PDA

View Full Version : Plane Storage

DJPhoto
2nd February 2005, 07:40 AM
Ok, I have not posted any project photos for a while, but have some coming up soon. In the mean time, I am kinda new to owning a collection of planes. I have always had one 9 in smoother I used for most stuff and a small 5 inch for lighter work. I now have a bunch. And I hated going in and out of the tool box for them, worried when they were on the bench and was always wondering if my blades were touching anything that would dull them... then I solved all that with a piece of 1/4 in plywood and a few screws....
is it a good idea???

Bubinga
2nd February 2005, 08:25 AM
Well, that's interesting :cool:

TassieKiwi
2nd February 2005, 08:27 AM
Looks bloody good to me. Don't let'em fall on the concrete........:eek:

Zed
2nd February 2005, 08:55 AM
inventive - but i wouldnt do it that way - I'm scared stupid of dropping my clifton already let alone hanging it by its tote, question : could the steel move or warp etc if a plane is stored that way ?

simon c
2nd February 2005, 09:11 AM
I'd be terrified of dropping one of them. Particularly knocking one out as I tried to remove another.

I hang my clamps from the ceiling rafters and often drop one of them.

But it is the basis of an idea.

Maybe have them spaced further apart so you're less likely to interfere with one. If you had an empty shelf underneath, then they wouldn't drop to the floor - but that may restrict access.

Thanks for posting though - it inspires further innovation.

ozwinner
2nd February 2005, 05:41 PM
It wouldnt work down here cobber, the planes would all hang the wrong way.

Al :p

Paul O'H. Ingersoll Canad
5th February 2005, 04:21 AM
Another way of storing them would be to surface mount Lee Valley Rare Earth Magnets. One magnet per plane , this wll keep the blade clear . The magnets have mounting cups, different sizes will hold different weights. The 1/2" will hold a plane, if in doubt go to the 3/4"
paul