inverter_all_available.html#post859846)

Dave J
11th February 2012, 04:27 PM
me too...and he only said that to try and get out of it...:U

Vote 1 for Bryan.

BRYAN :thewave:

:roflmao2::roflmao2::roflmao2:

Dave

Bryan
11th February 2012, 06:40 PM
Too late, Ray's already done it. Right Ray?

jhovel
11th February 2012, 09:21 PM
OK guys, I'll pipe up then....
I have

the english manual with error codes section in full resolution - it's 15.3MB
the Word .doc version up to the troubleshooting guide (no error codes) 4.5MB
the CNCDIY version with basic connection diagrams (no error codes) 775kB
the Huanyang VFD Mach3 plugin manual 433kB
the required HuanyangVFD.dll 63kB
and a detailed remote connections diagram 504kB
Not sure exactly how to make them available, because of the 15MB file.
Ray, could you host them together somewhere with the drivers you have?
Anyone have any additional resources to go there?

I also have manuals for several other VFD btands....

Joe

RayG
11th February 2012, 10:45 PM
Hi Joe,

Which one would be the best to start with?, as far as size goes, the text versions are going to compress to a smaller pdf than the scanned versions.. the CNCDIY one has his "edited by CNCDIY" notices all over it, although he isn't claiming any kind of copyright, It would be polite and proper to retain the acknowledgement.

Your version is heavy with graphics and scanned pages, which contributes to the size....

I think the quickest and best result would be to take the error chapter from your version and add it to the CNCDIY version... what do you think?

Regards
Ray

Dave J
11th February 2012, 10:58 PM

Just stirring Bryan, :2tsup:

Dave

Bryan
11th February 2012, 11:18 PM
Yeah I know Dave. Jeez you can't expect a bloke to come up with ideas and do the legwork! :wink:

RayG
11th February 2012, 11:54 PM

Um... that would be No... I'm with Dave and I vote 1. Brian....

Unless Joe has already done it... :)

Regards
Ray

RayG
12th February 2012, 12:22 AM
I forgot to mention, there are numerous downloadable VFD manuals here...

Techsys Corporation - Australia's Leading Supplier of Pump Control Systems (http://www.techsys.com.au/downloads/VFDMan.htm)

Regards
Ray

jhovel
12th February 2012, 12:25 AM
OK Ray. The full manual with error codes would be a good start. I managed to optimise it to 10MB.
My edited Word version goes to 3.6MB in PDF form.
The CNCDIY version should have that in the filkename. I can't do anything about their footers in PDF anyway.
The rest are all PDF (and one small .dll)
Now makes a total of 15.5MB....

Joe

RayG
12th February 2012, 12:29 AM
Hi Joe,

If you could email them to me i'll put them up for download.

Regards
Ray

Dave J
12th February 2012, 12:30 AM
Um... that would be No... I'm with Dave and I vote 1. Brian....

Unless Joe has already done it... :)

Regards
Ray

Does that means we are back to
Vote 1 for Bryan.

You do it like this Bryan :crash:

Dave

http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/misc/progress.gif

Bryan
12th February 2012, 10:08 AM
Guys if you think the different versions have their places, maybe my idea wasn't so great. Maybe just an expanded version of the version list Joe wrote, with filenames and links, would be helpful to circulate.

RayG
13th February 2012, 06:21 PM
Hi Bryan,

Well, you procrastinated far too long... Joe beat you to it.. :)

I've put up a basic web page here Huanyang Library (http://www.etech.net.au/Huanyang/)

That's a domain that I've been intending to use to document some electronic projects, so this fits nicely into that category...

Regards
Ray

Bryan
13th February 2012, 06:35 PM
Well done, Ray & Joe, thank you.
Honourable mention to Dave for exceptional barracking. :D

Dave J
13th February 2012, 07:01 PM
Thanks Ray and Joe, :2tsup:
And thanks Bryan,:2tsup: LOL

Dave

jhovel
13th February 2012, 10:23 PM
Now that's a team!:2tsup:

Hang on.... wasn't it Stu's job to 'invent things' and then have Ray and me to execute them????? :;

Damn it Ray, we've been sucked in again! :doh::doh:
Joe

eskimo
14th February 2012, 07:24 AM
we've been sucked in again!

serve's you right:D

and thanks for the link:D

Big Shed
14th February 2012, 08:56 AM
Thanks Ray, great contribution:2tsup::2tsup:

.RC.
20th February 2012, 05:17 PM
Well I have lashed out and bought one of these inverters for my little TC grinder (1/3hp motor)

I think I will need to make a dust proof enclosure for it....... The quality seems quite good.... Seems the cheap stuff I get out of China direct is a step above in quality then the cheap china stuff I see in retail stores...

Bob Willson
20th February 2013, 01:27 PM
I found that I needed to set PD070 to 1 in order to get 2400 rpm, without this I only got 12000 rpm. This changes the analog input range from 0-10v to 0-5v.
Only took me about 2 hours to work it out.:rolleyes: