PDA

View Full Version : Shy scriber

Steamwhisperer
29th January 2012, 11:35 PM
I have a bit of a problem. I found this scriber in a junk shop and picked it up for a dollar. The only problem is I am having difficulty getting the scriber out of the body. I have had it soaking in 'ROST-OFF PLUS' for about a month now and as many ways as I try to get it out I have an equal amount of failures.
Does anyone have any ideas.

Phil

jhovel
29th January 2012, 11:59 PM
Looks like the hole it's hiding in is about 1/8".
How about solf soldering a draw wire to the tip and pulling it out?
The heat shouldn't so anything to the hardness and you can scrap or sand the solder off once its out.
Joe

Stustoys
30th January 2012, 12:11 AM
Hi Phil,
Have you tried screwing the "lock nut" most of the way on, then dropping it vertically(lock nut down of course) onto a concrete floor(or a steel plate)?

Stuart

steran50
30th January 2012, 07:43 AM
HI:),
A couple of suggestions.
Boil some Water in a Pot and Place the end of the Scriber in it for about 30 Seconds whilst its Boiling (watch out for the Steam don't burn yourself). With the Lock Nut on a bit put the lock nut on before the scriber goes into the water. Try tapping the back end of the scriber for example underneath a workbench or try tapping the open end downwards. Note - The Metals are different so they will expand at different rates.

Another Method of Heating the Scriber Body up would be to use a large Soldering Iron.

Get Someone else to help You and using small Screwdrivers or Jewellers Screwdrivers try and Drag the Scriber Tip out by using the Screwdrivers through opposing slits. Perhaps try this before and after Heating.

Good Luck with it.

P.S. Just a thought Years ago when I was fixing the Front Shocks on a Motorbike that I had. I found out the method to remove the Fork Tubes (stanchions) was to wrap a towel (soaked in boiling water) around the Aluminium lower section and leave it for a bit. Then the Fork Tube came out quite easily.

slhouetteV8
30th January 2012, 10:09 AM
That scribe must be pretty well ground down to be sitting that deep. Looks like someone has tightened the lock nut without reversing the scribe and the jaws have bent in? Id open the jaws up, the big end of the scribe shouldn't fit in the body the hole is only big enough for the tip.

There is a groove at the end of the scribe and a male part inside the jaws that that locks the scribe in place.

Abratool
30th January 2012, 10:26 AM
Phil
How about heating the end of the scriber up to red heat, cool slowly (say in lime) so as to anneal the internal scriber.
Set it up in the lathe at high speed & D bit then drill out the old scriber.
Reharden & temper jaws.
regards
Bruce
ps This should work providing the original scriber was not carbide tipped.

slhouetteV8
30th January 2012, 10:53 AM
Phil
How about heating the end of the scriber up to red heat, cool slowly (say in lime) so as to anneal the internal scriber.
Set it up in the lathe at high speed & D bit then drill out the old scriber.
Reharden & temper jaws.
regards
Bruce
ps This should work providing the original scriber was not carbide tipped.

Cactus maybe, lol. Don't pay more than it cost :C

RayG
30th January 2012, 12:57 PM
Hi Phil,

Here's a couple of dumb ideas for you..

How about trying instant freeze, you can get it at Jaycar. Freeze the whole thing, and then heat the outside quickly.

If it won't come out forwards, can you push it the other way?

Regards
Ray

Steamwhisperer
30th January 2012, 01:54 PM
Looks like the hole it's hiding in is about 1/8".
How about solf soldering a draw wire to the tip and pulling it out?
The heat shouldn't so anything to the hardness and you can scrap or sand the solder off once its out.
Joe
Hi Joe
Good idea although I can only guess you haven't seen me soft solder before. I might practice first if it comes to this.

Hi Phil,
Have you tried screwing the "lock nut" most of the way on, then dropping it vertically(lock nut down of course) onto a concrete floor(or a steel plate)?

Stuart
Hi Stuart
I have been doing this one for about 3000 repetitions now. I have to be careful as the thread is very fine

HI:),
A couple of suggestions.
Boil some Water in a Pot and Place the end of the Scriber in it for about 30 Seconds whilst its Boiling (watch out for the Steam don't burn yourself). With the Lock Nut on a bit put the lock nut on before the scriber goes into the water. Try tapping the back end of the scriber for example underneath a workbench or try tapping the open end downwards. Note - The Metals are different so they will expand at different rates.

Another Method of Heating the Scriber Body up would be to use a large Soldering Iron.

Get Someone else to help You and using small Screwdrivers or Jewellers Screwdrivers try and Drag the Scriber Tip out by using the Screwdrivers through opposing slits. Perhaps try this before and after Heating.

Good Luck with it.

P.S. Just a thought Years ago when I was fixing the Front Shocks on a Motorbike that I had. I found out the method to remove the Fork Tubes (stanchions) was to wrap a towel (soaked in boiling water) around the Aluminium lower section and leave it for a bit. Then the Fork Tube came out quite easily.

Hi Steran
I tried the boiling water with no joy and of course my gas torch is at work (must remember to bring it home).
If I don't have any luck in the meantime I will give the torch a shot

Steamwhisperer
30th January 2012, 02:38 PM
Normally I can figure most things out and it invariably gets down to someone doing something silly that gets me into trouble(normally thats me). But, on this occasion it has been someone else woo hoo. I took the bull by the horns as after trying some of the less destructive methods suggested by everyone, many thanks...again and probably again and again, and bent the collet wings out (more than I normally would have liked) and got the pointy nosed pliers, grabbed and pulled as hard as I could.
Look at what I found, obviously hammered into the body of the scriber
It all seems much clearer now
Thanks again for the suggestions everyone

Phil

Bryan
30th January 2012, 04:08 PM
So. A tap shank used as a scriber that someone mistook for a centre punch.

Steamwhisperer
30th January 2012, 04:29 PM
Haha. Spot on Bryan

mcostello
31st January 2012, 04:09 AM
Could you duct tape the scriber to a small hammer and tap the hammer on a solid surface to dislodge.Excuse my language as I am from the USA.:)

Steamwhisperer
31st January 2012, 06:42 AM
That's not a bad idea at all mcostello.
I wish I had thought of that one sooner. It's in the memory bank now.
I did eventually get it out though and will machine up and heat treat an appropriate new one.

Phil

kwijibo99
31st January 2012, 08:49 AM
Hi Phil,
I found 2.5mm TIG tungstens make very good scribers and they are only a few dollars from BOC etc.
I used what was left of one to replace the tip on my old Moore & Wright scriber and it works a treat.
They probably are not the best if you use your scriber as a center punch though. :doh:
Cheers,
Greg.

Steamwhisperer
31st January 2012, 01:07 PM
Thanks Greg
I will keep that in mind. I normally use the needles out of needle guns which hold points extremely well. Hopefully I can get the right size needle. If not I will look at the TIG rods.

Phil